[comp.sys.amiga] MacLaptop

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (11/15/89)

>From: gorriede%uregina1.bitnet%ee.udel.edu%mwunix@mwvm.mitre.org
>To:  okay@tafs (OKAY at TAFS)
>Subject: Amiga Laptop
>

>     I just finished reading a review of the new Mac Portable.
>
>     Scary Stuff.  Niffty.   Which brings me to the question, will
>     is Commodore remotely considering an Amiga Laptop?
>
>     We already know there is going to be an A3000, thats old news.
>     What is in the works for future Amiga product lines?  Laptops?
>     Any significant changes to A500's or A2000's?

While the Mac Laptop may sound really neat(and it is in a lot of respects),
keep in mind the following:
A. It is also about $8000 ---you can even get a DESK Mac for cheaper!!
B. It is quite heavy(stripped it weighs almost as much as the old IBM Convertib
le, loaded [read:usable] it heaves in at 17.5 pounds---ha!). I had to tote
a Convertible around last year at VirusCon and with the power supply,
accessories and machine itself, that comes out to about 22 lbs.--Not
something you want to do even in a small airport like Lehigh.
C. In the rush to bring it out, Apple is shipping many of them sans mouse
(snicker tee hee chuckle chuckle) and instead giving people a coupon to
redeem for a mouse which will arrive "4-6 weeks" after receipt of the
coupon.
D.Its only an SE thats inside the box, which is basically a machine from
ca. 1986, even before the Mac II came out.

E. Because of all this, its taking a right thrasing in much of the popular
Mac-press.

(This is one good thing about being an Amigoid in a Mac-dominated office,
we get all the Mac-azines and I can thus rag on it with solid facts)

---Steve
-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
				"Live a life you love, worship a god you trust,
				 And don't take it all so seriously"
                                           ---Love and Rockets
Disclaimer:"Mine!......mineminemineminemineminemine"

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/19/89)

  > Apple is shipping many of them (laptops) sans mouse...

     That may be so, but just for the record, I've seen one of these laptops
and it seems to me that it functions quite well without a mouse since it
has a 'finger ball' (I don't know what buzz word they've come up with to
describe this little built in ball-like input device) built right in next
to the keyboard.
                                              Julie   (LadyHawke)