[comp.sys.amiga] Macinstuff

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (11/07/89)

A few questions on configuring the Amiga as a Macintoaster.

First of all, I've heard of some product called "Amigatosh Plus". What
exactly is this and how does it compare with Amax, assuming that it's
actually an emulator? I'm hoping to come by a GVP Impact hard drive
and think it would be sort of neat to be able to use it on the mac
side. I know that'd take a bit of screwing around, but maybe since
it's a competing product they've managed something I couldn't hope to
do.

Second, how does one hook a Mac drive up to the Amiga? Everyone tells
me it's a lot easier to run Mac software under Amax with a drive. Does
Amax have an extra port for a Mac drive or something, or does it come
with an adaptor or what?

Finally, on an amusing note, I hear from a local BBS echo that Amax
has been cracked into a purely-software version by some random pirates
(ie you de-warp a couple disks and you've got a Mac). I think this is
pretty funny..... what will they do next, crack the Video Toaster?
I guess that validates the idea of a disk-based ST emulator, though.
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>

                       What noisy cats are we.

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (11/08/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 7-Nov-89 Macinstuff Robert J.
> Kudla@pawl.rpi (1191)

> Finally, on an amusing note, I hear from a local BBS echo that Amax
> has been cracked into a purely-software version by some random pirates
> (ie you de-warp a couple disks and you've got a Mac). I think this is
> pretty funny..... what will they do next, crack the Video Toaster?
> I guess that validates the idea of a disk-based ST emulator, though.
> --

The reason they can do that is because it's simply a matter of reading
in the pirate MuckROMs from disk, which is analogous to the only
function of the AMax hardware.  The sad thing is that it's much faster
that way, too...

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (11/09/89)

In article <1989Nov7.101219.29893@rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>A few questions on configuring the Amiga as a Macintoaster.
>
>First of all, I've heard of some product called "Amigatosh Plus". What
>exactly is this and how does it compare with Amax, assuming that it's
>actually an emulator? I'm hoping to come by a GVP Impact hard drive

The Amig-a-tosh Plus is a product by MAST Technologies.  What they
did is simply this:  They took a Mac drive, combined an Amiga drive
interface and a ReadySoft AMAX cratridge and combined them all into one
box.  You still need the AMAX software and the Mac ROMS.  It's just
AMAX in a neater package, nothing different.

For using AMAX with a HD, see AMAX 2 coming RSN.

>Second, how does one hook a Mac drive up to the Amiga? Everyone tells
>me it's a lot easier to run Mac software under Amax with a drive. Does
>Amax have an extra port for a Mac drive or something, or does it come

 The Readysoft AMAX adapter cartridge plugs into the Amiga's external
disk drive port, or into an external drive that gives it power.  The adpater
cart has an Amiga drive passthru, as well as an Mac drive plug on it.
It accepts the newer-style DB connectors, not the earlier DIN.

>Finally, on an amusing note, I hear from a local BBS echo that Amax
>has been cracked into a purely-software version by some random pirates
>(ie you de-warp a couple disks and you've got a Mac). I think this is

Nope, that's not quite what they did.  There's a program out called
MacRom, by John Draper AKA Cap'n Crunch.  What it does is make an image
file of the Mac ROMS on disk, then, IF you run MacRom before loading
AMAX, you can force AMAX to use the disk ROM instead of the real,live
cart ROM.  This costs you 128K of memory though, since the disk ROM image
must be resident before the Mac system takes over.

It's not intended to pirate AMAX, and those that use it in such a fashion
lose the ability to use a Mac drive, which makes the program extremely
hard to use (no comments here about friends that have AMAX...and no
piracy flames please!)

John

(.sig under reconstruction)

<kZJro8600XogM1QmcA@andrew.cmu.edu>
In article <kZJro8600XogM1QmcA@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael
Gordon Shapiro) writes:
 >> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 7-Nov-89 Macinstuff Robert Kudla
 >
 >> Finally, on an amusing note, I hear from a local BBS echo that Amax
 >> has been cracked into a purely-software version by some random pirates
 >> (ie you de-warp a couple disks and you've got a Mac).
 >The reason they can do that is because it's simply a matter of reading
 >in the pirate MuckROMs from disk, which is analogous to the only
 >function of the AMax hardware.  The sad thing is that it's much faster
 >that way, too...

Yea, but as far as I know, you can't plug a mac drive into the amiga drive port
so without the hardware box, they can't hook up any Mac drives.. they
can only read the mac stuff that was placed on amiga disks. But you need to
have the AMAX hardware in order to copy the stuff onto the amiga disks. So
it looks like this piracy is a bit spoiled, eh? :-)

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
If you've seen one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

dannie@coplex.UUCP (Dannie Gregoire) (11/10/89)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>But you need to have the AMAX hardware in order to copy the stuff
>onto the amiga disks. So it looks like this piracy is a bit spoiled,
>eh? :-)

Not if you have a Mac TERM package (I believe Red Ryder has been "provided"
on the pirate distribution disks) and some archival software, and a friend
with a Mac and a modem ;-) ;-)

>--
>John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
>If you've seen one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (11/13/89)

Actually, cracking the A-Max to disk isn't all that unfeasible.  People
are mislead to believe that the cartridge plays a key-role in the
emulation, when in fact, all it is is an interface to the drive and a
cheap PROM reader.  It reads the PROMs into memory when you start
A-Max, that is why it freezes up for about 30 seconds then returns to
normal.  All one would have to do is patch in a routine to load memory
with the saved ROMs and remove the check for the cartridge.  No big
deal.  Yet people are still baffled over the whole idea of Mac
emulation.

Which brings me to my next point.  Is it possible to access the Amiga
hardware through the Mac emulation?  Could an INIT be written to
QuickDraw with the blitter rather than the processor?  Could you modify
the copper-list to 'rainbow' the Mac's colors and thus provide you with
a psychedelic Mac?  I don't know of any monitors that allow you to dink
around on the Mac, that "programmers switch" is a poor excuse.  Has
anyone tried this stuff?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (11/17/89)

dannie> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>But you need to have the AMAX hardware in order to copy the stuff
>onto the amiga disks. So it looks like this piracy is a bit spoiled,
>eh? :-)

dannie> Not if you have a Mac TERM package (I believe Red Ryder has been "provided"
dannie> on the pirate distribution disks) and some archival software, and a friend
dannie> with a Mac and a modem ;-) ;-)

Or if you own the Mac-2-Dos package from Central Coast, which allows
you to read and write Macintosh disks with a Mac disk drive....

					--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

"you might not think so now,
 but just you wait and see..."		--Kate Bush

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) (11/20/89)

     Raise the flag--- there be PIRATES on the net........
       Hang 'em by the yardarms, NO! Make them buy an IBM PC (AHHHHHGGGGGG!!!)

  Adam hill