[comp.sys.amiga] new Agnus

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (05/01/89)

    Now that the new Agnus chip is out, I assume that the CATS are
allowed to talk about it. I'd like to know all of the new features
of it, as well as which ones we will have to wait till 1.4 to use.

    It seems definate that the new chip can handle 1 Meg of chip
ram, but can it handle 2 Megs? (2 Megs is the address space set
asside in the Amigas memory map for chip ram.) Is this the chip
which will handle the roumered non-interlaced display? Is there
any truth to the roumer about it having 64 color registers?

Douglas Peale

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (05/09/89)

In article <1562@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>    It seems definate that the new chip can handle 1 Meg of chip
>ram, but can it handle 2 Megs? (2 Megs is the address space set
>asside in the Amigas memory map for chip ram.)

The A2000 and A500 motherboards can only handle 1 megabyte of chip RAM.
That's because only address lines A1 thru A19 go to Agnes' socket.  A1 thru
A18 are pins 60 thru 77 respectively and A19 is pin 59.
   2^19 = 512K words = 1024K bytes = 0x000000 to 0x0FFFFF.
Even though expansion RAM doesn start until 0x200000, there is no way the
custom chips can access locations from 0x100000 to 0x1FFFFF because address
line A20 doesn't go to Agnes' socket.  I have no idea what Commodore is
planning for that unused address space.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@tymix.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (05/09/89)

From article <114@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, by jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith):
> The A2000 and A500 motherboards can only handle 1 megabyte of chip RAM.

	I wonder what does it require to update old
	A500 to use new Agnus ( and 1Meg chip ram).

	Is that possible, and what should be done?

				Pertti Lehtinen
				pl@tut.fi
pl@tut.fi				! -------------------------------- !
Pertti Lehtinen				!  Alone at the edge of the world  !
Tampere University of Technology	! -------------------------------- !
Software Systems Laboratory

golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) (05/10/89)

In article <114@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <1562@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>>    It seems definate that the new chip can handle 1 Meg of chip
>>ram, but can it handle 2 Megs? (2 Megs is the address space set
>>asside in the Amigas memory map for chip ram.)
>
>The A2000 and A500 motherboards can only handle 1 megabyte of chip RAM.
>That's because only address lines A1 thru A19 go to Agnes' socket.  A1 thru
>A18 are pins 60 thru 77 respectively and A19 is pin 59.

Does anyone know if the A1000 even has enough lines to support one meg
of CHIP ram?  Is it even possible to do a FATTER AGNES adaptor thing?
(F.A.A.T. :-)

Mike Golden
Physiology Undergraduate
Michigan State University

adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) (05/10/89)

In article <7018@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>From article <114@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, by jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith):
>> The A2000 and A500 motherboards can only handle 1 megabyte of chip RAM.
>
>	I wonder what does it require to update old
>	A500 to use new Agnus ( and 1Meg chip ram).
>
>	Is that possible, and what should be done?
>
>				Pertti Lehtinen
>				pl@tut.fi
>pl@tut.fi				! -------------------------------- !
>Pertti Lehtinen				!  Alone at the edge of the world  !
>Tampere University of Technology	! -------------------------------- !
>Software Systems Laboratory

The upgrade requires gaining access to the A500's motherboard,
replacing the Agnus chip itself, cutting one trace and one jumper
pad and bridging a jumper pad with solder.

If anyone needs specifics, let me know by email.  Tell me where you bought
your 1M Agnus.  (You should try asking them for instructions first).

	Adam

                       NOTICE
                       ------

If your Amiga is still under Commodore warranty, you may void
that warranty by handling chip replacement yourself.  Please
keep that in mind, and consider having an authorized Commodore
Amiga Service Center perform this replacement.

--
     Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS   Commodore-Amiga Technical Support
     1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380     (215) 431-9180

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (05/12/89)

In article <2917@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
>In article <114@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>>In article <1562@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>>>    It seems definate that the new chip can handle 1 Meg of chip
>>>ram, but can it handle 2 Megs? (2 Megs is the address space set
>>>asside in the Amigas memory map for chip ram.)
>>
>Does anyone know if the A1000 even has enough lines to support one meg
>of CHIP ram?  Is it even possible to do a FATTER AGNES adaptor thing?
>(F.A.A.T. :-)

I wanna know this too!  I have a 1000 and the Chris Erving A/C memory
hack, which places memory  at the second 512k just where we want it:
1 meg of contiguous RAM on the Chip bus.

