[comp.sys.amiga] Use of Ada

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger X2502) (11/11/89)

In article <3640@orion.cf.uci.edu> echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) writes:
>phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:
>
>>In article <3215@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>
>>Ada is only needed for mission critical (COTS) projects.
>
>  Funny, to my understanding it's only required in embedded systems (that's
>  why I'm not programmin in Ada currently)
>
>  But I guess embedded systems are generally mission critical ;)
>
>					     -Eli

The Department of Defense (DoD) directed that Ada be the single common,
high-order program languages for weapon systems.  More specific direction later
stated that Ada be the single common, computer program language for Defense
computer resources used in intelligence systems, command and control or as an
integral part of a weapon system, and should be used for all other applications,
except where in those other applications another "approved" high order language
is more effective over the application life cycle.

The Navy recently extended the mandatory use of Ada to business systems
development, and indicated that the developmental risk of not having Ada
trained personnel or initial costs of training would not be justification for
the granting of a waiver from the mandatory use of Ada.

Having said all of the above, I join those who are curious about when there
is going to be a validated Ada compiler for the Amiga.  There are several
for MS-DOS machines (JANUS, Meridian, Alsys, IntegrAda (by AETECH)), and I
know of at least one for the Macintosh (Meridian).  Student Ada compilers
for MS-DOS machines can even be purchased in the $50-150 price range.  I do
believe that if the Amiga is to make a real entrance into the federal market
(agencies other than DoD (NASA, FAA) are now making use of Ada), a validated
Ada compiler for the Amiga is a necessity.  (Of course there are Ada compilers
running under Unix).  Comments, anyone?

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger X2502) (11/18/89)

I'm sorry if most of this is a repost for you.  I'm unsure if this went out when
I originally posted it (we've had an intermittent mail feed).  There have been
other postings regarding Ada for the Amiga since I sent this, but none that I've
seen reference this.  I'd be curious about any comments you might have regarding
my information.  I'd like to see an Ada compiler for the Amiga, and not just one
for the Amiga while running Unix.

Jeff Schweiger