[comp.sys.amiga] F-18

jedi@clark-emh.arpa (07/04/88)

Well, I finally got F-18 and was up till about 0500 last night.  I made it
to the 6th mission.  You know, the one that everyone else is stuck on.
I thought that I read the other day here that all you really have to do is
to kill all the migs.  Well, I did that (I think), but it didn't give me the
"good job" message.   I dive bombed the sub-carrier, and hit it, but nothing
happened.  I can't even get my attack computer to lock on to the sub.  Am I
missing something here??  HEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!

Great program, great sound effects, great action.

Mike
Jedi @ Clark-EMH.arpa

rss@ece-csc.UUCP (ML) (07/04/88)

In a previous article jedi@clark-emh.arpa wrote:
(in reference to 6th level on F18:)
>I thought that I read the other day here that all you really have to do is
>to kill all the migs.  Well, I did that (I think), but it didn't give me the
>"good job" message.   I dive bombed the sub-carrier, and hit it, but nothing
>happened.  I can't even get my attack computer to lock on to the sub.  Am I
>missing something here??

Don't think so.  When I kill all the MiGs I get the "good job" message.  Are
you sure it was still your first plane?  If you get shot down, the game
continues running in the present scenario (very stupid) -- and you can take
your new plane to kill whatever is left -- but no pat on the back when you
finish.

Here's another one for you folks:  Anybody ever have any luck with the
"intercept stolen aircraft" mission -- that is, luck getting them to
return with you?

I had the following happen:
   Killed the Migs;
   Discovered one of the F16s was chasing ME all around the sky.
   Discovered the other was already far out to sea.
   I ignored the one behind me, went out to sea, did a flyby on the
   2nd F16 (which kept on going);  so I fell behind this F16, and
   shot him down.
   I then went after the F16 which was following me.  NO luck!  He
   followed me thru every twist and turn; I could NOT get behind him
   to shoot effectively (missiles are usually ineffective -- must use
   guns).  When it dawned on me that he was following me everywhere
   though, I just turned around and landed at the base. The plane
   followed me all the way back.  I landed.  IT circled around and
   around me for a while, then hit the ground.  This was very strange
   because the radar said his speed was 0, altitude 0.  However, it
   was not destroyed.  So I turned around and rolled along the ground
   to him, in order to put him out of his misery :-).  I had just
   about gotten a bead on him, when he blew up!

     ... and I never got the "good job" message either.

Now I just wish there were some more scenarios, since it only takes
a couple of hours to go thru the 6 that are there.

                   -- Mark Lanzo --
            c/o ...!mcnc!ece-csc!rss

jedi@clark-emh.arpa (07/05/88)

{yum yum}.

In a recent article, Mark Lanzo wrote:

>Here's another one for you folks:  Anybody ever have any luck with the
>"intercept stolen aircraft" mission -- that is, luck getting them to
>return with you?

I don't know if this will help or not, but I found that if I "wounded" the
F-16's they would follow me anywhere and not engage me.  I was able to get one
of them, but when I attempted to get the other one, I had to chase him half
way to Moscow, but couldn't quite get him right.  Finally ended up just
blowing him out of the sky and getting the "good job" message and returned
to base.

>   around me for a while, then hit the ground.  This was very strange
>   because the radar said his speed was 0, altitude 0.  However, it
>   was not destroyed.  So I turned around and rolled along the ground
>   to him, in order to put him out of his misery :-).  I had just
>   about gotten a bead on him, when he blew up!

 Have you ever "landed" on the water???  I have done it by accident a
couple of times by flying "real" low and not keeping a close eye on my
altimeter.  If you don't pull up real quick, you will be stuck there
forever.  I didn't know that a F-18 (or 16 for that matter) could float. :)

>Now I just wish there were some more scenarios, since it only takes
>a couple of hours to go thru the 6 that are there.
>
>                   -- Mark Lanzo --
>            c/o ...!mcnc!ece-csc!rss

I must agree, I was really looking forward to getting past level 6 (thanks
Mark) and once I did, it just put me back at the first scenario again.  Oh
well, maybe the enemy will get harder to get.

|   Mike Hampton                |          jedi @ Clark-EMH.arpa             |
|   3d SPG Clark Air Base       |   "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan, the  |
|   Republic of the Philippines |   circle is complete at last, when I left  |
|   United States Air Force	|   you I was but the learner,               |
|  May the Force be with you	|	NOW I AM THE MASTER !!!              |

brunjes@kadsma.kadsm (Roy Brunjes) (07/11/88)

In article <3690@ece-csc.UUCP> rss@ece-csc.UUCP (ML) writes:
>Here's another one for you folks:  Anybody ever have any luck with the
>"intercept stolen aircraft" mission -- that is, luck getting them to
>return with you?
>
>Now I just wish there were some more scenarios, since it only takes
>a couple of hours to go thru the 6 that are there.
>
>                   -- Mark Lanzo --
>            c/o ...!mcnc!ece-csc!rss

As far as the F-16 Defectors Mission goes, I have also NEVER gotten them to
turn around and go back (not even one).  I wonder if it is possible.

