[comp.sys.amiga] A1000's running continuously

jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/20/89)

"Michael E. Drues" <drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> asks:

> For that matter, anyone know about the A1000 being left on 24hr/day???

My A1000 was powered up in March of this year when I installed a larger
hard drive on the system and has been running since then.

I've been running a BBS on my A1000 since April, 1986.  The Amiga was
bought in September, 1985 and has performed since that time without any
failures.  (I have taken the keyboard off, opened it and cleaned it
twice, but that shouldn't count --- necessary since I smoke)

The system is now running with an UPS and has only been powered down to
connect and disconnect equipment within the last two years.  For the
first year of operation the BBS was running without a hard drive, so the
floppies got a pretty good workout during that period and are still
worrking fine, though the internal drive sees very little use now (Only
used for booting the system.)  The external drive is used for backups so
it does see a fair amout of use.  Both have never had any problems.
This machine is the first one sold in our area --- no halfbrite, good
PALs, and a *REAL* 1080 monitor with the little feet to tilt it forward!

Your mileage will probably vary.   8-)

   --- Cal

   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!

In <4442@nigel.udel.EDU>, jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:

>This machine is the first one sold in our area --- no halfbrite, good
>PALs, and a *REAL* 1080 monitor with the little feet to tilt it forward!

A little trivia for the oral history buffs.  The 1080 was the same monitor as
the 1902, which was designed for the C128.  The 128 did not support analog RGB,
though the 1902 was produced both with and without analog RGB capability.  On
the ones that were produced without the capability, there were a dozen or so
components (diodes, caps, etc.) omitted from the circuit board, and the three
position switch could not be placed in the analog RGB position because of a
slight difference in the opening in the plastic case. I personally think that
the analog RGB circuitry was removed to prevent folks from saving a few hundred
bucks by buying the 1902 rather than the 1080.

The little feet to tilt it forward?  Well, if you take a look at the 128
(similar to an A500, but a little shorter), you will see that if the front of
the 1902 (or 1080), is placed on the rear 'platform' of the 128, that the feet
make it stand pretty much flat.

-larry

--
My name is OS/2, Mandius, Kludge of Kludges.
Look upon my works, ye CS majors, and gag.

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (11/22/89)

In article <819@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> Larry Phillips writes:
>In <4442@nigel.udel.EDU>, jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>
>>This machine is the first one sold in our area --- no halfbrite, good
>>PALs, and a *REAL* 1080 monitor with the little feet to tilt it forward!
>
>A little trivia for the oral history buffs.  The 1080 was the same monitor as
>the 1902, which was designed for the C128.  [...]

Trivia on the other half of Calvin's system: it wasn't one of the VERY first
A1000's, because the very earliest A1000's were shipped with halfbrite.  I've
never figured out why this was the case, but it was.  Apparently the Rev 5
Denise didn't snd a few thousand Rev 6 chips were
shipped in the beginning.  Then Rev 5 shipped for a long time.  I don't know if
the newer A1000's with EHB have Rev 6 Denises or a later version.  (For
reference, my A1000 is serial #XM1050534 and was probably the first sold in
Santa Cruz county, as there was only one store at the time and all evidence
pointed to mine being the first sale).  I can't remember if this was August
or October '85 -- whenever the A1000 first shipped, + up to 2 weeks.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino    *   \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 and XBBS +408-476-4945