[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order Recommendations

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/30/89)

I'm looking to get a Quantum 80meg hard drive via mail order.  I have
a GVP controller.  (If anyone has one for sale, I'll settle for used
but that's not why I'm writing this message.)

Generally, I dislike mail order, but I've decided to give it a try.
I've called a couple, now I need recommendations:

InterComputing -- Didn't sound too knowledgeable
BriWall -- no real opinion
Safe Harbor -- Just like others on the net have said, she was
   fantastically friendly, didn't give the best price but was reasonable
Computability -- best price but I didn't feel very confident with them

Does anyone have any input on this?

advTHANKSance!
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net   limonce@pilot.rutgers.edu

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/01/89)

Thanks for the recommendations!  I am going to buy it from Hard Drives
International (1-800-234-DISK) because of recommendations, they
sounded very knowledgeable, and they had the best price.

Now, one last question before I purchase it:  Any known problems with
the Quantum 80 meg drive?  The last drive I bought without
net.approval was a loser Seagate 40meg.

-Tom
--

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/02/89)

:
:Now, one last question before I purchase it:  Any known problems with
:the Quantum 80 meg drive?  The last drive I bought without
:net.approval was a loser Seagate 40meg.
:
:-Tom
:--
:Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
:C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net   limonce@pilot.rutgers.edu
:P O Box 802       -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet <<<-has a "T" in it.
:Madison, NJ 07940 -- 201-408-5389       ...!rutgers!njin!limonce
Wait! Stop the presses.  I'm posting this only because mail to you bounced
from where I'm at.

I know you've probably heard lots of things about Abel Supply, both bad and
good.  But I must point out that they have never done me wrong, yet.
I deal with a fellow named Steve.  He is very helpful and responsive.
He even took back a GenOne genlock, no questions asked, because I didn't
think it measured up.

I originally bought my Quantum 80s form Hard Drives International for $775
thinking it was the hottest deal.  Then I asked Steve (from Abel) if they
would stock Quantum drives (they've added the GVP 030 board and other things
just because I asked).  Now I see that I could have gotten the same
80s drive from Abel for about $635 (forgot the actual price, but $635 is close)
and the 105s for _$715_!!!   THAT is a smokin deal.  In fact, I'm about to
sell my old Seagate and get the 105s from Abel.
I suggest you give them a call (late afternoon Eastern time is best) and
try to get a hold of Steve (tell him I sent you).  I know a number of
people that have gotten the 105s from Abel and love it.

Hope that helps.  Sorry I don't have their number handy here.  Call
615-555-1212 for information, Sevieville TN.  You can get Abel's number their.

Joel Swan
(I don't work for, or with Abel.  Though I have bought lots 'o goodies from
 them.)

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/03/89)

In article <Oct.30.10.59.14.1989.5263@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>I'm looking to get a Quantum 80meg hard drive via mail order.  I have

>BriWall -- no real opinion
Prices not the worst;  I probably should have gone with them...

>Computability -- best price but I didn't feel very confident with them

I don't feel very confident either -- I'm still waiting for my Seagate
to arrive from them.   I don't remember how long ago it was, but I've
called they 'customer help' line (this title is debatable) and they keep
giving me the runaround.  Two weeks ago it was:  "Gee, you're not in the
computer."  "Well, did you receive my order?" "Call back next week -- we
should have something by then"  "OK."

So I called last week.  "Oh, the check just cleared.  We'll have the drive
delivered probably by the end of the week." "OK."

This week, the word is "No, we haven't shipped it -- we have to wait because
of (meaningless c*ap deleted).  We'll ship it Friday or Monday at the very
latest."  Me: "I sure hope so."

This is getting old.  I gave them plenty of time to process a personal
check, get things organized, and ship.  But I still have no drive!  I do
NOT recommend Computability.  This is not the first time I have had
difficulty with them.  Their 'help' line is ALWAYS busy -- nearly impossible
to get in unless you dial continuously for 20 minutes.  Be forewarned.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

bdo8650@cec2.wustl.edu (Bryan Dennis O'Connor) (11/03/89)

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>>Computability -- best price but I didn't feel very confident with them

>I don't feel very confident either -- I'm still waiting for my Seagate
>to arrive from them.

I had a pretty good experience with Computability.  Maybe your case is a
fluke.  I ordered my Hard Drive for the A500 on Monday the 30th, and they
told me that it would take 8 to 10 days to get here.  Well low and behold
it came today.  (Thurs, the 2nd).  There was even a post it note attached
to the hard drive case reminding me that the hard drive was not formatted.
Pretty nice in my opinion.  Maybe my case is the fluke?  All I know is that
in the future I am going to feel safe with Computability.

Bryan O'Connor        |  ARPA:   bdo8650@cec2.wustl.edu | ********************
Washington University |  USENET: wucs1!cec2!bdo8650     | *UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
Saint Louis, MO       |                                 | ********************

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/04/89)

In article <1989Nov3.072056.18255@cec1.wustl.edu>, bdo8650@cec2.UUCP (Bryan Dennis O'Connor) writes:
>bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>>>Computability -- best price but I didn't feel very confident with them
>
>>I don't feel very confident either -- I'm still waiting for my Seagate
>>to arrive from them.
>
>I had a pretty good experience with Computability.  Maybe your case is a
>fluke.  I ordered my Hard Drive for the A500 on Monday the 30th, and they

Well, I've ordered from them *before* this time, and I didn't exactly get
thrilling results.  I ordered a piece of software (some time ago, though)
and it didn't arrive after a month.  I called and asked, "where is it?"
They told me it hadn't been shipped yet by the manufacturer, and that it
should be about another month's wait.  But the software had been advertised
in their ads! (rushed marketing, methinks) -- anyway, I waited and waited.
Called repeatedly over several months, and all I kept getting was "It'll be
here soon" and "It's almost available."  This continued for about 1 year,
until I got the software.  Now I realize that the software manufacturer was
responsible for the big delay, but Computability's people sure were a bit
ahead of themselves in advertising this thing -- overdue a year!  When I
ordered (by mail), I *assumed* I'd be getting a response in the same year!
I just don't know...

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

mark@isi.UUCP (Mark Bailey) (11/06/89)

In article <1975@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:

> I know you've probably heard lots of things about Abel Supply, both bad and
> good.  But I must point out that they have never done me wrong, yet.
> I deal with a fellow named Steve.  He is very helpful and responsive.
>
> Joel Swan
> (I don't work for, or with Abel.  Though I have bought lots 'o goodies from
>  them.)

Abel Supply:  Voice  615-428-5100    BBS  (8N1-300/1200/2400) 615-453-7055.

I have been ordering from them for several years (S/W, StarBoardII, etc.).

I have been pleased.  The few problems that have cropped up have been quickly
resolved to my satisfaction.

I have no connection with ABEL Supply other than as a satisfied customer!!!

--
Mark Bailey                                 (I didn't really say this.)
via:  ...!uunet!pyrdc!isi!mark              ------Have a  8-|  day!!!!!

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (11/12/89)

In article <1975@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
... stuff deleted ...

> I know you've probably heard lots of things about Abel Supply, both bad and
> good.  But I must point out that they have never done me wrong, yet.
> I deal with a fellow named Steve.  He is very helpful and responsive.
> He even took back a GenOne genlock, no questions asked, because I didn't
> think it measured up.

    I too have dealt with Abel Supply and got ROYALLY screwed by them. It cost me
 over $600 out of my own money to get things straightened out with them. This is
 that I will NEVER see again. Phone bills, lawyer fees, lost interest etc..
 From the time I placed the order to the time that everything was settled
 out, was a total of roughtly 20 MONTHS. (1 year and 8 months!!!)
 I even called the Better Business Bureau in Knoxville, Tennessee (the closest
 chapter to Sevierville) and it seems that MANY others have complained about
 Abel and their practices.
     In dealing with Abel the following is a perfect algorithm:

   if(item_is_hardware())
     ORDER_SOMEWHERE_ELSE()
   else
   if(item_is_software() && item_is_in_stock_NOW())
     order_item();
   else
     ORDER_SOMEWHERE_ELSE()

    why?
    A fellow at Microbotics (Mike, the guy who does all the repairs to
 thier Hardframe product) has said that he does like Abel and wishes that
 they would stop selling their product.
    A fellow at Seagate (whose name escapes me at the moment) has said the
 same thing.
    Mark Woodham (manager of Abel Supply) and Steve (the owner) have both
 out and out LIED to me to get me off their back. They NEVER return calls
 (I have phone bills with at least 30 calls to Abel over a one month
 period to show I called them, each with a message for either Steve and
 Mark to call me. They NEVER did.)
    I sent them a 5 page letter demanding an explaination of the situation
 and what course of action would they take. I sent it via courier, got
 confirmation from the courier that Abel had recieved the letter. When
 I called 2 weeks later, Mark said he had no idea what I was talking about..
 Neither he nor ANYONE else at Abel recieved a letter from Federal
 Express. (The courier who I sent it by. I still have a copy of the
 signed notice that some in fact DID recieve it).
    I have heard from many others who have had similier dealings with them,
 and ALL of them willl NEVER deal with Abel Supply again.

   Sure they have the lowest prices around.. BUT are you willing to take
 a chance with them? CAll Go-Amigo and see what they think about
 Abel Supply. I did. They regard them as a company who constently lie
 to their customers. The only reason they can offer such low prices is
 that they wait and wait and wait till a certain number of orders arrive
 for a particular product, THEN they place an order. Even they they
 bicker with the company for such a low price per unit cost that it
 might take another week to ten days to get everything ironed out.

    Think twice about Abel Supply. I don't want to see anyone else
 get screwed by them the way I did.
________________________________/Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter
Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|'She flies like darkness in the night,
{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette| no mortal is safe within her sight.  '
paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca             |           - ancient myth(?) of Esalon

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/16/89)

In article <2064@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
:In article <1975@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:
:... stuff deleted ...
:
:> I know you've probably heard lots of things about Abel Supply, both bad and
:> good.  But I must point out that they have never done me wrong, yet.
:> I deal with a fellow named Steve.  He is very helpful and responsive.
:> He even took back a GenOne genlock, no questions asked, because I didn't
:> think it measured up.
:>
:
:    I too have dealt with Abel Supply and got ROYALLY screwed by them. It cost me
: over $600 out of my own money to get things straightened out with them. This is
: that I will NEVER see again. Phone bills, lawyer fees, lost interest etc..
: From the time I placed the order to the time that everything was settled
: out, was a total of roughtly 20 MONTHS. (1 year and 8 months!!!)
: I even called the Better Business Bureau in Knoxville, Tennessee (the closest
: chapter to Sevierville) and it seems that MANY others have complained about
: Abel and their practices.

[lots of info deleted for space]

[...]

[more deleted for space]

:    Think twice about Abel Supply. I don't want to see anyone else
: get screwed by them the way I did.
:________________________________/Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter
:Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|'She flies like darkness in the night,
:{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette| no mortal is safe within her sight.  '
:paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca             |           - ancient myth(?) of Esalon

Well, time for me to eat crow.  Up until the time I had written the original
posting, Abel hadn't done me wrong.  The story is VERY different now.

On August 22, 1989,  ABEL SUPPLY charged me $727.45 on my Visa bill for a
Quantum hard drive I didn't order.  I immediately called and asked them
to immediatley credit my account for the difference.  They assured me that
they would take care of it.  I also wrote my Visa company under the 60 legal
period to contest the charge.

Well, my October Visa bill came and there was ABEL SUPPLY's original charge
STILL on the account, along with finance charges.  This time I wrote my
Visa comany again and called Abel.  When Abel's phone rang, I heard someone
lift it from the receiver, and then gently hang it back up, acting as if noone
was home.  The rest of the day the phone was "busy."  Just last Wednesday
I had spoken with a fellow there and he said that Steve would call back the
next morning.  Needless to say, he didn't.

Now it is time to contact the Tennessee State Attorney's office.  ABEL is going
to be shut down if I have anything to do with it.  Trevor's story is only one
of many I've heard recently.  They are as bad as Montgomery Grant in giving
the Amiga Community a bad name.

    AA    BBBBB    EEEEEE  LL        SSSSSS  UU   UU   CCCCC  KK  KK   SSSSSS
  AA  AA  BB   BB  EE      LL       SS       UU   UU  CC      KK KK   SS
  AAAAAA  BBBBB    EEEEE   LL        SSSSS   UU   UU  CC      KKKK     SSSSS
  AA  AA  BB   BB  EE      LL            SS  UU   UU  CC      KK KK        SS
  AA  AA  BBBBBB   EEEEEE  LLLLLL   SSSSSS    UUUUU    CCCCC  KK   KK SSSSSS

and should be avoided by all costs.  They deserve a fate similar to Mongomery
Grant - OUT OF BUSINESS, IN JAIL.

Now, we return you to your regularly scheduled program....

----------------
Joel Swan

pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (11/18/89)

Hmm, my experiences with Abel is, that if they don't have the item
in stock, don't bother!  They're prices are excellent (maybe that's
why they're always out of stock on the good stuff).   I ordered a
Supra Modem, and the guy told me they will have it in by the middle
of the next week.  So, two weeks pass by, and still nothing.  I
called to check if they had sent my order, and the guy says, oh, we
are going to get new shipments tomorrow.  Well, another month
passess by with 3 more similiar calls.  I never did get the modem
from them.  I ended up going out to a local dealer and picking it up
for about $10 more than Abel's price.

 My friend had the same problem when he was trying to get a Spirit
board for his A500.