[comp.sys.amiga] F-18 interceptor

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (06/16/88)

	Not only does the game ask you for the security code multiple times
BUT hard coded into the program is 'df0:' which is where the program looks
for the sound, picture, etc. files that it needs.  This means that even if
you copy the program to your hard disk, you STILL need the disk in df0:.
You can use NewZap to search the executable 'F-18 Interceptor' and replace
all occurances of 'df1:' with 'f18:' (for example).  If you then assign
'F18:' to the directory where the game resides, you'll never need the
disk again. :^)

	Happy flying!

	Regards, David Berezowski

tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) (02/08/89)

I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,speed......Is there
something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
                                   HELP!!!!!!!

gaynor@salmon.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) (02/08/89)

In article <5507@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) writes:
>I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,speed......Is there
>something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
>                                   HELP!!!!!!!

Add my name to the list of people wanting that information.  I've tried
missles, (both types) guns, flares, even kamikaze, but to no avail.  This
has become quite frustrating for someone who has been playing long enough
to land on the carrier with their eyes closed (ok, so I peeked.)  So please,
if you've done this (or even know someone who's done this) tell us how!

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      Internet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu |
| "Success lies in achieving the top of the food chain." - Jubal Harshaw      |
|  My opinions are utterly and totally mine and are probably copywritten, too.|

primrod@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Don Primrose) (02/08/89)

In article <5507@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) writes:
>I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,speed......Is there
>something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
>                                   HELP!!!!!!!

From what I've been told, you must shoot four missles successively into the
tower. I have not been able to get more than three in and have not spoken to
anyone who has sunk the carrier.

				Don

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=  Don Primrose : Oregon State University				       =
=  primrod@jacobs.cs.orst.edu						       =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (02/08/89)

> gaynor writes:
>
> MSG-ID: <34204@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>
> Org.  : Ohio State University Computer and Information Science
>
> In article <5507@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight
> - Computing Services) writes:
> >I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the
> carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,
> speed......Is there
> >something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
> >                                   HELP!!!!!!!
>
> Add my name to the list of people wanting that information.

Just stay up long enough to shoot down about 4 or 5 MIGs.  After that, you
should get the "mission completed" message without ever having to "bomb" the
carrier.

    //    ///         Usenet:  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a23
  \X/oel ///urray     CIS:     73200,3117

griff@intelob.biin.com (Richard Griffith) (02/09/89)

In article <34204@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@salmon.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) writes:

>   In article <5507@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) writes:
>>I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,speed......Is there
>>something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
>>                                   HELP!!!!!!!
>
> Add my name to the list of people wanting that information.  I've tried
> missles, (both types) guns, flares, even kamikaze, but to no avail.  This
> has become quite frustrating for someone who has been playing long enough
> to land on the carrier with their eyes closed (ok, so I peeked.)  So please,
> if you've done this (or even know someone who's done this) tell us how!
>  -=-
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

   Try Knocking down all 4 (yes four, there are two at first, then there
are at least two more launched) migs, and hitting the conning tower.  You
don't have to do this in a specified order.  You may have to find your
way back to the carrier for re-arming :-)

                                - griff

* Richard E. Griffith      *   "Someday soon we'll stop to ponder -      *
*    "griff"		   * 	What on Earth's this spell we're under?  *
* BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.	   *    We made the grade, but still we wonder - *
* (When are we getting	   *    Who the Hell we are?"                    *
*  Our own Usenet node?)   * 		    - Styx "Grand Illusion"      *
* These opinions are mine only, `cuz nobody'd pay for drivel like this!  *

alj@bilver.UUCP (arthur johnson) (02/09/89)

Let's try again (first posting to UseNet and it's empty):
 You need to shoot down ALL the MIG's before you can sink the carrier.  I've
seen people just blow it away with a few missiles once the MIG's are gone, so
I don't know about the "four missiles to the tower" idea.

--
Arthur Johnson Jr. -=> {uiucuxc, hoptoad, petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!alj
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  -=> alj@bilver.UUCP

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (02/09/89)

In article <34204@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@salmon.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) writes:
> In article <5507@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) writes:
> >I hope someone out there can help me with this. How do you sink the carrier????  I think I've tried just above every angle, height,speed......Is there
> >something specific you have to hit like maybe the square on the deck?
> >                                   HELP!!!!!!!

	I've never been able to sink the sub, although I've been able to
complete the mission successfully.  Basically, you just have to shoot down
all of the enemy planes.  If I recall there are something like 4 or 5
planes that you have to down.  If you take the the straight forward
method and fly right into the Migs, it will be extremely difficult to
survive as the Migs seem quite adept at avoiding your missiles as well
as ganging up on you to confuse your radar.  What I've down is play a bit
of hide-and-seek.  Fly into the enemy for a one pass firing of missiles
at the Migs, and quickly get out of the area.  If there is only one
Mig left tailing you, you can attempt to turn back.  If there are more
than one Migs you try to draw one of the Migs away and then fly below
100 ft so they can't see you on radar.  Then when the Migs are sufficiently
confused and apart you pounce upon one of them.  It's also likely that
you will need to return to the carrier to rearm before finishing off
the rest of the Migs.  Also beware that once you land on the carrier
you are still vulnerable to enemy fire.  For this reason, usually one of
the Migs becomes permanantly stationed around your carrier to meet you
on a return flight.

			Wilson Cheung

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (02/09/89)

	Oh, I forgot to add one other piece of advice.  In the sub mission
you'll probably need to use your guns to down a plane.  Quite often I've
had to switch off my missiles and use my guns, simply because the enemy
Migs are too evasive.  On several occassions I've had the tail of a Mig
in range only to have several missiles fly by him!

			Wilson Cheung

web@PRC.Unisys.COM (William E. Byrd) (02/09/89)

Kill, kill, kill ... land ... take off and kill, kill, kill.

You win!!!!

But you can NOT sink the sub.

--
Bill Byrd: UUCP {seismo|sdcrdcf|psuvax ...}!burdvax!web
	   ARPA web@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (02/09/89)

>	I've never been able to sink the sub, although I've been able to
>complete the mission successfully.  Basically, you just have to shoot down
>all of the enemy planes.  If I recall there are something like 4 or 5

Well there is always the old japanese trick of Kamakaze.  Has anybody tried it?

	Sri

hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) (02/10/89)

In article aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:

>>	I've never been able to sink the sub, although I've been able to
>>complete the mission successfully.  Basically, you just have to shoot down
>>all of the enemy planes.  If I recall there are something like 4 or 5

>Well there is always the old japanese trick of Kamakaze.  Has anybody tried it?

Actually, after downing all the migs arround the sub, you don't have to
return to your carrier. You can land on the sub and it will indicate that your
mission is completed. A friend of mine tried it and it worked.

PS: Does anyone know where the Electronics Arts building is in the game ?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
hpchang@rose.waterloo.{edu,cdn}		Hsi P. Chang
hpchang@rose.uwaterloo.ca		3B Computer Science, Co-op.
uunet!watmath!rose!hpchang		University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (02/11/89)

In article <11400@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) writes:

>PS: Does anyone know where the Electronics Arts building is in the game ?

	Cross the bay from east to west following the San Mateo Bridge (the
	one furthest to the south. It will be at the end.

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
The official word, is NO. I am therefore going anyway!
   						         Kirk - Star Trek III

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/11/89)

hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) writes:
>PS: Does anyone know where the Electronics Arts building is in the game ?

Start a mission at San Francisco airport. Zoom way down in and you'll see
a road heading north/south. taxi over to that road - it's Pacific Coast
Highway (I think). Head south and just follow the road. Taxiing down PCH
at about 300mph is kinda fun :-). Eventually you'll see a side street
going off to the left with a couple of two story white boxy looking
buildings on it.  That's E/A's building. You can fire missiles at it
all day long but all you'll be able to do is make it smoke. I don't remember
seeing any kind of signs or labels on the building, it's been a few
months since I did this.  Someone on the net who knows that geography
well could probably give you a better approximation of how far south
E/A's place is from San Francisco.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (02/15/89)

In article <399@bilver.UUCP>, alj@bilver.UUCP (arthur johnson) writes:

> Let's try again (first posting to UseNet and it's empty):
>  You need to shoot down ALL the MIG's before you can sink the carrier.  I've
> seen people just blow it away with a few missiles once the MIG's are gone, so
> I don't know about the "four missiles to the tower" idea.

