[comp.sys.amiga] Store Advice

pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (11/13/89)

   Friends of mine are planning to open up an Amiga store and
I'd like some advice on marketing/demoing technques.  We have
a pretty good group.  The store will be managed by die hard
amiga worshippers including myself.  The guy who is putting in
90% of his investment is also a wheeler dealer who owns several
restaurants and other stores as well as an Amiga aficiando.  Any
ways, we plan to have full blown 030 Amiga's and plan to run
demo's and show off the true image of the Amiga (not leaving a
cheap blue workbench screen with a CBM formatted harddisk).

  Any tips, and marketting suggestions as well as advertisement
info is greatly appreciated.

                                     -Viet Ho
                                     vho@ucsd.edu

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/16/89)

   The BADGE Killer Demo Contest demos were intended exactly for the
purpose you mention, to help dealers and others show off their Amigas.  If
you don't have them, get them.  Fish Disks are a good source.
   On the subject of demos, I'm surprised there aren't more dealers who
face a monitor towards the front window or door (most seem to hide the
machines in the back room--at least in the four or five areas where I've
snooped around Amiga dealers even as far afield as Denmark and Norway, they
were far from the windows).  Half the battle is getting people to see and
RECOGNIZE the machine and getting them into the store to look at it in the
first place.  I can't see it being for security purposes, computer stores
are clearly identified as computer stores, so potential thieves know what's
in there and near a window doesn't have to mean near a door; glare is not
too much of a factor in malls, or stores with awnings ...

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (11/17/89)

In article <24109@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>   The BADGE Killer Demo Contest demos were intended exactly for the
>purpose you mention, to help dealers and others show off their Amigas.  If
>you don't have them, get them.  Fish Disks are a good source.
>   On the subject of demos, I'm surprised there aren't more dealers who
>face a monitor towards the front window or door . . .

I think some of the newer ones are afraid of upsetting the relationship
that they have with iBM, or Apple. I have heard of an Apple rep that was
not to thrilled to hear that the Amiga was now being carried in the same
store as their IIgs. And with good cause.

Steven