[comp.sys.amiga] Missing k directive

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) (10/30/89)

I hope I am not being stupid but I can't figure this out.  I am having
problems booting my Amiga.  Normally I boot off of a floppy and pass
control over to my hard-drive (no auto-boot roms).  This has worked
just fine for the 2 months or so I have had my HD.  Beginning today,
however, I get a message saying "missing k directive dh0:c/execute
return code 20" (or something similar) before control is passed over to
the HD.  If I type the same command line (dh0:c/execute
dh0:gvpscripts/myhd-continue) at the point where execution
stopped things go as usual.  If I use the hdstartup-continue script
that GVP provided booting proceeds normally (no missing k directive).
I haven't done anything that would change my HD script as far as the
argument template goes (it doesn't take any arguments).  The last
thing I recall doing to the script was  modifying it to run dmouse and
adding ls3.1 to my list of resident commands.  I didn't test to see if
the modifications worked at the time...everything seemed straight
forward.  Can someone provide me with a clue about what might be
happening?

Thanks,

	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (10/31/89)

I have some similar problems now with my Shell-Startup. I added 3-4 aliases
and changed the prompt definition from the original 1.3 Shell-Startup.
Now I get the missig k directive error whenever I start the Shell
from Workbench using the Shell Icon . It *doesn't* happen when I
execute it afterwards from the just opened shell or when I open a
new shell using the newshell command !

			claudio (claudio@forty2.uucp)

INTERNET: claudio@amsoft.imp.com   BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Switzerland

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (11/01/89)

In article <1105@forty2.UUCP>, claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:
> I have some similar problems now with my Shell-Startup. I added 3-4 aliases
> and changed the prompt definition from the original 1.3 Shell-Startup.
> Now I get the missig k directive error whenever I start the Shell

I also got this message while trying to start Csh from the workbench a
couple of weeks ago. It was shortly after rebuilding my harddrive as a
result of multiple hardware problems. I don't remember what I did to
correct this, and if it really was 'Csh' (I also use Wsh and the ARP shell
but usually Csh). Am curious also what this 'k directive' is.

					 Thanks,

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again  |  Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"  |  DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) (11/02/89)

BH>From: farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston)
BH>Orga: Massachusetts Institute of Technology

BH>thing I recall doing to the script was  modifying it to run dmouse
BH>and adding ls3.1 to my list of resident commands.  I didn't test to

Bill, check for an undefined default .bra and .ket pair such as a `run
<nil: >nil: df0:dmouse', could even be over two lines.  Another way to
avoid the problem is to define .bra as something, ie: `.bra {', that way
it's unlikely to confuse `Execute's finding of any `<'s or `>'s!!

VIC

---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (11/04/89)

In article <1105@forty2.UUCP> I wrote:
|I have some similar problems now with my Shell-Startup. I added 3-4 aliases
|and changed the prompt definition from the original 1.3 Shell-Startup.
|Now I get the missig k directive error whenever I start the Shell
|from Workbench using the Shell Icon . It *doesn't* happen when I
|execute it afterwards from the just opened shell or when I open a
|new shell using the newshell command !

Thanks to everybody who sent me mail, telling me that I probably have
a "<" somewherer in my Shell-Startup. After cleaning up my prompt
which contained that character everything worked well again.

Now I'm still wondering, why there is a difference between using the
Shell-Icon to start it up, and using some other method.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/04/89)

[The whole "Missing K Directive" problem is covered in the monthly posting.]

Is this problem due to be fixed in 1.4?  Actually, I guess "fixed"
isn't the right answer.  More like "made more difficult to stumble on
and have the documentation cover what to do a little better"?

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli    -- limonce@pilot.njin.net        Standard Disclaimer
CM 1060           -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/20/89)

claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:

>In article <1105@forty2.UUCP> I wrote:
>Thanks to everybody who sent me mail, telling me that I probably have
>a "<" somewherer in my Shell-Startup. After cleaning up my prompt
>which contained that character everything worked well again.

>Now I'm still wondering, why there is a difference between using the
>Shell-Icon to start it up, and using some other method.

If you use EXECUTE, then parameters are parsed by the command and subsituted
in the script. Actually a second script is generated with those substitutes.

If it is called from NEWSHELL or as a startup-sequence, you just feed
it into the CLIs standard input without ever looking at parameters or
meta-commands (.bra, .dot, .key, etc....)

I use in my startup-sequence:

EXECUTE shell-execute

and my shell-execute file comes up with .BRA { since otherwise any
io-redirections would cause a 'missing K-directive' error.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv