[comp.sys.amiga] trivia

nj@ndmath.UUCP (Narciso Jaramillo) (11/08/87)

In article <5828@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
> In article <1779@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
> >(in Spanish, "amiga" means girlfriend)
>   (so does "Amiga" mean GirlFriend?)

Actually (no flames please; I took Spanish long ago and could be wrong) I
thought "amiga" meant "female friend", rather than "girlfriend" per se with
all the connotations of the latter.

It would be pretty kinky to say "my girlfriend is a computer", not to
mention making you look pretty weird...or nerdish :-)

nj
--
nj: ...!{pur-ee, rutgers, uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!nj, ...!ucbvax!mica!nj

mjsagar@sandia.gov (9123 SAGARTZ, MATHIAS J.) (11/20/89)

	It's a little known fact but the calculator people invented
reverse Polish notation to prepare kids for becoming C programmers.

	Atari, like Commodore, is feeling the slowdown in the PC
market.  Of course they are a little more deversified with their
games.  Last quarter they took a loss of 5.4 million on a sales
decline of 17% compared with the year earlier quarter.  So far
this year their sales are off 15%.  What fraction of their sales
are computers I don't know.
	For perspective in the PC market, Commodore is a little under
a billion dollars a year (in sales) company so they are about twice
the size of Atari.  Compaq is better than a 2 billion dollars/year
company and Apple is well over the 5 billion dollar mark.  It's
interesting to note that the stock market values Atari at about twice
what it does Commodore.  Value is the number of shares times the price
per share.