[comp.sys.amiga] Large animations

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/07/89)

There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
megs of memory. Perhaps in the future the 8MB demos could be done
in such a way as to run in a small amount of memory, and be read from
the hard disk on the fly. This would make large anims available to a
much larger audience.

I don't know what the machanics are exactly, but I do know that current
controllers and disks ahould be able to keep up if the disk isn't too
fragmented.

Any comments?

--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

bn@attcc.UUCP (11/08/89)

/* Written  5:14 pm  Nov  6, 1989 by sean@ms.uky.edu
There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
megs of memory. Perhaps in the future the 8MB demos could be done
in such a way as to run in a small amount of memory, and be read from
the hard disk on the fly. This would make large anims available to a
much larger audience.

Check out the DISKANIM program that came with the October/November issue of
Amiga+ magazine. It does exactly what you're talking about.

Bo

UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (11/09/89)

.> There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
.> megs of memory. Perhaps in the future the 8MB demos could be done
.> in such a way as to run in a small amount of memory, and be read from
.> the hard disk on the fly. This would make large anims available to a
.> much larger audience.

Well, there is a PD program out there called DiskAnim.  Basically
it will play anims off of a hard disk.  I haven't tried it yet,
because I don't have an anim that big.

zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) (11/09/89)

>There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
>megs of memory. Perhaps in the future the 8MB demos could be done
>in such a way as to run in a small amount of memory, and be read from
>the hard disk on the fly. This would make large anims available to a
>much larger audience.
>
>Any comments?

Yeah.
What's the point?

Tom Smythe, of Real-Time-Systems, the *BEST* seattle amiga dealer
(Sorry, OMNI international, but you're overpriced slow and stupid)
for the recent computer fair, put together an *ELEVEN* megabyte animation
featuring a side-view of a dragon which would turn its head and the camera
pan angle would move 180 degrees.  IMHO, it was one of the best graphic
demos there, and there was some pretty spiffy and expensive Equipment.

But...The point is He was running 11 megabytes internal chip-addressable ram.
No hard-drive access.

He got around this limitation by using a 32-bit memory addressing
board (Not manufactured by commodore, to my knowledge, but by a second-
party company) and the results were really superb.

For large animations, I think THIS should be the trend and not the obvious
tending toward hard-drive dependancy.

--
|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (11/10/89)

In article <652@milton.acs.washington.edu> zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) writes:
$>There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
$>megs of memory. Perhaps in the future the 8MB demos could be done
$>in such a way as to run in a small amount of memory, and be read from
$>the hard disk on the fly. This would make large anims available to a
$>much larger audience.
$>
$>Any comments?
$
$Yeah.
$What's the point?
$
$Tom Smythe, of Real-Time-Systems, the *BEST* seattle amiga dealer
$(Sorry, OMNI international, but you're overpriced slow and stupid)

Thats funny I did a request for dealer evaluation about four or five
months ago and I got a lot of compliments about OMNI International and
absoluly no complaints.  I guess the old saying still holds (if you got
nothing good to say refrain!

$for the recent computer fair, put together an *ELEVEN* megabyte animation
$featuring a side-view of a dragon which would turn its head and the camera
$pan angle would move 180 degrees.  IMHO, it was one of the best graphic
$demos there, and there was some pretty spiffy and expensive Equipment.
$
The animation of which you speak was created by Glen Grahm the same person
who created the shuttle disk for Sculpt 4D.  I can at least agree with this
opinion!

$But...The point is He was running 11 megabytes internal chip-addressable ram.
$No hard-drive access.
$

Boy 11 megs of INTERNAL CHIP-ADDRESSABLE RAM.  I guess he also had special
versions of the custom chips designed by Jay Miner to address this much chip
Huh?  What he was running was a CSA 020 board with piggyback 030. The
CSA Dragstrip with dual 2058's populated with 4 megs each. And one more 2058
in another slot, So this gives us...

8 megs CSA Dragstrip
2 megs A2058
1 Megs Chip
11 megs total.

$He got around this limitation by using a 32-bit memory addressing
$board (Not manufactured by commodore, to my knowledge, but by a second-
$party company) and the results were really superb.
$
$For large animations, I think THIS should be the trend and not the obvious
$tending toward hard-drive dependancy.
$
So if I unedrstand you right then we should forego the writing of software
that will enable us to run animations larger than the amount of available ram.
Sounds pretty short sighted to me!

I guess I shouldn't be so critical but the slam against a Good dealer without
supportive evidence really burns me.  Omni works damn hard to sell the Amiga
and also to help out the amiga community in general. Nuff Said!

$
$--
$|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
$|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |
$|ZENO@blake.acs.washington.edu |          mean it or not"                |
$|   Savery hall, room 135.     |                                         |

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

[animations running from hard drives]

In article <652@milton.acs.washington.edu> zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) writes:
> Yeah.
> What's the point?

Hard rives are a LOT cheaper and a LOT larger than big-ram systems.

[fancy 11-meg animation deleted]

Which could have been run off the hard drive, and that way you could do
a 110 Meg animation just as easily.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-' "IT'S THE TWO GODDAMNED CULTURES AGAIN !*! Bit-brained nerdery on one

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (11/11/89)

In article <652@milton.acs.washington.edu> zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) writes:
>>There are quite a few more machines with hard disks than with 8
	[stuff about disk anim deleted]
>Yeah.
>What's the point?
	[BS about nifty anim deleted]
>But...The point is He was running 11 megabytes internal chip-addressable ram.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>For large animations, I think THIS should be the trend and not the obvious
>tending toward hard-drive dependancy.

>|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |

What's the point?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

I'll tell you what the point is.  The point is that this guy was running
some very bizarre and EXPENSIVE hardware.  Let's look at this reasonablly.

A large hard drive, like say a 100 meg SCSI Quantum and a GVP hard card cost
about $1200, while RAM is going for much more.  Say a Microbotics 8UP with 8
megs RAM is $1795.  This is not your mythical 11 meg 32-bit
Super-non-standard-won't-autoconfig-worth-sh*t RAM board but you get the
picture.  This 11 meg animation required around $3300 worth of RAM chips,
plus a 68020 accelerator plus a hard drive to store the animation on to
begin with!

So why not exploit the fact that this ridiculously large animation is
sitting on your hard drive somewhere and play directly from the bloody HD!?
There are a whole lot more people with 11 megs free on their hard drive than
there are people who have "11 megabytes internal chip-addressable ram."  In
fact there is no one with that much "Chip-addressable" RAM unless people
have been busy etching their own Uber-Agnus-on-Steroids and building their
own Amiga 3*10^9 motherboards.  This guy was either pulling your chain or
having a VERY good time with some nifty chemicals. #8^)

Down to the point:  It would be silly to require ultra expensive,
non-standard hardware to view large animations when thanks to some ingenious
programming it can be done much more inexpensively on standard hardware.
Isn't the whole point of distributing animations allowing the maximum number
of people the enjoyment of viewing them?

				Christov
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (11/13/89)

I was browsing at a bookstore recently and I believe that Antic's Amiga
Plus had just such an animator.  I believe it required a hard drive but
it was supposed to load and play at the same time.

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (11/16/89)

In article <19000016@attcc.UUCP> bn@attcc.UUCP writes:

>Check out the DISKANIM program that came with the October/November issue of
>Amiga+ magazine. It does exactly what you're talking about.
>
>UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
>INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

I don't think we can get the Amiga+ magazine in Switzerland. Where else
can I get this DiskAnim? Could you send it to the Net or e-mail it?

/* Peter Simeon             |       //                             //     */
/* UUCP: ...visinfo@bernina |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */