[comp.sys.amiga] getting a list of screens/windows in C

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/15/89)

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 89 14:16 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: getting a list of screens/windows in C
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a piece of code which (emulating
my Symbolics lisp-machine) will install a function key to select a
specified window.  For example, one keystroke would always bring up the
editor, one would bring up the shell, etc.  I'd probably make it either
a resident function installed on a hotkey using Qmouse or something like
it, or perhaps a function which I would compile into some other sort of
hotkeys program (wkeys?).  Note that this is a bit different than the
more-typical front-screen-to-back type keystroke--personally, I hate
having to look through a whole bunch of screens just to find my editor
window.

I figure that the easiest way to recognize a window/screen of a given
program is by its title bar, though that may not be the best idea.  My
current stage in all this is that I'm just starting to muck around in
intuition and system stuff on the amiga and I'd appreciate any
suggestions anybody might have.

As a starting point for some experimentation, I was wondering if
somebody could give me a tip on the following points:

1.  Do I want to be looking at screens or at windows (or, do I want to
look, for a given screen, at all of its inferior windows) ?

2.  How can I get at a list of screens / windows?  (I think I have to
get a pointer to the first one from IntuitionBase and then follow
pointers to successive screens/windows).

3.  Anybody else think something like this might be useful?  Anybody
seen something like this before on the amiga?

thanks!

monty
kosma@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com