[comp.sys.amiga] Apple / Amiga SCSI

jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/17/89)

Andrew Thomas <andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu> writes:

> In a recent conversation with our lab manager, I was told that it is
> possible that Apple's SCSI interface is not consistent with the SCSI
> standard.  In light of the advertising in this group for Apple SCSI
> drives at low prices, I felt that this issue might be of interest.
> Does anybody know whether Apple has modified their SCSI definition
> sufficiently that Mac drives would not work with Amiga controllers?
> It certainly would not come as a shock given Apple's attitude toward
> industry standards and interchangeability.  The advertising for the
> cheap drives very conspicuously says *should work* with Amiga
> controllers.  It has not been tested.

Last March I decided to buy a larger hard drive for my BBS.  The prices
for Mac compatible drives in Computer Shopper certainly looked
attractive, and I ended up talking to a technical type at Hard Drives
International about using one of their external Mac drives (a Miniscribe
9380) on my Amiga 1000/C-Ltd controller.  The technician at HDI siad
that he could see no reason why it wouldn't work, but he didn't know of
anyone that had tried it.  He said that since HDI offers a 30 day "no
questions asked" return policy, that I would only be risking the
shipping charges it it didn't work.  I decided to gamble, and ordered
it.

It came and was already low-level formatted.  I ran a couple of disk
check programs on it and verified that all blocks were good, ran the
diskperf program to make sure that the speed was reasonable, and then
set up the partitions necessary for the BBS.

It's been running flawlessly, 24 hours a day since then.

   --- Cal

   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!