Keep in mind, though, that I am not squeamish about putting a couple
dozen jumpers on the motherboard and/or adding a piggyback board on the
Agnus socket.

-Vince

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (05/12/89)

In article <2917@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:

> Does anyone know if the A1000 even has enough lines to support one meg
> of CHIP ram?  Is it even possible to do a FATTER AGNES adaptor thing?
> (F.A.A.T. :-)

Maybe this should go into the Commonly Ask Questions monthly posting.

dum da duuuuum!  The answer is: No!

The A1000 depends on a lot of external circuitry to handle bus
arbitration and the things that need to be done to direct certain
memory reads to CHIP ram and others to FAST ram.  On the B2000/A500
all that stuff is done by Agnes (that's why she's put on weight).
This means that the external pins to Agnes are completely different
than the pins on a Fat Agnes or Fatter Agnes.

Even if you added one additional address line to your A1000 and if you
could* ignore all the other lines BUT correct the timing on the
similar lines; it still wouldn't work.

The only way to get a working Fatter Agnes is to sell your A1000 and
buy an B2000 or A500.

-Tom

* -- You can't.
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (05/12/89)

In article <May.12.03.15.18.1989.16151@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>In article <2917@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
>
>> Does anyone know if the A1000 even has enough lines to support one meg
>> of CHIP ram?  Is it even possible to do a FATTER AGNES adaptor thing?
>> (F.A.A.T. :-)
>
>Maybe this should go into the Commonly Ask Questions monthly posting.
>
>dum da duuuuum!  The answer is: No! ...
>
>The only way to get a working Fatter Agnes is to sell your A1000 and
>buy an B2000 or A500.

	Actually, you don't need to sell your 1000; a new 500 or 2000 will
operate correctly even if you still own a 1000 (like I do).

	Which reminds me -- I finally had resaon to use the PCCopy (and PcC720
program to patch PCCopy to read a 3.5" 720K disk).  First of all, I think
it's time that PCCopy would know how to do this sort of ting on it's own --
I'm mean, it seems so silly that this program can only be used for 5.25" drives.

	Anyway, I tried it on my 2000 and zilch -- it couldn't recognize
anything on the disk.  So I tried it on my 1000 and it worked!  What's the
deal here?  Is there something wrong with PCCopy or PcC720, or is there some
incompatibility with the type of drive I have in my 2000?

	Please post definitive responses:  I imagine this info would be
helpful to others who stumble upon the need to copy data from 720K PC floppies.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- "Where's my other sock?"  A. Einstein

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

jss@cbmvax.UUCP (John Schilling QA) (05/12/89)

In article <13652@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Vince Lee) writes:
>In article <2917@cps3xx.UUCP> golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
>>>
>>Does anyone know if the A1000 even has enough lines to support one meg
>>of CHIP ram?  Is it even possible to do a FATTER AGNES adaptor thing?
>>(F.A.A.T. :-)
>
>I wanna know this too!  I have a 1000 and the Chris Erving A/C memory
>hack, which places memory  at the second 512k just where we want it:
>1 meg of contiguous RAM on the Chip bus.
>
>Keep in mind, though, that I am not squeamish about putting a couple
>dozen jumpers on the motherboard and/or adding a piggyback board on the
>Agnus socket.
>
>-Vince

The new Agnus will ONLY support 1 meg of CHIP RAM.  You can not use
it win your Amiga 1000.  PERIOD.  END OF STORY. NO.
    ^"in--forget the 'w'

				John Schilling, QA
				CBM, Inc.

*  John Schilling	Assoc. Engineer, Quality Assurance Technical Support  *
*  uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jss	Commodore Business Machines   *
*=============================================================================*
*                             "...I just do eyes..."                          *

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (05/13/89)

In article <6808@cbmvax.UUCP> adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) writes:
>In article <7018@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>>From article <114@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, by jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith):
>>> The A2000 and A500 motherboards can only handle 1 megabyte of chip RAM.
>>	I wonder what does it require to update old
>>	A500 to use new Agnus ( and 1Meg chip ram).

     Will it be possible to update an A1000 with a FAT Agnus???

     (Oh Please Oh Please Oh Please ... )

     Don White
     zehntel!donw
     PO BOX 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (Will Bralick) (05/16/89)

I recently bought an Amiga 2500 :-).  How can one tell just how fat
one's Agnus is?  Serial number (what serial numbers are associated
with the chunkier chip)?  Is there a PD hack (like the extra half
brite test) that provides the definitive weigh-in for this corpulent
component?

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
     wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil   |  luxury than of arms, they lose

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (05/16/89)

The newest 2500's have a white sticker saying 1MB CHIP RAM on the side.
Just boot the machine open a shell or CLI window and type Avail.
If you see >500k of CHIP RAM available, you have the newest Agnus.

-Roger Uzun

ugwayne@sunybcs.uucp (Wayne Nelligan) (05/21/89)

Has anyone who is using the new Agnus chip had difficulties with getting some
software programs to boot or run.  If so, does anyone know of a work around.
I have a couple of really great games that I will miss playing if I can't get
the answer soon.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

     Thanks in advance.

         -Wayne Nelligan

Wayne Nelligan             --            SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science
.{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugwayne
CSNET:  ugwayne@Buffalo.CSNET        ARPANET: ugwayne%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET: ugwayne@sunybcs.BITNET

kbhagia@dasys1.UUCP (Kamlesh Bhagia) (05/21/89)

   Hello All!  I've got an Amiga 2000 with a multiscanning monitor.  And
   I've already placed an order for the new Agnus chip from my dealer.
   My question is:  Will the new chip do me any good right now?  Other
   than the ability to multitask more chip RAM hungry applications,
   what other functions can it serve before 1.4?  Will I be able to use
   any of the newer non-interlace modes with existing ROM/OS/software?

smc8516@ultb.UUCP (S.M. Curtin) (11/07/89)

Could someone please post the part number difference between the old
(512k) Agnus and the new 1 meg agnus. I would like to see if
I've got the new one in my machine but the trace changes have not been
made. Yup, Mine's an MG special. I'd hate to plunk out the $100, only
to find out that mine already had the new Agnus in it but just wasn't
activated.

Thanks.

...Sean.

<<Beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes to the bone......>>

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (11/08/89)

In article <1567@ultb.UUCP>, smc8516@ultb.UUCP (S.M. Curtin) writes:

> Could someone please post the part number difference between the old
> (512k) Agnus and the new 1 meg agnus. I would like to see if
> I've got the new one in my machine but the trace changes have not been

The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.

2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a byte
all for MS-DOS, go take a hike.

I know, its really juvenille, I couldn't help it. I'm so ashamed!

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again  |  Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"  |  DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/09/89)

In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
:In article <1567@ultb.UUCP>, smc8516@ultb.UUCP (S.M. Curtin) writes:
:>
:> Could someone please post the part number difference between the old
:> (512k) Agnus and the new 1 meg agnus. I would like to see if
:> I've got the new one in my machine but the trace changes have not been
:The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
:standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.

DUH.   Look at the persons question.  His traces haven't been cut so the
1 meg wouldn't show up.  That's the whole point of why he needs the
PART NUMBER.

:2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a byte
:all for MS-DOS, go take a hike.
:
:I know, its really juvenille, I couldn't help it. I'm so ashamed!
:
:
:--
:"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again  |  Michael Figg
:Heavy on the thirty weight!"  |  DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

According to my installation paper the Fatter Agnus 8372 IC has a part no.
PN#318069-02.
That's PN#318069-02 (I've repeated in case a bit gets dropped along the line).

Joel

JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/09/89)

In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:

> The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
> standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.

 Sure. However, this will not work with the standard A500.
 The original poster didn't mention the machine he(she) is having.

 Tomi

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (11/09/89)

From:	FEDEX::"amiga-relay-request@louie.udel.edu"  7-NOV-1989 09:55:09.71
To:	ESDC$SPAN::CASEBOLT
CC:
Subj:	New Agnus

From: "S.M. Curtin" <smc8516@ultb.uucp>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: New Agnus
Date: 6 Nov 89 17:25:36 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@udel.edu
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

Could someone please post the part number difference between the old
(512k) Agnus and the new 1 meg agnus. I would like to see if
I've got the new one in my machine but the trace changes have not been
made. Yup, Mine's an MG special. I'd hate to plunk out the $100, only
to find out that mine already had the new Agnus in it but just wasn't
activated.

Thanks.

...Sean.

<<Beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes to the bone......>>

Check out the latest Amiga World magazine.. There was an article on memory and
the AMIGA. They mentioned something about the AVAIL command from CLI. I don't
have the article with me but it states the new Fat Agnus can address a full MEG
of memory where as the old Agnus can only address 512k. GOOD ARTICLE !!

READ IT!!!

Richard Casebolt
BCSS,
MSFC, Alabama
205-544-2966

Someone (Ed ?) save this and put it in the intro posting :

	Walk up to an Amiga. Open a CLI window and type :
	1> Avail

	it prints out a table labled :
	Type	Available	In-Use	Maximum	Largest
	chip				XXXXXXX
	fast
	total

	Check the number where the XXXXXX is above, if it is
	523232 then you have the original agnus, if it is
	significantly more than this (like 1048576) then you
	have a new agnus.

Other ways to use this information :
	If you plunk down $100 to get the new agnus and when you
	pick up your machine it fails the "Avail test" then you
	know the dealer botched the installation.

	If your machine passes the avail test but has garbage on
	the screen, or weird arrangements of screen bits. Then either
	the dealer botched the installation or you don't really have
	a new agnus or you are running a Schwab screen hack. If
	your machine crashes a lot especially when you have several
	full size CLI windows open then you know the install was
	botched.

--Chuck McManis
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/10/89)

I think the original question was how to detect the presence
of an "uninstalled" New Agnus. Obviously, if the New Agnus is
properly installed then you will boot with more than 512K
of CHIP ram.  But what if the new agnus is in a machine that
originally had the old agnus in it but had the old agnus pulled
and the new agnus inserted without any other changes?  How does one
detect that?    -- Darren

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (11/10/89)

In article <17458@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>> The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
>> standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.
> Sure. However, this will not work with the standard A500.
> The original poster didn't mention the machine he(she) is having.
> Tomi

Really?

Well, I'm on a 'standard' A500 and through the wonders of multitasking I just
popped to my shell and did that, and lo and behold, it works.  Gee, I think I'll
try out "snap", here goes:

WB 1.3:> avail
Type  Available    In-Use   Maximum   Largest
chip     316200    207032    523232    304896
fast       2056    514832    516888       608
total    318256    721864   1040120    304896
WB 1.3>

 Nifty.
 PD

--
My other .sig is a Porsche.  Boongawa.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/11/89)

In article <3755@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I think the original question was how to detect the presence
>of an "uninstalled" New Agnus. Obviously, if the New Agnus is
>properly installed then you will boot with more than 512K
>of CHIP ram.  But what if the new agnus is in a machine that
>originally had the old agnus in it but had the old agnus pulled
>and the new agnus inserted without any other changes?  How does one
>detect that?    -- Darren

    Some previously 'undefined' bits in one of the custom chip registers
have now been defined as an "Agnus Version" value. There is another
location which will give you the "Denise Version" value. I don't have
the docs right with me, or I would post those custom chip register
addresses. At any rate, it should be a simple program to write, which
would inspect these locations and report the Agnus and Denise versions
installed. (KS 1.4 does this automatically, and sets some values in
ExecBase, I believe.)

JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/11/89)

In article <868@uwm.edu>, mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) writes:
> In article <17458@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>>> The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
>>> standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.
>> Sure. However, this will not work with the standard A500.
>> The original poster didn't mention the machine he(she) is having.
>> Tomi
>
> Really?
>
> Well, I'm on a 'standard' A500 and through the wonders of multitasking I just
> popped to my shell and did that, and lo and behold, it works.  Gee, I think I'll
> try out "snap", here goes:
>
> WB 1.3:> avail
> Type  Available    In-Use   Maximum   Largest
> chip     316200    207032    523232    304896
> fast       2056    514832    516888       608
> total    318256    721864   1040120    304896

 I didn't mean that the AVAIL command will not work on 'standard A500' ( the
 A500 which comes with 512K). My point is that you cannot find out whether the
 new Agnes is there or not just by typing AVAIL, when all you got is 512K of
 RAM. Now even if you add the expansion module to the A500, the AVAIL will
 not show 1M chip RAM. You have to reset some internal switch to make use
 of extra chip RAM.