As far as the six missions go, the manual has words to the effect of "by
reflying the missions through 'Next Advanced Mission', you may face tougher
pilots...".  OK, what I want to know is how that works.  Are there x groupings
of pilots on disk, and a random number generator determines if you face the
Aces of the Mig World?  Or, more sensibly (and hopefully what is done) is the
skill of the opposing pilots directly proportional to the amount of flying time
you have racked up?  I noticed that the date is simply 1 + the number of hours
of flying time you have logged.  Perhaps that number is used to select the
skill level of the Mig Pilots?  That would mean you can eventually face near
impossible pilots (good for those who really need to face tougher opposition,
like me and Mark Lanzo.  I can run through the six missions in less than 30
minutes now.  If the number of hours of flight time has something to do with
it, then I can just go and "free fly" for 10 hours or so, update my log, and
then pick "Next Advanced Mission".  Anyone know Moses Ma or better yet Bob
Dinnerman?  Are you guys out there to answer?

Roy Brunjes

scot@rtmvax.UUCP (Scot Harris ) (07/14/88)

In article <161@kadsma.kadsm> brunjes@kadsma.UUCP (Roy Brunjes) writes:

>As far as the F-16 Defectors Mission goes, I have also NEVER gotten them to
>turn around and go back (not even one).  I wonder if it is possible.
>

>Roy Brunjes

Well I finally had one of the f-16s start following me.  I let him follow
me all the way back to Moffet field.  I landed but the f-16 stayed in the
air.  Finally had to go up and shoot him down to get mission completed.

Whats the trick to get him to land?

--
  --------_----------------------------------------------------------
    ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris          !hoptoad!peora!rtmvax!scot

andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (07/15/88)

In article <1797@rtmvax.UUCP> scot@rtmvax.UUCP (Scot Harris ) writes:
>In article <161@kadsma.kadsm> brunjes@kadsma.UUCP (Roy Brunjes) writes:
>>
>>As far as the F-16 Defectors Mission goes, I have also NEVER gotten them to
>>turn around and go back (not even one).  I wonder if it is possible.
>
>Well I finally had one of the f-16s start following me.  I let him follow
>me all the way back to Moffet field.  I landed but the f-16 stayed in the
>air.  Finally had to go up and shoot him down to get mission completed.
>
>Whats the trick to get him to land?

Fly in close formation with them and wave :-).  That usually does it
for me.  They F-16's will turn to 090 and head back toward land.  What
they do after that is pretty strange, though.  I've seen them land on
the ocean (something none of *us* have ever done, I'm sure), or fly around
the Bay for a while then head back out to sea.  I followed one back to
land, then he disappeared.  The fun part is that the MiG's will be about
a mile behind you while you're trying to get close enough to the F-16's,
and if they decide to fire it gets pretty wild.

Incidentally, anyone want a sure-fire method to get a cruise missle?

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Remember, when all else is said and done, at least *we* have someplace to
park our keyboards.

cjhoward@lotus.waterloo.edu (Caleb J. Howard) (11/17/88)

     Hi there people.
Me and my roommate have been playing F-18 for a long time, and
we cannot figure out how to kill the bleeding submersable aircraft
carrier.  We've both been through the manual thoroughally, but can
find no mention of how to kill the sucker.  Is there some trick
that we don't know, or is this some sort of a cruel joke.
     We don't mind spoilers, so any hints on subsequent missions
would be appreciated as well.
mucho gracias mi amigos (amigas, too)

Caleb

--
Caleb J. Howard             "They pushed the button, Jim"
University of Waterloo      "What button, Billy?"

d8sunch@dtek.chalmers.se (Christer Sundin) (11/25/88)

>Me and my roommate have been playing F-18 for a long time, and
>we cannot figure out how to kill the bleeding submersable aircraft
>carrier.  We've both been through the manual thoroughally, but can

Actually, there is no way to kill the carrier (as far as I know).
Instead, you should kill all the enemy fighters. There are five or
six of them. When you have done that, the mission is completed.

I have heard a roumor, saying that you could destroy the submersible
carrier by firing six missiles at it. I have tried it, but it didn't
work. Also, I've heard that you could pick up the pilot in mission 4
with the arrestor hook!

Christer Sundin

Sam.Dunham@uscacm.UUCP (Sam Dunham) (11/14/89)

Does anyone know how to destroy the SUB/Carrier in F/18 Interceptor????
I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         SAM //
                           \X/

Sam Dunham == ...!usceast!uscacm!Sam.Dunham

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (11/17/89)

ATTENTION! ATTENTION!      S P O I L E R   A H E A D  !!!

RE: destroying the phantom sub carrier..............

 you CANT. I learned about it much the same way, calling BBS-JC in
Sunnyvale. Seems the programmer had a "falling out" w/ Electronic arts,
and didn't get a chance to do the code for sub destruction. The only way
to "succeed" on this mission is to destroy all of the MIGs. There are four
our five (or is it six? it's a pretty furious battle!) and chances are, you'll
have to return to your carrier to re-arm and re-fuel. There are some other,
lesser hints, but i'll leave them to you to find out.....