[comp.sys.amiga] crossdos.luu crossdos demo

dash@legs.legs (Darrell Shively) (11/18/89)

Last month, Joel Swan was kind enough to upload the CrossDos demo file
for use.  It was uuencoded, and in LHARC format.  I uudecoded it fine,
and now have crossdos.lzh.  Thankyou very much, Joel.

Umm.  But what is LHARC ?  I have zoo, pkzip and ARC; does anyone know
what LHARC is, and where I can get it ?

By the way, what sort of luck have others had with the CrossDOS demo ?
Has anyone purchased the retail package ?  If so, how do you like it ?
--
Darrell M. Shively II (dash)        uucp:      {ccicpg,felix}!legs!dash
AST Research Inc. Dept 660          MS OnLine: MS05455

arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) (11/21/89)

From article <213@legs.legs>, by dash@legs.legs (Darrell Shively):
> By the way, what sort of luck have others had with the CrossDOS demo ?
> Has anyone purchased the retail package ?  If so, how do you like it ?
> --
Yes, I am using the package. In my short experience with Amiga, this is
the first software that is very useful. I need it because my work PC is AT&T.
Just as the writeups say, type "cd di0:" and your internal drive becomes
a PC drive (at 720KB). After you are done with it, type "cd df0:" and you
can insert any Amiga disks. Even for a novice like me, the telephone
support was very good.

Aswath

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (11/22/89)

In article <213@legs.legs> dash@legs.legs (Darrell Shively) writes:
>Last month, Joel Swan was kind enough to upload the CrossDos demo file
>for use.  It was uuencoded, and in LHARC format.  I uudecoded it fine,
>and now have crossdos.lzh.  Thankyou very much, Joel.

If you had gotten it from comp.binaries.amiga it would have been
uuencoded zoo format.  At least mine was.  (Or maybe I got it from
something.tut.Ohio?)

>By the way, what sort of luck have others had with the CrossDOS demo ?
>Has anyone purchased the retail package ?  If so, how do you like it ?

I purchased CrossDos a few weeks ago from our local retailer for $26.
Last night was the first time that I put it through any paces.  I had to
buy a 3.5" drive for my PC in my office, but I have had no trouble with
CrossDos on the Amiga 2000 w/ 2 floppies and 3MB on an 8up! card.

Last night's work consisted of taking some ASCII data files that I had
created on the PC and writing a program to average and take the std. dev.
of the data points and spit out a file.  I found it easier to copy the
data with the ] filter (converts ^M^J to ^J) to ram: and then work
only with the Amiga data since I was doing the floppy dance with my compiler
disk and C_libs disk otherwise.  Once I got past my stupid programming
errors, I copied the data back to the MS-DOS disk and went to bed.

This morning the data worked just fine when read by my PC drive(s).
I'd say that CrossDos is another nail in the coffin of my 386,
now if I only had a 68030/882 and hard drive and ....

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

nil@nil.pixar.uucp (Scott J. Kramer) (11/23/89)

Speaking of LHARC, will anyone be porting it to UNIX?
--
			.	.	.

Scott J. Kramer			inet:	pixar!nil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Pixar				uucp:	...!{sun,ucbvax}!pixar!nil
3240 Kerner Boulevard		voice:	415-258-8173
San Rafael, CA, USA
94901

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (11/23/89)

In article <2804@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>Last night's work consisted of taking some ASCII data files that I had
>created on the PC and writing a program to average and take the std. dev.
>of the data points and spit out a file.  I found it easier to copy the
>data with the ] filter (converts ^M^J to ^J) to ram: and then work
>only with the Amiga data since I was doing the floppy dance with my compiler
>disk and C_libs disk otherwise.  Once I got past my stupid programming
>errors, I copied the data back to the MS-DOS disk and went to bed.

This syntax (using ] on the end of a file name) to specify the end of
line conversion is the reason I have so far stuck with using
DOS-2-DOS.  Sticking a ] on the end of a file name means you can't use
wild-card file names to copy a bunch of files between MSDOS and
AmigaDOS disks.  DOS-2-DOS, while it doesn't let you access the files
through the normal file system, lets you do wild card copying.  Since
this is my most common usage, CrossDOS, for all it's elegance, is
harder to use.

I have only used the demo version.  I assume the commercial version is
the same.

|  Mark Waggoner   (408) 721-6306           waggoner@dtg.nsc.com     |

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (11/23/89)

In article <345@blenheim.nsc.com> waggoner@blenheim.UUCP (Mark Waggoner) writes:

>This syntax (using ] on the end of a file name) to specify the end of
>line conversion is the reason I have so far stuck with using
>DOS-2-DOS.
[...]

A simple 'foreach file () ...' alias with Shell3.03 solved this setback pretty
quickly. Might give it another try.

Gotta buy CrossDos one of these days so I can try a foreach on the write :^)

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"