[comp.sys.amiga] GVP Hardcard Problem

nraoaoc@nmtsun.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (11/15/89)

In article <402@brown3.UUCP> leed@cell.mot.COM (Dwight Lee) writes:
>Pat Palmer (ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu) writes:
>>I have a problem with a GVP 40meg Quantum hardcard in an A2000.  I am
>
>Yes, that's exactly what happened to me (and still happens occasionally).  I
>called up GVP and was told to do the following:
...Series of tips
>Supposedly GVP has some kind of replacement chip for the Quantum drive which
>will increase the amount of current applied to the drive at start-up.  I'm not
>sure whether they'll send it to us or whether we have to send the drives back
>in.  I beieve that the chip is directly from Quantum, so it may be available
>from other sources.  Anyone out there that has followed up on this situation?

Yes, I did today.  GVP was helpful as usual and very responsive.  The problem
is a chip on the Quantum drive, and Quantum has provided an upgrade.  GVP
will mail the chip to me (no charge) in the next day or two.  Meanwhile, my
harddrive is working again, except for occassional minor problems.  So, I
am looking forward to getting the new chip.  My impression is you will have to
ask for the chip.

I want to thank all  of the people who sent me information about this problem.
I cannot seem to get email through to all addresses.

Pat Palmer (email:  ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (11/16/89)

In article <3496@nmtsun.nmt.edu> nraoaoc@jupiter.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) writes:
>In article <402@brown3.UUCP> leed@cell.mot.COM (Dwight Lee) writes:
>>Pat Palmer (ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu) writes:
>>>I have a problem with a GVP 40meg Quantum hardcard in an A2000.  I am
>>
>>Yes, that's exactly what happened to me (and still happens occasionally).  I
>>called up GVP and was told to do the following:
>...Series of tips
>>Supposedly GVP has some kind of replacement chip for the Quantum drive which
>>will increase the amount of current applied to the drive at start-up.  I'm not

Apple owners have also had many problems with the quantum drives, and are
VERY unsatisfied with the fix Apple has provided for it.  I believe it is
the same fix that you are talking about.

Also, as well as increasing the current at startup, it "exercises" the head's
arm every once in awhile.  While this is going on, disk accesses become VERY
slow.  Apple users are VERY dissatisfied with the fix.  Supposedly, there
was at least one magazine article about their dissatisfaction.

>                                                                  The problem
>is a chip on the Quantum drive, and Quantum has provided an upgrade.

No, the problem is with the grease for the spindle of the hard drive.
A new ROM to increase the startup current and exercise the arm is a
(problematic) fix.

Refer to comp.sys.mac for more info, including a graph of the slowdown caused
by the "fix".

I was ready (except for the money) to buy a MicroBotics HardFrame / Quantum 40Mb
drive combination, but unless Quantum fixes things SOON and does it WELL (AND
shows that they won't screw their current customers), I'm going to be
looking for another hard drive.

Any suggestions for a good, fast, RELIABLE, reasonably priced SCSI drive
around the 40-80 Mb range?

>Pat Palmer (email:  ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

Rodney Ricks
--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse College