[comp.sys.amiga] Music on Amiga is not the same

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/17/89)

How many old C64 owners/users are there out there?  I persuaded my parents to
buy one over the course of years...first Christmas, we got the computer...a
few months later we got a Datasette (cassette tape)...second Christmas we got
a disk drive (1541, slow as he**)...few months later I bought a Fast Load
cartridge from Epyx (sped that 1541 up real good at the time)...third Christmas
we got a printer...

[Funny, they agreed to get my A2000 system as an educational expense. :-) ]

Anyway, I 'obtained' a *lot* of games for the C64 (that's mostly what I used
it for) and I was really struck by the incredible quality in the theme music
on those games.  The programmers really seemed to put some time into pushing
the C64's SID (sound chip) to its limits.  I particularly remember the games
Gyruss (Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor), Trolls and Tribulations (had
assorted Bach, Mozart, etc), Rambo (cool music, non-classical), Bump-N-Jump
(don't know what it's called, but it's classical), and many others.  I also
used Compute's SIDPlayer/Editor program (actually bought it!) and I like alot
of the songs done on the C64.  Particulary nice is the C64 version of Bach's
Two-Part Invention #13 --- this was the theme music for the C64 commercials of
the early 1980s...anyway,

I do not 'obtain' games for the Amiga (improved sense of morals/ethics) so
I do not know if anyone has managed to create similar sounding stuff in Amiga
music.  The C64 had a certain sound to it that is hard to duplicate exactly.
For one thing, most Amiga music uses digitized drums and instruments which
were not available on the C64.  Still, the C64 was/is a gem of a music machine
in its own simple-computer-music way.

Recently while I was home, I discovered that the SID in my C64 has gone bad and
not all of the 3 voices play correctly.  *Sigh*  So, I just got a little
sentimental about the whole thing and wondered if anyone had similar opinions
of C64 music and C64 game music?  Also, does anyone know of games for the
Amiga that have a more simplistic music to them---preferably sounding like the
C64 game music.  You know, a SID chip emulator on the Amiga that would play
any song arranged for Compute's SIDPlayer would be incredibly cool!  Dreams...

reminiscing to the glory days of 8-bits,

# Baird McIntosh  "...Can you hear me running; can you hear me calling you?" #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (11/17/89)

In article <4295@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>of C64 music and C64 game music?  Also, does anyone know of games for the
>Amiga that have a more simplistic music to them---preferably sounding like the
>C64 game music.  You know, a SID chip emulator on the Amiga that would play
>any song arranged for Compute's SIDPlayer would be incredibly cool!  Dreams...

   Geez, wouldn't it be nice if they made CD's that sounded like tapes?  (with
   all the hiss and fuzz and stuff).  That's about what you seem to be asking.
   The SID was what was done with music on personal computers until something
   like what was put in the Amiga came out.  I personally HATED the sound of
   the SID....almost sounded like an electronic calculator trying to expand
   it's musical repertoire or something like that.  I was elated when I heard
   what they were doing with the Amiga (pre-release hype).  I had always wanted
   something that sounded _REAL_ instead of like a SID (FAKE).  Of course, when
   I actually heard the Amiga going at it, I was absolutely thrilled--finally,
   something that sounded like music.  Recently, I arranged my own version of
   "Chariots of Fire" in Sonix....with the Amiga, I could create a nifty cool
   sounding base line, add a really nice electronic piano sound, and intersperse
   digitized trumpets between the piano.....all I wish is that I had one more
   voice so that I could add a drum line....of course if I had a MIDI drum
   machine, then I could cook....but, that's truly dreaming while in college.
   I guess the extra voices (expand them to 8, why don't you, C<) could go
   on my 3000 wish list.

   Please, though, no "Simply Isn't Doing it" chips or emulators...it's like
   1,000,000 steps backwards.  Yes, do all the songs, but do them with really
   killer sounds instead of the calculator sound of the SID.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam

   p.s.  Don't you guys wish that the Amiga had a voice emulator that sounded
   like a Speak&Spell :->

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (11/18/89)

In article <4295@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh)
>How many old C64 owners/users are there out there?  I persuaded my parents to
>sentimental about the whole thing and wondered if anyone had similar opinions

My friends and I used to play BallBlazer on my old C64 (got rid of it shortly
before buying my Amiga) --- we'd play for a few hours, and then spend the
next several hours humming the theme music, often without realizing it.
My only similar Amiga experience has been with Blood Money.  That's a lot
harder to hum though.  :-)

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/20/89)

Then, in article <374@geomag.fsu.edu>, prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam)
writes:
>Geez, wouldn't it be nice if they made CD's that sounded like tapes?   (with
>all the hiss and fuzz and stuff).  That's about what you seem to be asking.

You obviously have no respect for the past!  :-)

>The SID was what was done with music on personal computers until something
>like what was put in the Amiga came out.  I personally HATED the sound of
>the SID....almost sounded like an electronic calculator trying to expand
>it's musical repertoire or something like that.  I was elated when I heard
>what they were doing with the Amiga (pre-release hype).  I had always wanted
>something that sounded _REAL_ instead of like a SID (FAKE).  Of course, when

I'm sorry you don't appreciate the sounds of the C64.  However, I must say
that my original post was not meant to get negative feedback.  It's fine if
you *hated* the C64's music/sound features; I am really only interested in
the opinions of people who *liked* the C64's sound and music.  Obviously the
fact that you *don't* like that old sound has no bearing on my opinion (Gee,
now that you mention it, those C64 songs really are poop!  :-) and your post
has been of no help to me.  This is not a flame, but your post seemed to be.

>Please, though, no "Simply Isn't Doing it" chips or emulators...it's like
>1,000,000 steps backwards.  Yes, do all the songs, but do them with really
>killer sounds instead of the calculator sound of the SID.
>---Prem Subrahmanyam

Oh, you're too kind...maybe you mean it would be about 100^100000000 steps
backwards.  Jeesh, hyperbole at it's worst.

I actually got a response from *Harry Bratt* who was a co-author of Compute's
SID Editor/Player programs.  He said that he and Craig Chamberlain had
considered doing an Amiga sound-card of some kind, but they wanted to make
it something special and they just didn't have the time to do it.

The sad truth is that Sonix scores get really old unless you have a source of
new and exciting digitally sampled instruments or a digitizer yourself.  But
opinions do vary; I was really looking for a more positive response (which is
all I have gotten in the few mail replies I have received).

# Baird McIntosh  "...Can you hear me running; can you hear me calling you?" #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

colyer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (11/20/89)

I personally liked alot of the old C64-SID music.  The thing is at one time
I actually considered writing a SID Player to SMUS format converter.
However it never materialized...  Oh Well...

As to a source of new sounds one might try a program called Synthia by
The Other Guys...  I've never actually used it but it's supposed to be
pretty good.

--
#include <standard.disclaimers>
#define JAMES_COLYER COLYER@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

piaw@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (11/20/89)

In article <4468@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>The sad truth is that Sonix scores get really old unless you have a source of
>new and exciting digitally sampled instruments or a digitizer yourself.  But
>opinions do vary; I was really looking for a more positive response (which is
>all I have gotten in the few mail replies I have received).

Well, I've got a digitizer (AMAS --- anyone remember my posting requesting
for help?  No one answered :-(), and I've done some sounds in it..
(Including a 4 minute song broken up into 7 files) Unfortunately, they're
all too big (800K/file for about 50 seconds of stereo sound digitized at
12kHz), and I don't think there are enough people with that much RAM so it
doesn't have lots of mass appeal.

In fact, it's so big it won't even fit into CHIP ram, and I've got to use a
special sound program (called "sound") that reads it into FAST ram and then
moves it chunk by chunk into CHIP ram.  Unfortunately, it GURUs often...
Anyone got a better alternative?  (I want to digitize samples in as big as
possible)

Oh yeah, if you want the sounds, mail me for them, and I'll uuencode them
and send them to you.  Beware, though, these are HUGE files.  (Up to 1MB,
could take forever to download on 2400 baud --- I transfered them using a
tape cartridge...)

Oh yeah, they're all Japanese music soundtracks from animation.  (I'm an
anime fan.. So sue me.. :-) ) Some of them have hissing and cross-talk, but
most of it sound pretty good.  (The 4 minute song I did sounds the best)

># Baird McIntosh  "...Can you hear me running; can you hear me calling you?" #
># INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
piaw@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (11/20/89)

In article <4468@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>I'm sorry you don't appreciate the sounds of the C64.  However, I must say
>that my original post was not meant to get negative feedback.  It's fine if
>has been of no help to me.  This is not a flame, but your post seemed to be.

   I'm sorry, you just touched off a sensitive spot in me.  See, a long time
   ago, I was a budding musician (now, I am sort of a musician).  One Christmas
   , my parents bought some C64 music composition software for our C64...the
   name escapes me at the moment, but it was the really hyped one that came
   in 3 different packages that each did something different.  Well, I tried,
   and tried and tried and......tried to use it to do something musical, to
   make some nice sounds, etc.....all met with miserable failure.  These were
   in the days before the Amiga, or even CD's had been released.  Well, soon
   in some of the Compute! magazines, there were some articles describing the
   Amiga and what it would do....from the first description, I was hooked...see
   I had also tried to do some painting with some C64 paint software and got
   so frustrated when I tried to color over a specific spot with one color and
   had the entire vicinity painted that color instead of the line that I was
   trying to paint.  When I heard of the palette that the Amiga would support
   and the musical capabilities it would have, I set my heart on getting one
   as soon as possible.  When I actually went by and heard a demo of the
   Miami Vice theme on the Amiga they had there, I knew that *THIS* is what
   I had been looking for, only in vain, alas, for the C64 to be doing.

   Well, since then I've thoroughly enjoyed the sophistication of the
   Amiga as compared to the C64.  Now, I will admit, I did like their
   selection of songs created on the C64....they were really well done
   for the technology available....but imagine Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's
   Desiring" done on the Amiga with a digitized choir, real string sounds,
   real whatever else sounds, etc.  to make it like the real thing.  Isn't
   that a lot more appealing?  Like I said before, it would be really nice
   to have the *SONGS* done on the C64 all redone and jazzed up for the
   Amiga, but at least to me, it would be unacceptable to have the same
   *SOUNDS* as the C64 (calculator trying to be Mozart).  This is just
   one opinion, though.

   Again, I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but it touched on a lot of
   frustration felt in dealing with the limited capabilities of the
   C64 in my past.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (11/21/89)

Well, I, for one, agree with you.  The C64 music was great.  My all-time
favorites were the themes to Shard of Spring and, of course, M.U.L.E.  I
even tried porting the latter to DMCS, with limited success, due to its
cruddy sampled sounds.  I may try again with Sonix (which is more suited
for that kind of up-beat perky music).

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (11/21/89)

In article <5697@wpi.wpi.edu>, northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) says:

>My friends and I used to play BallBlazer on my old C64 (got rid of it shortly
>before buying my Amiga) --- we'd play for a few hours, and then spend the
>next several hours humming the theme music, often without realizing it.

#define ORAL_HISTORY_MODE on

BallBLazer was created by a guy named Peter Langston, a sort of Da Vinci
type guy.  He was on leave from Bell Communications Research aka Bellcore,
which is the place the the guys at Bell Labs think of as the far out
research guys.  Langston is the creator of many of the landmards of
Unix computing, and also an occaomplishedmusician.

One thing that makes the BallBlazer music good is that it is algorithmic---
that is, it doesn't really repeat exactly, though it stays within a tight
framework.

Langston discussed that algorithm, plus several others in a paper that is
published in the Confernence Proceedings of the Usenix Tech. Conference,
1986, PO box 7, El Cerrito, CA 94350.  There used to be a phone number
that you could call.  Langston's computer would answer and compose
a couple of tunes, just for you.

PS--Oral history means I am making this all up.

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (11/21/89)

In article <89324.115732UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>BallBLazer was created by a guy named Peter Langston, a sort of Da Vinci
>type guy.  He was on leave from Bell Communications Research aka Bellcore,
>which is the place the the guys at Bell Labs think of as the far out
>research guys.  Langston is the creator of many of the landmards of
>Unix computing, and also an occaomplishedmusician.
>
>One thing that makes the BallBlazer music good is that it is algorithmic---
>that is, it doesn't really repeat exactly, though it stays within a tight
>framework.
>
>PS--Oral history means I am making this all up.

Really?  Sounds good to me.  BTW, wasn't the original Ballblazer (and rescue
from Fractalus) designed on the greatest 8-bit of all time, the Atari 800?
I remember being amazed at the fact that they could squeeze more than 16K into
a cartridge...

-Evan

|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/22/89)

Try AudioMaster II for making long samples.  It should let you use all of your  fastram.  It also lets you sample up to 40Khz.  It's a really nice program.

Jeff Axelrod