From:	FEDEX::"amiga-relay-request@louie.udel.edu" 21-SEP-1989 07:36:40.96
To:	ESDC$SPAN::CASEBOLT
CC:
Subj:	The Works Platinum

From: Rocky Lhotka <glamdrng@pnet51.orb.mn.org>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: The Works Platinum
Date: 21 Sep 89 05:05:04 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@udel.edu
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

Has anyone had any experience with 'The Works Platinum' or any of the previous
'The Works' stuff?  Are they any good?  Are they worth the $250-$300 pricetag?
I am looking in particular for a decent spreadsheet which does acceptable
graphing of the data...  Thanks!

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!glamdrng
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!glamdrng@nosc.mil
INET: glamdrng@pnet51.orb.mn.org

I have read a review recently of THE WORKS...It seems to be a decent program
but the price of $250-300 dollar price range is out of my buget range...
I have seen it ALOT CHEAPER mail order...... $100-200 range ..
They basicallly put previously released programs together in one package
and released them as THE WORKS... I cannot recall the names of all the programs
but ONLINE is the communications program and I think SCRIBBLE is the word
processor...

Richard Casebolt
205-544-2966

		//
	       //
            \\//
             \/

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/23/89)

In article <24636@louie.udel.EDU> somebody writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with 'The Works Platinum' or any of the previous
>'The Works' stuff?  Are they any good?  Are they worth the $250-$300 pricetag?
>I am looking in particular for a decent spreadsheet which does acceptable
>graphing of the data...  Thanks!

If you are just looking for a decent spreadsheet, then you may want to
look at spreadsheets, rather than a software collection such as The
Works.  I believe the spreadsheet in The Works is Analyze!.  (May not
be identical to Analyze!, but close)

Decent spreadsheets that come to mind are PlanIt (a rewrite of MaxiPlan)
and Superplan (a rewrite of Logistix).  I  can't speak for PlanIt or
Maxiplan, but I've found Superplan's graphics to be reasonable, and the
output is very good, as it generates bitmaps at the resolution of your
printer (as opposed to simple screen dumps, which is what some of the
earlier spreadsheets did.)

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (11/16/89)

I am about to purchase "The Works Platinum" from someone sight unseen for
$100 Canadian ($85 US) and want to know if this is a good deal.  Could
someone give me a bit of a review of the product?  How is the word processor
that comes with it?  I hear it is just Scribble.  I now have Excellence but
am not happy with it.  Is the WP in "The Works" better than the regular
old Scribble that used to be sold?  Is it WYSIWYG?  Is it better than
Excellence?  How are the database and spreadsheet?  Are they "Amigaized"?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +