[comp.sys.amiga] flickerFixer and PAL/NTSC switching?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/11/89)

From article <1989Nov8.230452.17096@ssi3b1.zone1.com>, by pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone):
> Flicker fixer
> supports screens to 704 horizontal by whatever the system allows
> vertical (in NTSC). The existing flicker fixer will automatically work
> with 640x480 under 1.4.

> There is no problem using the new Agnus and Denise in a 2000/2500 with
> a flicker fixer installed.  All compatible modes are handled fine. Any
> incompatible modes are available at the normal RGB connector.

The new 1M Agnus is switchable between PAL and NTSC, and there was an
article in a recent AmigaMail on how to do this. I have an NTSC flicker-
Fixer in my 2000, and I'm wondering if it will let me use the greater
vertical resolution of PAL if I switch from NTSC? If this is not
currently possible, what are the chances of a future modification to
allow it?

If I do switch to PAL mode for the A2000's video output, will I
cause any damage to the flickerFixer?

Also, what will happen to the flickerFixer display when the
"productivity mode" of the ECS is selected? Smoke & fire, scrambled
display, or business as usual?

One more question, where did the strange spelling of "flickerFixer" come
from?

I'm a confirmed flickerFixer fanatic, in fact I bought a fF for my 2000
before I got a hard drive for it! Thanks for a great addition to a nice
system.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (11/16/89)

In article <1655@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>From article <1989Nov8.230452.17096@ssi3b1.zone1.com>, by pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone):
>> Flicker fixer
>> supports screens to 704 horizontal by whatever the system allows
>> vertical (in NTSC). The existing flicker fixer will automatically work
>> with 640x480 under 1.4.
>
>> There is no problem using the new Agnus and Denise in a 2000/2500 with
>> a flicker fixer installed.  All compatible modes are handled fine. Any
>> incompatible modes are available at the normal RGB connector.
>
>The new 1M Agnus is switchable between PAL and NTSC, and there was an
>article in a recent AmigaMail on how to do this. I have an NTSC flicker-
>Fixer in my 2000, and I'm wondering if it will let me use the greater
>vertical resolution of PAL if I switch from NTSC? If this is not
>currently possible, what are the chances of a future modification to
>allow it?

My friend who has written the 60 Hz emulator for PAL Amigas has now made
a demo where you can set every vertical blanking frequencies between 35
and 80 Hz on every Amiga. (I will soon post it to the Net.)
I discovered now that the PAL Flicker Fixer (which displays 704 x 510)
synchronizes between 47 and 54 Hz. Is it possible to modify a PAL Flicker
Fixer in a way that it synchronizes between 50 and 60 Hz? It would be
great if we could use NTSC mode with the Flicker Fixer also, because
every PAL user (with the 60 Hz emulator on the old agnus) can switch to
NTSC mode.

/* Peter Simeon             |       //                             //     */
/* UUCP: ...visinfo@bernina |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */