[comp.sys.amiga] 2500UX and AmigaOS

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/09/89)

    I have no less than 4 friends interested in the 2500UX, but they have
similar questions about the Unix implementation.  Is it a full one?  How
much memory will be necessary?  Will it have Mach (sp?) extensions, etc.?
If Commodore does this right, there will be some instant sales in this
part of the world.                                 - JP

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/12/89)

In article <23824@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>I have no less than 4 friends interested in the 2500UX, but they have
>similar questions about the Unix implementation.  Is it a full one?

We are expecting to release all of System V Release 4.0.

>How much memory will be necessary?

Four megs is nice.  Two megs is absolute minimum.

Will it have Mach (sp?) extensions, etc.?

(Spelling is correct).  We looked at Mach and are still looking at it.
I would personally love to port it.  There are no solid plans right
now though.  There are no plans for Mach extensions with the first
release of Amix.

Pax, Keith

--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (11/12/89)

In article <23824@cup.portal.com>, Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com says:

>    I have no less than 4 friends interested in the 2500UX, but they have
>similar questions about the Unix implementation.  Is it a full one?  How
>much memory will be necessary?  Will it have Mach (sp?) extensions, etc.?
>If Commodore does this right, there will be some instant sales in this
>part of the world.                                 - JP

You might consider that Commodore is not going to sell a million of these
things, so that if you and 3 of your friends have one, you will represent a
powerful group of customers.  This means that if you remain in close contact
with the technical staff, and cultivate their affection, they will
naturally have a tendency to shape the 2500UX in the direction that you
want it to go.

                   lee

mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) (11/14/89)

I have a Amiga 2000 with an XT bridgeboard and would like to add a VGA
graphics card to the IBM side. According to the Amiga manual, the Bridge
board is suppose to be compatiable with the ATI EGA Wonder Card. Is it
also compatiable with the ATI VGA Wonder card. I purchased one recently
however I am unable to get any video output from it on my NEC Multisync
II monitor. Has anyone out there in Amiga land had any success with EGA
or VGA video cards on there XT Bridgeboard cards? Any help or comments
would be greatly appreciated.

  ________      ______                                       Matthew G. Hetman
( /  /  /        / /          /   /     ____                 AT&T Bell Labs
 /  /  /   _    / /          /---/       /   ____  _    __   (201) 386-7259
/  /  (___/-\__/ /____      /   (___()__/____///__/-\__/ /_  attbl!ho5cad!mgh

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (11/15/89)

From article <102@amix.commodore.com>, by ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski):
> In article <23824@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
> [...]
>> We are expecting to release all of System V Release 4.0.

My wife was fortunate to see the AMIX demonstration at EDUCOM, don't
know if it was Sys V v4.x or not, but she said it seem rather quick.

The real questions on our minds is the user interface.  Is it CBM's
own?  Is it based on , or compatible with, X windowing?

Also, will ethernet and TCP/IP, subnetting, NFS, etc be available from
CBM?

And lastly, will the Bridge board be supported from the AMIX side of
thing?

So far the Amiga (3 A2500's & 1 A2000) have worked well for my consulting
staff in our somewhat convoluted environment, but the inclusion on the
items in the query above would make life even easier.

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources
040T Library Annex
Wright State University
Col Glenn Hwy
Dayton, OH 45435
Phone:  (513)-873-4038

BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet

---

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (11/22/89)

In article <842@thor.wright.EDU> amercer@thor.wright.edu writes:
>My wife was fortunate to see the AMIX demonstration at EDUCOM, don't
>know if it was Sys V v4.x or not, but she said it seem rather quick.

It was System V 3.2.  System V 4.0 was first displayed at Unix Expo
a couple of weeks ago.

>The real questions on our minds is the user interface.  Is it CBM's
>own?  Is it based on , or compatible with, X windowing?

X11 will be available.  CBM has its owm windowing system for Amix that
may be supported.

>Also, will ethernet and TCP/IP, subnetting, NFS, etc be available from
>CBM?

Yes.  All will come standard.  Hardware may be optional (ie, EtherNet
cards).

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag