[comp.sys.amiga] Stoopid Amiga radio commercial

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (11/17/89)

I heard an ad on the radio that really ticked my cookies.  It was for some
Computer store chain (Software Etc., or ComputerLand, or something like that).
The quote that got me was:

 "The Amiga multitasks.  You can do up to four things at once on it."

Four?  4?  Oh, right.  I never knew there was a limit of four.  I quess I'll
have to shut down my terminal package downloading a batch of files, and stop
DigiView from smoothing an image, and stop reading my UUCP news (which was
delivered right to my machine at home.  Automatically), so I can work on the
DigiPaint III picture while Scuplt 3d is rendering a picture and I am running a
compile using Lattice 5.04, of a program that is currently running some
regression tests.

4.  Geesh.

 -Todd C.

p.s.  Saw a *funny* thing on a Mac program.  (The program was revolting.  It
had to do with a woman and a box of "toys" and some digitized sounds...).   The
program was hardly a "productivity" program.  It had this little PANIC button
on it.  The idea was to hit the button when your boss walked in the room, and
it would immediately pop a screen that looked like a spreadsheet.

  tee-hee.  With an Amiga you *can* run the spreadsheet.  And go play with the
toys while it crunches on some odious task.  You don't need silly kludge
buttons.  (Well, okay, there is that nasty bunch of games that don't multitask.
But we won't talk about that.)

pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) (11/18/89)

>	p.s.  Saw a *funny* thing on a Mac program.  (The program was
>	revolting.  It had to do with a woman and a box of "toys" and
>	some digitized sounds...).  The program was hardly a
>	"productivity" program.  It had this little PANIC button on it.
>	The idea was to hit the button when your boss walked in the
>	room, and it would immediately pop a screen that looked like a
>	spreadsheet.

Chessmaster 2000 has a menu item like this.

Paul Gootherts
Hewlett-Packard Co
UUCP: {hplabs,ucbvax}!hpda!pdg
Internet: pdg%hpisoa1@hplabs.HP.COM

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (11/18/89)

In article <39603@srcsip.UUCP>, carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
> [...]
> DigiPaint III picture while Scuplt 3d is rendering a picture and I am running a
> compile using Lattice 5.04, of a program that is currently running some
> regression tests.
>  -Todd C.

Yes, the multitasking is a Good Thing, but you have to wait for
the compile to complete before you can run the program.  And you
really had me going there for a minute.  I was just about ready
to switch to Lattice. ;-)

 -- Todd M. Lewis

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (11/22/89)

In article <-286609996@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts)
says:

>>  Saw a *funny* thing on a Mac program.  It had this little
>>PANIC button on it.  The idea was to hit the button when your boss
>>walked in the room, and it would immediately pop a screen that
>>looked like a spreadsheet.

(Side note:  Arkanoid on the Mac has a cute button like this too, that
 puts you in a word-processor called "ArkPerfect"!!  It even lets you
 type, cut and paste, and has menus.)

>Chessmaster 2000 has a menu item like this.
>
>Paul Gootherts

We'd rather it multitasked--same result, more flexibility!  :-)

Do most of you try specifically to purchase software that multitasks?
Seems to me that's one way of telling manufacturers what we want.

                                                          Kurt

cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) (11/22/89)

In article <89325.132939JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET> JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:

>Do most of you try specifically to purchase software that multitasks?
>Seems to me that's one way of telling manufacturers what we want.
>
>                                                          Kurt

I *only* buy software that multitasks.  It's an insult to my Amiga
to run software that doesn't respect the Exec.

--
Dan Cogswell                               "Gangster Fun -- It's the beat
(313)625-3234				      that you can wig-out to..."