[comp.sys.amiga] GVP Quantum hardcard problem

nraoaoc@nmtsun.nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (11/12/89)

I have a problem with a GVP 40meg Quantum hardcard in an A2000.  I am
using 1.3 and the autobooting eproms are installed (and have worked
stably for about a year with one exception described below.)  This
problem arose while I am working out of town, so all the information
I have comes from phone conversations.

When the computer is turned on, the hard disk access light flashes a
few times, and after a variable length of time the workbench hand
appears on the screen.  If one attempts to access the drive, the
message is that it is not mounted.  I remember a series of postings
about Quantum drives failing.  Is this what such a failure looks like?

The confusing thing is that just before this problem was noticed, a
neighbor and a telephone repair man came to the door and told my 10
year old something about a cable.  I am embarrassed to admit that I
have a surge protector for the telephone line into the modem, but it
was not in use (so that the telephone line could be more easily
switched between the A1000 and the A2000 - I will fix that now).
Therefore it is possible that something entered the computer through
the phone line - but I now think that is unlikely.  A few weeks ago I
had a problem with an error "key already selected" and had to backup
and reformat one partition.  The error occurred during very routine
activity, so I was already worried about a hardware problem.

I asked my 15 year old to 1) try the modem to see if the serial port is OK
2) try the printer to see if the parallel port is OK, 3) run the memory test
that comes with the Micron board to see if the memory is OK.  He has not
done these things yet, but except for the hardcard, everything seemed OK to
him.

Now the question:  What else can we check to isolate the problem to the GVP
board?  A second, more fuzzy question:  if anyone has any good idea about
what is wrong, is there anything that can be done to salvage things on disk.
One partition is filled with demos and games and is not backed up.  (I have
not got my sons' hopes up because as I recall these drives are sealed units
that just get thrown out (or maybe reconditioned in the factory like
Winchesters).)

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Pat Palmer (email: ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

leed@cell.mot.COM (Dwight Lee) (11/15/89)

Pat Palmer (ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu) writes:

>I have a problem with a GVP 40meg Quantum hardcard in an A2000.  I am
>using 1.3 and the autobooting eproms are installed (and have worked
>[more stuff]

>When the computer is turned on, the hard disk access light flashes a
>few times, and after a variable length of time the workbench hand
>appears on the screen.  If one attempts to access the drive, the
>message is that it is not mounted.  I remember a series of postings
>about Quantum drives failing.  Is this what such a failure looks like?

>[other stuff omitted]

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me (and still happens occasionally).  I
called up GVP and was told to do the following:

1. Take the drive out and hold it so that the drive spindle is in the middle
of your hand (estimate) and the face of the card is toward you.

2. Quickly rotate the entire costly device counter-clockwise with a deft flip
of the wrist.

3. Plug it back in and try powering-up again.  If it doesn't work, try again.

This worked the first time for me, and has worked two subsequent times.  I've
experienced the problem about twelve times after a year of using the drive.
Most failures have occurred within the past four months.

Of course, all the usual warnings about having the computer powered-down,
unplugged, and free of possibly powered peripherals applies (pardon the
alliteration).

The alternate method suggested was to apply power to the drive repeatedly (ie,
ON-OFF-ON-OFF sequences) which didn't sound that healthy to me.

Supposedly GVP has some kind of replacement chip for the Quantum drive which
will increase the amount of current applied to the drive at start-up.  I'm not
sure whether they'll send it to us or whether we have to send the drives back
in.  I beieve that the chip is directly from Quantum, so it may be available
from other sources.  Anyone out there that has followed up on this situation?

The technical fellow with whom I spoke at GVP was courteous and helpful.  The
phone was answered after eleven rings.  I have no connection with GVP other
than using their hardcard product.

--
Dwight Lee                   "I don't want the world; I just want your half."
UUCP: ...!uunet!motcid!leed                           - They Might Be Giants

rsb@ccvr1.uucp (R. Scott Bartlett) (11/17/89)

In article <402@brown3.UUCP> you write:

>1. Take the drive out and hold it so that the drive spindle is in the middle
>
>2. Quickly rotate the entire costly device counter-clockwise with a deft flip

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... Don't Do THAT!  The fix is real simple:

	1)  Get the replacement rom for the drive.  I don't know if
	    you'll have to go through Quantum or not, but i do know that
	    apple dealers can get the roms for you.  The rom fix may or
	    may not permanantly fix the problem.  A friend of mine w/ a
	    40Mb Quantum had the stickage problem, and got a replacement
	    rom (jumping jacks included ;-).  That fixed the problem
	    until last nite, so this fix may or may not work for you.

	or, even easier:

	2)  There is a jumper on the drive (labeled 'ss') that causes
	    it to go into self-test mode when powered on, where it
	    repeatedly seeks back and forth accross the disk.  If you do
	    this for about 2-3 minutes, it should clear up the problem
	    up (at least temporarily).

Now, the bad news is, even after doing one or both things, your drive
may still be flaky.  Don't worry about losing your data tho'
because you can still get it off, it will just be quite slow at times
(you have wait till the head passes across the cylinder you want while it
is doing it's jumping jacks (i'm not saying that it is doing jumping
jacks all the time)).  If it is still flaky, i'd back everything up and
trade it in for a new Quantum. (Unlike a manufacturer that will go
unamed, Quantum drives are still excellent, this stickage problem is
just a fluke (crappy lubricant got shipped to them))

>The alternate method suggested was to apply power to the drive repeatedly (ie,
>ON-OFF-ON-OFF sequences) which didn't sound that healthy to me.

This works for a short while, but the problem will get worse (not as a
result of the power cycles per se)

I wish you luck...

							rsb
--
.signature:  Not found; must be at home.
disclaimer:  Nope, no responsibilities here, why do you think i'm