	As far as I know you don't have to sink the carrier to complete the
mission.  Once you down all the Migs, you get a congratulatory message telling
you to return to your carrier.  However, I guess after working so hard
to down the Migs you probably would want the satisfaction of destroying the
carrier.

					Wilson Cheung

mdh@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Mark Holroyd) (02/27/89)

if you hit it`s conning tower and then land on the deck you get the message
mission complete, return to carrier. It takes a bit of practice to land on its
deck and to take off again you need quite a long run up. I taxi to the bow of
the ship and then accelerate towards the other end.

	Also about F-16 Falcon. I have attempted to make a backup of it but
have had some trouble actually copying it. It will let me copy both disks but
the first one seems to include a routine that determines whether that disk is a
copy - if it is then you are allowed to take off but after about 20 seconds all
systems fail and you crash ! Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know
of a copyier that will overcome this and does anyone know of or have any idea
how to write a bit-copyier ?
	Also to do with Falcon, is there any truth in the rumour that it won`t
let you set up a serial link with another computer using the same copy (or its
first disk and a copy of its second disk.) ?

	Thanks alot,
		Mark.

scott@vpk4.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (03/02/89)

In article <1368@ubu.warwick.UUCP> you write:

>	Also about F-16 Falcon. I have attempted to make a backup of it but
>have had some trouble actually copying it. It will let me copy both disks but
>the first one seems to include a routine that determines whether that disk is a
>copy - if it is then you are allowed to take off but after about 20 seconds all
>systems fail and you crash ! Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know
>of a copyier that will overcome this and does anyone know of or have any idea
>how to write a bit-copyier ?

I have successfully copied falcon using marauder (brain 10) in order to
keep my origionals from being written. I have had no problems with the copy
at all.

>	Also to do with Falcon, is there any truth in the rumour that it won`t
>let you set up a serial link with another computer using the same copy (or its
>first disk and a copy of its second disk.) ?

No truth to that whatsoever on the amiga version. I have played the game at
a friends place between two Amigas at 19.2 and had no problems using the
same copy on each machine.

If you are going to connect serially between two systems, I would
reccommend that you direct connect with a serial cable at play at 19.2. At
1200 baud I have noticed the response to be sluggish and slow, at 19.2 the
response is as fast as the sinple player version against computer planes.
Anyone who can set it up should try it at 19.2 with another person, the
game is amazing between human players (very unpredictable and always fun to
be able to talk to the person you are trying to shoot down :-) ).

BTW, Does anyone with connections to Spectrum Holobyte read this group?

If you don't already own this game, run out and buy it now. This is far and
above the best flight simulation software I have ever seen and I have
played many. The game is apperently quite accurate in its simulation,
except the joystick on a real F-16 is sensistive to degrees of tilt. The
game, due to hardware (?), can only detect direction. This is according to
an actual F-16 pilot trying the game.

I completed F-18 Interceptor in two weeks, I have been playing F-16 since
mid-December with the same level on intensity and I am currently just
halfway through Lt. Colonel. This is one very tough game to beat, but worth
it. The manual has a biblography of ten books available on a variety of
approp. subjects. THIS IS A GREAT GAME.

Review: ***** (5 Stars)

--
     -------     Scott T. MacQuarrie
   -====------   Senior Technical Consultant, Toronto Branch, AT&T Canada

P.S. Opinions expressed are my own and represent neither statement nor
     policy of AT&T or AT&T Canada Inc.

hpchang@rose.waterloo.edu (Hsi P. Chang) (03/02/89)

In article mdh@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Mark Holroyd) writes:

>	Also about F-16 Falcon. I have attempted to make a backup of it but
>have had some trouble actually copying it. It will let me copy both disks but
>the first one seems to include a routine that determines whether that disk is a
>copy - if it is then you are allowed to take off but after about 20 seconds all
>systems fail and you crash ! Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know
>of a copyier that will overcome this and does anyone know of or have any idea
>how to write a bit-copyier ?

Well, I have F16 Falcon running off the Wedge HardDrive without any problem.
The only thing is that everytime it access files on the hard drive, the light on
the df0: drive flashes (but I don't think any access is done).

Thus I think you have a problem with your copy. Mine sure works just fine.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (03/03/89)

In article <4197@vpk4.UUCP> scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) writes:

>If you are going to connect serially between two systems, I would
>reccommend that you direct connect with a serial cable at play at 19.2. At
>1200 baud I have noticed the response to be sluggish and slow, at 19.2 the
>response is as fast as the sinple player version against computer planes.