 * You cannot tell the presence of new Agnes in A500 without opening the
   unit, unless the documentation says so. *
 Tomi

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (11/11/89)

In article <3755@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I think the original question was how to detect the presence
>of an "uninstalled" New Agnus. Obviously, if the New Agnus is
>properly installed then you will boot with more than 512K
>of CHIP ram.  But what if the new agnus is in a machine that
>originally had the old agnus in it but had the old agnus pulled
>and the new agnus inserted without any other changes?  How does one
>detect that?    -- Darren

This is how I interpreted the original message.  I had sent a mail message but
it bounced and I since deleted the message.  (If someone can't post working
reply addresses, then they aren't woth my effort to respond more than once.)

Since there are many people not answering the original question, I will try
again.  The only way I know is to inspect the part number of the Agnus chip.
There should be a 4 digit number that (If I remember right) is 873x.  Where
x is

    0   Original NTSC agnus
    1   Original PAL agnus
    2   New Super Fat agnus, NTSC and PAL.

The board has jumpers to select the PAL or NTSC mode at powerup, inform the
agnus chip to use the extra 512 k, and change the memory from $C00000 to
$080000.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (11/11/89)

*******Stuff deleted **************************

> * You cannot tell the presence of new Agnes in A500 without opening the
>   unit, unless the documentation says so. *
> Tomi

O.k... o.k...  I'll take the liberty to stuff this short ECS chip set test
into my posting.  This was posted on my BBS and checks the existence of
both the Super Agnus and the New Denise.  Source and executable included.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

-----------------------------cut here---------------------------------
begin 644 ecstest.zoo
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M  #L$EHPKX+$!   H0,   $           !E8W, =6YC92YM96X "@!_^68
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M\LANE#S%R2FOW#((+^LL,\TVAUIPSCMS[7.W!$,LM$!%R+$FFHPF+6B=9H(
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M6M7:Q76K7*6K4.$8I##4@0TC?!-+H^B&CXS!EIK2@^L"BR&WHB )1!C!24L
M QI@(:Z?\V@WR;#5KB[637TPCIO2($=Y@M&;/3@;06%@!*SN=:$+F8):/Y:K
M+T)DL#V%8QG88-0-3I8A3K57<><IU>3"D:76=1/#\(@VM17L8"9]VR G:D@Y
MY &1OAM0E+JR2)4U<IT770AMT;9=DX;@;+(JC4@EV28ULM%L] 7O?L;YD?W(
MP4MD^&= ?>"#;450H"=-:4KIAM#9RE&U(,6M;O% UJ7P@0]7_&@]<XO7E(HT
M8L@2DG#_RM;.#DZB)D$<^5@Z7JCXR8#\PTP9I(81$)0@(P&4"$1>O)_6@2#(
M:(#(BM?*V9I2[9HLX"_04.#?;69$G:A2%:M<!2M9Q?('-PK"A#[2TJF(H 55
MH,F8R] ";$H9!+%]\WQ18%MZ:CC"O/7M'E"<!!4/]U+&C6B1*[*F&2\5D36F
M2 %%T[^'\#@C/SZRD(0LZ(E*2=(64?*?IVM4Y (SRNJC\AS6:&4(9WE:KK(6
MMHJ0)C"+0,P4*O.-T*QF"K4YOF^*L\^&,*G]E/>\>A38VGX=R/KN!]=]V IS
MR_!FEA9!#B_Z&/72K"^(-&V\(SF"%-J"A"34;F:#V;84LI#=-O':9&7X-0J"
MW35BO\V.&@M=G ,"W*?$_0(!  \  %4-   A$@  _#DS @  JP$   $
M      !Z>F5N9'!A9"YF;V\ "@!_'0T     @$%     0"DC*   MX!P01"$
MF3=R0(1APP9$GC=U0)!YPP($'31IYAA,PZ;,"8T'$SZ,2- %B"X*%"!)$P($
MB"0GVH!04V<.'1!HRL@I8_$-"#AAR(" >/,B3SIA.((HXT;H&S,*06AYXQ,%
M0A!!I Q)L;&CR9<G&"J (^<-G3)CBN8$P2:,31 J=BY4T96GF;(RW;BEDV<H
MFQ,@L#1Y0J1($Q HQ,A)ZB8%F3!MPISA>2>G&P5T%KN98T:GG#1NSEA<&T;.
M&(QV['+D61IB4\1LTJSAB2:,'="BC;+=6W?IZSIP0(@I@UM!&.%YSH*8@P;A
MS<I,0=31:_H$F11?IU"4^*:,QHMA;K8I$\8-6)GEX4Z7RX:NF=4_0J0,XB;/
MG3!Y*HX$,28]S;?]O36>0G.D0489%2%4T7!TG"52&714-,8;FQFHDW0%A@;"
M@*!AMI8;9>!QTU0^7975$+VID,435= %1QU%O3&940F5)Q1P;+P1U%=,F#7'
M<7"4\08<'8%P!T=L>%C>&@Y!9-!5->&V(8(*O0937F:!P!X;?:4F1U]BI'%&
M@C6RE>53%I55AQ@=R1<0W*?$_0(
M                                _(,
!

end

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (11/11/89)

In article <17639@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> I didn't mean that the AVAIL command will not work on 'standard A500' ( the
> A500 which comes with 512K). My point is that you cannot find out whether the
> new Agnes is there or not just by typing AVAIL, when all you got is 512K of
> RAM. Now even if you add the expansion module to the A500, the AVAIL will
> not show 1M chip RAM. You have to reset some internal switch to make use
> of extra chip RAM.
>
> * You cannot tell the presence of new Agnes in A500 without opening the
>   unit, unless the documentation says so. *
> Tomi

  I have seen a PD program on several BBS' that is supposed to check for the
presence of the ECS chips.  I looked at the source code and it apperently
looks at a register to determine which chip you have.  If it hasn't hit a BBS
near you, let me know and I will send it to Bob Page for inclusion in the C.B.A
newsgroup.

             Marc Siskin
             PD Librarian Michigan Amiga Computer Resource Organization
                          (MACRO)

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/12/89)

[...]

I think what Joseph meant was an "Unexpanded A500."  If the machine had
only 512K total memory with a FAT Agnus, the avail would still show less
than the 1K chip mem.

Oh, and SNAP is very nifty.  Only drawback is that it won't insert a leading
character for quotes like snipit would. :-( This MUST be fixed.

Joel

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (11/13/89)

In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:

> The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
> standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.

	On standard A500 with 512k ram this tells me same amount
	whether or not I have new agnus.

	If it tells me more, I usually have new agnus but...

	If we are very strict, this tells me about my address decoding,
	not about agnus...

--
pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (11/13/89)

In article <17458@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, JOSEPH@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> In article <779@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
> >
> > The quick and easy (very easy) way to find out is just to run 'Avail' (a
> > standard AmigaDOS command) and see how much Chip ram you have.
>
>  Sure. However, this will not work with the standard A500.
>  The original poster didn't mention the machine he(she) is having.

I also read that this won't work on an A500 shortly after posting my message.
Does anyone know why?

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again  |  Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
Heavy on the thirty weight!"  |  DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/14/89)

From article <4710@abaa.UUCP:, by esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker):
[...]

	There is also a PD program out there which correctly finds both
Super Agnus and Super Denise. It's called 'SI' and it comes from Bill Barton
(of MIDI.library fame.) Here's an example of the output...

System Information v2.0b
Kramden Utilities (c) 1988,1989 Pregnant Badger Software

            Computer Name:  Amiga
         Operating System:  Kickstart v34.5, Workbench v34.28
           Main Processor:  Motorola 68000
          Math Peripheral:  Motorola 68881
 Vertical Blank Frequency:  60Hz
   Power Supply Frequency:  60Hz
             Custom Chips:  Super Agnus, Super Denise
               Video Mode:  NTSC
      Normal Display Size:  640 x 200
     Maximum Display Size:  466 x 262
       Pixel Aspect Ratio:  1:1.166

Memory List:

     Address Range     Pri   Attr  Size  Description
  $00200020-$009FFFFF   +0  $0005  8.0M  expansion ram
  $000008E8-$000FE7FF  -10  $0003  1.0M  Chip Memory

Computing Performance relative to:

                   A1000  IBM/XT
         Integer:   1.8     5.8
  Floating Point:   3.2    24.2

	(BTW, I've got a Processor Accelrator with 68881, that's why the
performance shows high...)

