[comp.sys.amiga] Unix System V

clennox@lynx.northeastern.edu (10/27/89)

I heard that Unix System V is available for the Amiga.  Does anyone
out there know what kind of hardware I need to run it, and roughly
how much it would cost me?

					Thanks,

					Craig.

jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer) (11/01/89)

I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.  From what I
hear there should be somethin soon, but I don't know much more.  Does anybody
know which AMIGAs it will work on?

UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!jeffw
 DDN: crash!pro-graphics!jeffw@nosc.mil
INET: crash!jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com

ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) (11/03/89)

In article <636@crash.cts.com> jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer) writes:
>I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.

Commodore was at the UNIX International Booth at UNIX EXPO this week
demoing UNIX System V Release 4.0 on a 2500.

Ry Schwark

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (11/04/89)

In article <2712@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark,sf,) writes:
>Commodore was at the UNIX International Booth at UNIX EXPO this week
>demoing UNIX System V Release 4.0 on a 2500.

Whoah! Reality check here!  Did you really mean _Release 4.0_ ?   4? Four?
F-O-U-R?  Pardon my incredulous look, but this would be too cool.  Did you
see the system running ?  Are there any surprising details to note?  Folks
in the Atari group (while lamenting vaporware products from Atari) have been
implying that Unix on the Amiga is a vaporware product.  Looks like we are
getting very close to reality with Amiga Unix.  Very exciting!

Note: I do not share the opinion that Amix has been a vaporware product.
IMHO Commodore has done a great job of restricting product announcements to
items which were available in a reasonable time frame.  Great job, guys!
--
John Lindwall                     |   "Not my employer opinions; mine"
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM     |   a man, a plan, a beer, reeban alpa nama

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/04/89)

[warning:  VERY silly message follows]

In article <2712@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) writes:

> In article <636@crash.cts.com> jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer) writes:
> >I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.
>
> Commodore was at the UNIX International Booth at UNIX EXPO this week
> demoing UNIX System V Release 4.0 on a 2500.
>
> Ry Schwark

How does Commodore-Amiga expect to keep the Amiga "the best kept
secret in the computer industry" if they do things like this?

Ugh!

:-)

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli    -- limonce@pilot.njin.net        Standard Disclaimer
CM 1060           -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet

chip@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Chip Christ) (11/04/89)

In article <137@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>Whoah! Reality check here!  Did you really mean _Release 4.0_ ?

Yep!  That's what I was told, too.  It's not ready for release, only
because CBM wants to be sure that the SVR4 base is really stable, they
claim.  According to the guy with whom I spoke, CBM was this far (thumb
& index finger held about 1/4 inch apart ;-) from releasing an SVR3
based Amix when 4.0 became available to vendors, so they decided to
go with it.

BTW, they also had Amix running on a 2000, with an '020 board, but
I'm not sure now if that, too, was SVR4, or the previous version.

Chip

space@ncc1701.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (11/09/89)

In article <2712@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) writes:
>In article <636@crash.cts.com> jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer) writes:
>>I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.
>
>Commodore was at the UNIX International Booth at UNIX EXPO this week
>demoing UNIX System V Release 4.0 on a 2500.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they're going to be able to actually sell it in
the next ten years. Remember, it's Commodore we're talking about!

--
Lars Soltau     bang: ...uunet!unido!nadia!ncc1701!space    BIX: --no bucks--
                smart: ncc1701!space@nadia.UUCP

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (11/15/89)

In article <636@crash.cts.com> jeffw@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jeff Waltzer) writes:
>I hear that there are Commodore trying to port UNIX to the AMIGA.  From what I
>hear there should be somethin soon, but I don't know much more.  Does anybody
>know which AMIGAs it will work on?

Well, I don't know where this guy has been hiding since the Amix port
has been a hot topic in a number of areas ...

anyway, I want to report a "sighting".

At Unix Expo held recently in NYC I was wandering around, glanced at
one of the displays and there was a couple of Amiga's there.  They had
3 Amiga 2000's all told (woulda been more impressive to have an
A500 there as well) at the show two in the X portion of the Unix International
booth and the other in, I think, a "generic" portion of the booth.

The machines were all A2500UX's with 5 megs of memory and the big Moniterm
screens.  At least one of the machines was running SysV *release* *4*
and another was running r3.2.  (r4 was announced the first day of the
show).  The two in the X section was running X under Unix (The last I
heard about a window manager for Amix was they were going to roll
their own, I'm glad they got talked out of that) along with the
Motif (er.. right name?  The AT&T product is the one I mean) bells
and whistles (er, toolkit).

Oh yeah, at least one of the machines had a tape drive in it which
connected to SCSI somewhere.  (cartridge tape)

I didn't ask about availability.

The downside of all this is that their fonts were "screwed up" and
the screen was missing about half the bells and whistles that were
supposed to be there.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/16/89)

In article <13244@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>The two in the X section was running X under Unix (The last I
>heard about a window manager for Amix was they were going to roll
>their own, I'm glad they got talked out of that) along with the
>Motif (er.. right name?  The AT&T product is the one I mean) bells
>and whistles (er, toolkit).

Open Look is the AT&T Window Manager.  Motif is OSF.  Commodore should
have both available.

>The downside of all this is that their fonts were "screwed up" and
>the screen was missing about half the bells and whistles that were
>supposed to be there.

This font thing was taken care of the first day of the show.  As far
as I know all the 'bells and whistles' were working the second day
of the show.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag