[comp.sys.amiga] Thy Amiga Shines Upon the Land.

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (11/14/89)

And the People said, "Let thy Amiga shine upon the land through the magic of
television."  The People looked upon what Commodore did and saw that all was
good.  There is much reason to rejoice.

Last night I saw a new Amiga commercial on Fox network here in Detroit.  Let
me tell you about it.  If some of you remember some of my complaints in the
past, I have changed my tune.

First there was the music.  No one here mentioned it before, but the music is
very quietly catching.  I was reading a magazine while the TV was blaring out
commercials and I heard just two bars of the Amiga AD and popped my head up
thinking "Oh good, another Amiga commercial."  I never realized how immediatly
recognizeable the music was before.

Then the AD.  It was the standard 15 sec short clip with the celebraties
looking for help from Stevie that only the Amiga can do.  As I said before,
this short clip just peaked your interest, but never had enough Amiga
substance.

AND THEN THE FINALE.  Yes they changed the commercial and added to it.

There was a somewhat stationary view of just the Amiga 500.  It looked like a
picture typical of the Amiga with a hole in the middle of it that genlocked in
a view of an Amiga screen.  On the screen was a sequence of pictures from one
to two seconds apart.  The graphics were very diverse and awesome.

A voice over came on and said something to the effect, "With the supply of
Amiga's in short supply before christmas, I am sure you want to know just
where you can find one.  So after this 15 seconds of demonstrating what the
Amiga can do for you here is a phone number you can call."  (An 800 number
pops up on the screen.)  "Call 1-800-434-8000 and we will be happy to tell you
where the nearest dealer is."  Fade away with "Amiga, the computer for the
creative mind."

Sorry, I am not sure of the exact words, and don't call the number I gave, I
may not have remembered it correctly.  I am sure you get the gist of the
finale.  15 seconds of rapid fire Amiga graphics with an 800 dealer hotline
following it.  When I complained about them not having an 800 number in the
final scene, I never actually expected to see the commercial extended by 15
second of introduction into the number.

To summarize, the AD caught you attention with very subtle but unique music.
It baited you with the 15 seconds of somewhat humerous look at all these well
recognized celebreties all crowding around the Amiga trying to get help.  Then
the AD hooks you good and solid by rapid fire presentation of the Amiga's
abilities.  The voice over says that if you like what you see, you better buy
it quick, before christmas.  Finally, they tell you how to buy one with no
effort, just call a number and drive to the store the operator gives you.

This Amiga fanatic was so impressed, that he is tempted to go and get a second
Amiga for his office even though the company won't buy one for him.  Hey,
maybe if this review helped sell some Amiga's, maybe C= will give him a 500
for the effort :-).
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/15/89)

In article <4800@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:

>  [stuff deleted]
>the AD caught your attention with very subtle but unique music.

   I recognized that music. It was lifted from the (not so succesful)
movie "The Goonies". Go rent a copy, you'll see.

jonka@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Kagle) (11/17/89)

In article <4800@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>First there was the music.  No one here mentioned it before, but the music is
>very quietly catching.  I was reading a magazine while the TV was blaring out
>commercials and I heard just two bars of the Amiga AD and popped my head up
>thinking "Oh good, another Amiga commercial."  I never realized how immediatly
>recognizeable the music was before.

I believe that this music was used a couple of years ago in the trailer for
the film "Innerspace."  Is this just a standard piece of commercial music, or
is it something classical?

     -Jonathan

Microsoft takes no responsibility for what I say.  Or I it.