--
        From: {sharkey!rjf001,clip!m-net}!sno-1!sno
        Stephen N. Opal   (313) 572-1610

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (11/02/89)

In article <10182.AA10182@sno-1>, sno@sno-1.UUCP (Stephen N. Opal) writes:
> Has  anyone  else  noticed that the computer (Evil) opponent in Populous
> will continually flood land whenever it has enough Manna to do it?  This
> has  proven  to be a really stupid tactic as the computer usually floods
> itself right out of the game, making an easy win.

When the computer gets smarter, it doesn't do that as often.

> Another  problem,  each  new  world  has  a level number +3 or so of the
> previous one.  What is happening with all the intermediate levels?

The better you do in the last game, the further along the worlds you can
go.  If you do really poorly (score is very low, like 17,000 or so), you
will only go up by one world.

> Also, has anyone successfully designed a tactic that allows you to  make
> it  past  level  82?   This  is  the  artic  environment where you get 2
> colonies while the computer gets  4.   When  the  computer  gets  enough
> manna,  (which  is  really  easy for it) it knights.  By this time, I am
> lucky if I can get enough manna to create swamps, while the computer has
> literally  tons  of  castles.   I  have  yet  to figure out a successful
> defense to the pillaging.

Try surrounding his 'un'holy symbol with water by moving your population
there as quick as you can and keeping it surrounded. This will certainly
prevent new knights from being created.
--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

cfg@grad10.cs.duke.edu (Christopher F. Gandy) (11/03/89)

I tried to send this via email, but could not come up with a host my
system would recognize.

In article <10182.AA10182@sno-1> sno@sno-1.UUCP (Stephen N. Opal) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed that the computer (Evil) opponent in Populous will
>continually flood land whenever it has enough Manna to do it?  This has proven
>to be a really stupid tactic as the computer usually floods itself right out
>of the game, making an easy win.
>
>Another problem, each new world has a level number +3 or so of the previous one.
>What is happening with all the intermediate levels?
>
>Also, has anyone successfully designed a tactic that allows you to make it
>past level 82?  This is the artic environment where you get 2 colonies while
>the computer gets 4.  When the computer gets enough manna, (which is really easy
>for it) it knights.  By this time, I am lucky if I can get enough manna to
>create swamps, while the computer has literally tons of castles.  I have yet
>to figure out a successful defense to the pillaging.  For the record, until this
>level, I was able to drown any knight before any damage occured.  Now the computer
>watches and rescues the knight before he goes in.  My main defense is gone.
>Now, I don't feel like playing the game anymore because of the leap in difficulty
>foisted on me by this level.  Any help would be appreciated.

   Well, I was thinking about posting to the net about my "problems"
with Populous, but as it turns out, I think I can help you. I am
currently foaming at the mouth at my inability to get past battle
level 114.

  First, the easy question, the intermediate levels you are skipping
is based on the score you racked up on the previous battle. Win by
only 30K or so and the number goes up only 1 (and the next battle is
VERY similar to the previous one, only on new initial terrain). Win by
100K or more and you can get a jump of up to around 6 levels.

  Next, fear not, the higher the ranking of the opponent, the less
often he resorts to the flood. I have found that higher levels, he
relies on the volcano quite a bit more (the rocks introduced make it
harder for you to rebuild the castles you had).

  I had a similar plateau around #82. I found that you will have to
accept some losses to those early knights. Do not worry about it, and
do not waste time reclaiming the burnt lands right away. First, AFTER
the knight is on your main land mass, lower the path he took to get
there into the water so no other non-knights can follow. Then,
concentrate on building AWAY from his main land mass. I claimed almost
the entire top half of the world before I even tried to go over to his
land and attack. You are right in using the swamps. Keep his
population low, and he will not get the manna needed to send more
knights. Once you have a large land mass, go back and reclaim burnt
land, THEN start sending all the knights you can into his main land
mass.

  Oh yeah, use the swamps wisely. Continue to put a band of them on
the edge of his land so anyone trying to come over to you will hit
them. At that level, he does very little to remove the swamps you put
in.

 Now, If you know someone who can get me past my hump (I swear the
computer is cheating me at this point, there is NO WAY he can earn
manna so much faster than I do (I have watched his developement, and I
progress at the same rate, but never have nearly as much manna as he
does [as evidenced by the use of disasters left and right])).

  This is a great game. If I can be of any future help.

* I won't grow up, not a penny will I pinch | Department of Computer Science,
* I will never grow a moustache, or a       | Duke University,
*       fraction of an inch.                | Durham, NC 27706
* Cause growing up is awfuller than all the |
*       awful things that ever were.        | ARPA:	cfg@cs.duke.edu
* I won't grow up, never grow up.....       | CSNET:	cfg@duke
*       Not ME!   (P. Pan & cfg)            | UUCP:	decvax!duke!cfg

sno@sno-1.UUCP (Stephen N. Opal) (11/07/89)

Thanks so much to those who responded to my stalemate with Populous.
Some interesting strategies were explained that helped a great deal.

My final solution actually ended up being ignoring that level and working
my way around it.  In order to do it without bouncing back to this particular
level I had back up 2 passes.  Redoing level 74 gave me enough points to
jump past the dead end level before 82.  Mission accomplished.

I'm now cruising my way through past level 105 with virtually no problems.
For those who would like to experience this miserable level that caused my
exclamation of exasperation... it is "Hobmeill".

        From: {sharkey!rjf001,clip!m-net}!sno-1!sno
        Stephen N. Opal   (313) 572-1610

ameiba@reed.bitnet (Keith Steiger,Mac 309,0,) (11/09/89)

In article <10758.AA10758@sno-1> sno@sno-1.UUCP (Stephen N. Opal) writes:
>Thanks so much to those who responded to my stalemate with Populous.
>Some interesting strategies were explained that helped a great deal.

Could you share some of these strategies with the rest of the net.world?
I'd be happy to contribute, but I don't know what other people have said.
Populous is addictive, but getting stuck is one of the most frustrating
things about it.

>I'm now cruising my way through past level 105 with virtually no problems.

Don't worry, you'll come across a level that you can't deal with.  I've been
stuck around level 161 for quite a while now.  By the way, is trading names
of levels kosher?  A dubious proposition at best, methinks.

--
TTYL, Keith Steiger--ameiba@reed.BITNET, ameiba@reed.UUCP, tektronix!reed!ameiba
          "I am what you see.  Myself....  I cannot be otherwise."

piaw@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (11/10/89)

In article <13545@reed.UUCP> ameiba@dharma.JPL.NASA.GOV (Keith Steiger) writes:

>I'd be happy to contribute, but I don't know what other people have said.
>Populous is addictive, but getting stuck is one of the most frustrating
>things about it.

Just say what ever found works for you --- I need all the hints I can get...

>stuck around level 161 for quite a while now.  By the way, is trading names
>of levels kosher?  A dubious proposition at best, methinks.

Maybe some one should collate all the names and post them in world level
order or something.
>TTYL, Keith Steiger--ameiba@reed.BITNET, ameiba@reed.UUCP, tektronix!reed!ameiba
Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
piaw@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."

egranthm@centec.UUCP (Ewan Grantham x 103) (11/16/89)

In article <10182.AA10182@sno-1>, sno@sno-1.UUCP (Stephen N. Opal) writes:
@ Has anyone else noticed that the computer (Evil) opponent in Populous will
> continually flood land whenever it has enough Manna to do it?  This has proven
> to be a really stupid tactic as the computer usually floods itself right out
> of the game, making an easy win.

Yes, but then considering what all it has to keep track of, I'm not surprised.
I remember one world where the sucker kept volcanoing me out of existence...

@ Also, has anyone successfully designed a tactic that allows you to make it
> past level 82?  This is the artic environment where you get 2 colonies while
> the computer gets 4.  When the computer gets enough manna, (which is really easy
> for it) it knights.  By this time, I am lucky if I can get enough manna to
> create swamps, while the computer has literally tons of castles.  I have yet
> to figure out a successful defense to the pillaging.  For the record, until this
> level, I was able to drown any knight before any damage occured.  Now the computer
> watches and rescues the knight before he goes in.  My main defense is gone.

Well, the main thing I did was to try and keep my colonies small at first to
force my folks to reproduce as fast as he did. Once I seemed to have an
equivalent number of people, I was able to use the earthquakes to keep him
off balance. I did see him knight twice, but was able to lure him out on
a promintory and sink the fellow both times, so I guess you just have to
be a little lucky.

@         From: {sharkey!rjf001,clip!m-net}!sno-1!sno
@         Stephen N. Opal   (313) 572-1610

Ewan Grantham		...uunet!centec!egranthm