I've played at 19.2, and found that it is about 1/3 the speed of a one-player
game.  Apparently, they must be doing something REALLY STUPID like sending
coordinates, waiting for a reply, then doing calculations!!  It's still fun,
but at 19.2, I would expect NO slowdown.

>If you don't already own this game, run out and buy it now. This is far and
>above the best flight simulation software I have ever seen and I have
>played many. The game is apperently quite accurate in its simulation,
>except the joystick on a real F-16 is sensistive to degrees of tilt. The
>game, due to hardware (?), can only detect direction. This is according to
>an actual F-16 pilot trying the game.

I'm afraid I'm not so enthusiastic about the game as I'd like to be.  The
scenarios are great, but the joystick control SUCKS!!!  F18's controls are
far superior.  In F16, the joystick uses an exponentially sensitive control,
which, if you hold it in one direction for any length of time, instantly
puts you in a tailspin.  I was a little annoyed at first, but after a
while, I found that I still couldn't get used to the controls.

Secondly, I want it to work with my 020.  Enuf said.

>Review: ***** (5 Stars)

My Review: **+ ( would be 4 if joystick controls were fixed )

-Vince

primrod@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Don Primrose) (03/03/89)

>>played many. The game is apperently quite accurate in its simulation,
>>except the joystick on a real F-16 is sensistive to degrees of tilt. The
>>game, due to hardware (?), can only detect direction. This is according to
>>an actual F-16 pilot trying the game.
>
>I'm afraid I'm not so enthusiastic about the game as I'd like to be.  The
>scenarios are great, but the joystick control SUCKS!!!  F18's controls are
>far superior.  In F16, the joystick uses an exponentially sensitive control,
>which, if you hold it in one direction for any length of time, instantly
>puts you in a tailspin.  I was a little annoyed at first, but after a
>while, I found that I still couldn't get used to the controls.

I'd have to agree with you here. The joystick control is terrible. Not only
does it require a exponential joystick ( which I can't find for the Amiga ),
but it also is impossible to turn and pull back at the same time which works
for F-18 no problem. In other words, the game does not respond to corner
positions on the joystick control which are vital in combat situations!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

petersed@spot.Colorado.EDU (Dan Petersen) (03/04/89)

>	Also about F-16 Falcon. I have attempted to make a backup of it but
>have had some trouble actually copying it. It will let me copy both disks but
>the first one seems to include a routine that determines whether that disk is a
>copy - if it is then you are allowed to take off but after about 20 seconds all
>systems fail and you crash ! Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know
>of a copyier that will overcome this and does anyone know of or have any idea
>how to write a bit-copyier ?

I have had no problem making a backup copy of Falcon using the standard
Amigados copy command.  The crash you talk about occurs when enter
the wrong code from the code wheel.  Falcon gives you two chances, if
you blow both times, Falcon will load but your plane crashes just
after you get in the air.

Dan

mick@neabbs.UUCP (MICK AGTERBERG) (03/06/89)

have you tried 81 tracks x-copy nible?

ywcheun@cs.vu.nl (Cheung Y W) (11/15/89)

You cannot destroy the Sovjet carrier/sub. All what you have to do
in this last mission is to shoot down four MiGs. Sometimes one of
the MiGs launch a Cruise Missile. This mission is the most difficult
of all. I'll give you a few hints:

Shoot only at a MiG if you are on his 6 o'clock. Don't shoot if it is
going be a head to head attack. Take your time to lock him.

You can land on the Sovjet carrier/sub. There you will get new fresh
armement and new fuel. But landing on that little sub is too
difficult and if you managed to get there you will have to place your
jet in a good position to take off. But look out. The enemy also shoot
at his own ship!

The best point to fight is exactly between your carrier and the enemy
sub. A launched cruise missile can be quickly tracked. Just stay there
until you have won the battle.

Because you cannot shoot down the enemy sub you will not need to fly
very low. To fight, go to a altitude somewhat higher than the MiGs.
There you can best to run him out.

A Cruise Missile can be best shoot down at his own altitude with a
AIM9L.

Yam-Wah Cheung (ywcheun@cs.vu.nl)