[comp.sys.amiga] Lies, lies, you're telling us lies...

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (11/15/89)

>From: hill%evax.arl.utexas.edu%mwunix@mwvm.mitre.org (hill at evax.arl.utexas.edu@MWUNIX)
>To:  okay@tafs (OKAY at TAFS)
>Subject: Re: Mail Orders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

>   If you think getting screwed by mail-order is bad pick up a copy of the Dec
>Amiga Resource  Arlan Levitan has a list of the top ten out and out LIES about
>the amiga.... THEY ARE F***ING UNBLIEVABLE!!!!!
>    He said he changed the names to protect the innocent but I think we should
>try and get a list of the places and their specific LIES an warn them to clean
> up
>up their act.... (flame off )
I agree wholeheartedly....I can't believe that AmigaWorld still accepts and
puts out ads for Montgomery Grant. I'm pretty disappointed and was
considering getting a subscription but now am having second thoughts.
Granted its not their job to censor, but they are sort of putting their own
reputation behind their advertisers everytime they accept an ad from
somebody. Its all a case of people being scared to death of attacks from
legal-lizards and not speaking up.  I say let 'em fry and they deserve the
consequences. As you've probably noticed, I'm not at all afraid to name
names or point fingers.
>   adam hill
--Steve
-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
				"Live a life you love, worship a god you trust,
				 And don't take it all so seriously"
					   --Love and Rockets
Disclaimer:"Mine!....mineminemineminemineminemine"

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/16/89)

   I too was SHOCKED by the misinformation being spread by computer retailers
Is there NO integrity in the market place?????  What about replying to each
of the points in question individually with the CORRECT information and
spreading that???  It would probably take a group effort to get all the
facts straight, but might it not be worth it?  Heck, Commodore should come
out with a fact sheet, COMMON MYTHS (you could take the 'lies' verbatim)
and truthful rebuttals/answers and let the dealers have 'em, so when people
come in with these incorrect notions, they can get it out on the table.
   If you haven't read this article (December issue), you probably should.
                                          Julie (LadyHawke)
Some choice excerpts (wow, watch where you step ...)
        "Commodore is going out of business..."
        "Amigas are dangerous computers...because they were shorting out and
         starting fires in peoples homes."
        "The Amiga is an overpriced, modified Commodore 64."
        "The Amiga ... is not suitable for serious use."
        "Atari owned all the rights to the Amiga but decided not to
         produce it because its design was inferior to that of the
         Atari ST."
        "It is illegal to run a Macintosh simulator on an Amiga."
        "You can't hook up third-party peripherals to an Amiga."
              (This one almost made me split a gut.)
        "The Amiga isn't suitable for animation purposes..."
              (Oh, well, heck, then BKDC must just be a figment of
              our imaginations, hmmm?)
        "No one is writing software for the Amiga..."

Wow, stories like this would give Pinnochio a nose the size of the Empire
State building.  But you know, KNOWING what is being spread might give us
some ammo for fighting it.  So much for helping the public get whichever
is the best machine for their needs and providing them factual information
for making a choice.  I wonder how those sales reps sleep with a clear
conscience?

a1040@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Broughton) (11/17/89)

>I wonder how those sales reps sleep with a clear conscience?

You know what the difference is between a car salesman and a computer salesman?
A car salesman knows when he is lying to you.

Your list of lies about Amigas was impreive, but if you want to hear some more
good ones, talk to a Novell Network salesman (especially the ones who attempt
to sell ELS-1). "UNIX? Unproven."

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/17/89)

In article <24106@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>   I too was SHOCKED by the misinformation being spread by computer retailers
>Is there NO integrity in the market place?????  What about replying to each
>of the points in question individually with the CORRECT information and
>spreading that???  It would probably take a group effort to get all the
>facts straight, but might it not be worth it?  Heck, Commodore should come
>out with a fact sheet, COMMON MYTHS (you could take the 'lies' verbatim)
>and truthful rebuttals/answers and let the dealers have 'em, so when people
>come in with these incorrect notions, they can get it out on the table.
>   If you haven't read this article (December issue), you probably should.
>                                          Julie (LadyHawke)
>Some choice excerpts (wow, watch where you step ...)

    Here is one that Atari was spreading at Comdex:

    "The Amiga doesn't have multitasking, it is only a trick of some
    programs"

    I guess they never quit.
    Monty Saine

    "I hate these $%$%^ news readers that will not let you delete a dozen
    lines and add one"

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (11/18/89)

In article <539@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

>    Here is one that Atari was spreading at Comdex:

>    "The Amiga doesn't have multitasking, it is only a trick of some
>    programs"

	Yeah, like the operating system. #8^)

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/19/89)

>   If you haven't read this article (December issue), you probably should.
>                                          Julie (LadyHawke)

Excuse me, but what magazine is this?  Just curious.  I'd really like to be
*absolutely* sure before run the car-bomb into someone's corporate headquarters.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (11/22/89)

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>>   If you haven't read this article (December issue), you probably should.
>>                                          Julie (LadyHawke)
>
>Excuse me, but what magazine is this?  Just curious.  I'd really like to be
>*absolutely* sure before run the car-bomb into someone's corporate headquarters.
--------

Jeff,

Please don't car-bomb the magazine!  ( :-) )  They published the lies to
let the Amiga community know what others were saying -- to wake us up --
certainly not to perpetuate the lies!

The magazine is Compute!'s Amiga Resource.  So far I've found it to have
some useful articles and fair evaluations of software.  I've been
extremely disappointed with AmigaWorld, by comparison, particularly in
their reviews which generally are all fluff.

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com