[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs. 386 as a Unix System V Platform

gmd@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (George MacDonald) (11/20/89)

C= has been touting Unix for over a year now. I bought my 2500(Dec 88)
under the impression that unix was comming out "real soon now". After
six months of waiting I saw a version of unix running at SIGGRAPH in early
august. It was a 5.3 port with some small but interesting additions,
/dev/screen and /dev/amiga to give you an idea. The box was running a
strange but functional window manager, personally I didn't like it. The
box also had a 68030, an ethernet card and a cartridge tape. It was hooked
up on a network, NFS the r* commands seemed to work fine. In fact as a unix
box it passed my tests as FULLY functioning, I hogged the machine for several
hours(writting shell scripts, programs and poking arround with the devs and
looking at the interesting new include files). Of course the machine was not
integrated in any way with AmigaDOS, which is good(if your a unix pureist)
and bad(if your a heavy Amiga user). I suggested C= ought to just sell it
as a vanilla unix package and worry about integrating it with windows and
AmigaDOS later, needless to say I got nowhere. After the show I tried to
get on C= testing program, ARRGH all the machines were gone! So after
waiting a few months more I eventually gave up on C= delivering a unix
in the time period when I need it(this year).

Just last month I began to look at the 386 clone market as a possibility
for my inexpensive unix box. After shopping arround I found what I consider
to be a pretty good deal for about $4,000. A 25Mhz 386 with cache, 4Meg
memory, 160Mbyte ESDI hard disk, super VGA card and NEC 3D monitor.
This seems to compare favourably with an Amiga 2500UX or a 3000UX for
that matter(cpu power, storage, graphics ...). Also the 386 line has
several unix vendors, ISC for the bold, SCO for the rational, ESIX
for those on a tight budget, AT&T for the loyal and INTEL for the converted
and the list grows and grows. I then had to agonize over what hardware I
could buy for my Amiga vs. the 386 box. I thought to myself, I could get a
25Mhz 68030, a flicker fixer, new monitor and a whopping SCSI disk for
my amiga with all that money. But alas I would still not be able to run
unix, which is what I really need.

So a few weeks ago I ordered my new 386 box and then started wondering if
I should sell my 2500. I currently use it every day, it runs 24 hrs a day
as my mail and usenet node. I eventually came to the decision that it is
rather an expesive toy to keep, and since my 386 box will do all the things
I really need, I should probably sell it. Just about that time we heard from
Unix Expo that C= are now jumping straight to system V.4, which makes me glad I
ordered my 386 box! C= can't possibly have V.4 available by early next year,
it'll probably be next summer(my guess, of course I thought they would
have unix this summer). Still if I hang on to my 2500 I will eventually
have another unix box, and a 680X0 variety as well, which brings me to
some questions.

If I hang onto my 2500 what hardware am I going to need to run Unix?

	4 Meg??
	80 Meg hard disk??
	Cartridge tape??

I need a cartridge tape for my 386 anyhow and wondered if I could get compatible
hardware. Anyone know what cartridge tape is used in the 2500UX? Archive?
Or what kind of interface drives it? 2090? SCSI or ST506?

Will C= sysV.4 support both the st506 & SCSI of the 2090 simultaneously?
i.e. if I buy a SCSI host adapter and disk for my 386 can I use the
SCSI disk on the amiga using to 2090 and C= Unix5.4? If I want to do this
sort of hardware swaping are there any limitations on the SCSI drive, other
than physical size(1/2 hieght 5 1/4)? Will C= 5.4 boot from the SCSI?
Can I partition my 40 Meg drive to boot either AmigaDOS or UNIX and
then mount a large SCSI disk?

If I keep my amiga I could turn it into a graphics workstation right now
by adding an ethernet card, X windows and optionally a flicker fixer. BUT:

	Will the Ethernet card and flicker fixer
	card currently available work with C= Unix 5.4?

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (11/22/89)

In article <168@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> gmd@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (George MacDonald) writes:
[much deleted]

>If I keep my amiga I could turn it into a graphics workstation right now
>by adding an ethernet card, X windows and optionally a flicker fixer. BUT:
>
>	Will the Ethernet card and flicker fixer
>	card currently available work with C= Unix 5.4?
With respect to the flicker fixer, the answer is yes.

--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com