[comp.sys.amiga] problem with mounting 2 RAD's

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (11/15/89)

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 89 14:48 PST
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: problem with mounting 2 RAD's (from introductory posting to comp.sys.amiga...)
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

Over the weekend I was trying to get 2 recoverable ram disks working on
my amiga.  One was a small rebootable RAD: and the other was to be a
floppy-sized ram disk called RF0: to use with df0: and diskcopy.
Anyway, here's what I did:

1. copy devs:ramdrive.device to devs:ramdriv1.device, and copy RemRAD to
RemRF0.

2. edit devs:ramdriv1.device and RemRF0 to change all references to
ramdrive.device to ramdriv1.device and RAMB0 to RAMB1.

3. edit the mountlist to add an entry for RF0: which I copied from the
RAD entry, changing the device from ramdrive.device to ramdriv1.device,
and the HighCyl value.  (do I need to change the Unit value?)

I tried to mount this new ramdisk (either after reboot or powerup) and
here's what happened:

The mount commmand appears to work--no errors, at least, and if I repeat
the mount RF0: command the amiga replies that RF0 is already mounted.
Typing ASSIGN LIST shows RF0 as one of my devices.  However, typing info
does not show up RF0 and I can neither cd or ls RF0:.  Have I forgotten
something/done something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

monty
kosma@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (11/17/89)

In article <4118@nigel.udel.EDU> "kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com writes:
>From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>

[Proper procedure deleted.]

>The mount commmand appears to work--no errors, at least, and if I repeat
>the mount RF0: command the amiga replies that RF0 is already mounted.
>Typing ASSIGN LIST shows RF0 as one of my devices.  However, typing info
>does not show up RF0 and I can neither cd or ls RF0:.  Have I forgotten
>something/done something wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance!

I was the one who wrote the procedure that eventually ended up in the
introductory posting.  Everything you described sounds correct as I remembered
doing it.  And no, DO NOT CHANGE the unit number.  It must be 0.  That is why
this entire cryptic procedure must be done, because C= was not farsighted
enough to accept unit numbers for multiple RAD: devices.

I did encounter the problem that is described.  The case of the letters in the
Device = ramdriv1.device must match the case of ramdriv1.device within the
device file itself.  It seems tha Mount finds the device to mount regardless
of case and mounts properly.  However, the device then checks that its name
matches what it expects, case sensitive, and won't run if there is a mismatch.

Check that the case of all changes you made to ramdriv1.device is all lower
case.  Also make sure you didn't accidently use ramdrive1.device instead of
ramdriv1.device anywhere.  Finally, its always helpful to have Mount = 1 in the
mountlist so that the device is activated when it is mounted.  An icon should
show up in the workbench for the device at mount time.

--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.