: ---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
:                                          computer that is not IBM compatible.
: UseNet Path: __!mailrus!sharkey!itivax!abaa!esker  ==  esker@abaa.UUCP
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (11/15/89)

   Using SI, I'm told I have a Super Agnus.  But my 512K of chip memory,
   as well as the dealer I bought the 2000 from not long ago, tell me
   I don't.
   My motherboard's a 4.5 (bought the last 2000 they had at WOC Valley
   Forge...), and I don't think the 4.5's ever shipped w/a super agnus.
   Maybe they sold me a used one that somebody had put the Agnus into...

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/15/89)

In Message <11981@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:

>O.k... o.k...  I'll take the liberty to stuff this short ECS chip set test
>into my posting.  This was posted on my BBS and checks the existence of
>both the Super Agnus and the New Denise.  Source and executable included.

 (disclaimer on)
 I havent had time to look at the source code yet...
 (disclaimer off)

 But when I run this utility on heimat is says:

Enhanced Chipset (ECS) Detector Program, June '89
Full Public Domain - Do What You Will

Hardware Present:
  Super Agnus Chip (NTCS)
  Normal Denise Chip

Operating System is -Unaware- of the Presence of the Super Agnus Chip

 I beg to differ because:

  #1> I have the ECS (including Denise) (bought through CATS and the
      comercial developer program)

  #2> If I use the Avail command it shows 809648 Chip and 4555176 Fast, so
      im not sure how the Operating System could be -Unaware- of the Agnus

  (The bottom line)
  This is a great idea however it does not seem to work correctly for me.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (11/16/89)

In article <9932.AA9932@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
   >In Message <11981@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
   >>O.k... o.k...  I'll take the liberty to stuff this short ECS chip set test
   >>into my posting.  This was posted on my BBS and checks the existence of
   >>both the Super Agnus and the New Denise.  Source and executable included.
   >
   > (<Sneakers'> disclaimer on)
   > I havent had time to look at the source code yet...
   > (disclaimer off)

I have and my old 1.0 RKMs didn't explain to my satisfaction what
Jeff (the author, not poster) was doing to determine the Agnus chip.

   >  Super Agnus Chip (NTCS)
   >  Normal Denise Chip
   >
   >Operating System is -Unaware- of the Presence of the Super Agnus Chip
   >
   > I beg to differ because:
   >  (The bottom line)
   >  This is a great idea however it does not seem to work correctly for me.

And it doesn't work for me on my old(?) A1000.  It says I have a PAL Agnus.
Fat chance!  I bought this bugger way back, well, 4-years ago today I do
believe, and I don't believe that CBM had PAL chips ready then!  As for the
`Normal Denise Chip' I couldn't find the offset that Jeff used to determine
that boolean (normal or new Denise chip).

Manx's SDB says that DFF004h (the mem location for the Agnus chip test
PAL/NTSC/etc) reads 8000h.

I'd say "lay off this program" 'til someone with a tad bit more expertise
can check it out.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) (11/17/89)

this will now work b'cause there must be a mod to the mother board with a 501
 Expansion Card to get 1 meg of CHIP Ram. The unfortunate side affect is that the 500 after the mod will not work WITHOUT the expansion card....

  ( this info was gleaned from the latest issue of Amiga World )

  adam hill

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/18/89)

In article <9932.AA9932@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
:Hardware Present:
:  Super Agnus Chip (NTCS)
:  Normal Denise Chip
:Operating System is -Unaware- of the Presence of the Super Agnus Chip
: I beg to differ because:
:  #2: If I use the Avail command it shows 809648 Chip and 4555176 Fast, so
:      im not sure how the Operating System could be -Unaware- of the Agnus

You really should have looked at the source code - it takes only 2 minutes.

Actually, the last line should be "graphics.library is -Unaware- of the
presence of the 1-meg Agnus Chip".  Remember, there is a lot more to the
new Agnus than just accessing more chip ram.  For instance, it is no
longer limited to 1024x1024 pixel blits.  The new Agnus can do a 32Kx32K
blit, but you need a newer graphics.library to take advantage of that.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (11/19/89)

In article <810@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> In article <9932.AA9932@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> :Hardware Present:
> :  Super Agnus Chip (NTCS)
> :  Normal Denise Chip
> :Operating System is -Unaware- of the Presence of the Super Agnus Chip
> : I beg to differ because:
> :  #2: If I use the Avail command it shows 809648 Chip and 4555176 Fast, so
> :      im not sure how the Operating System could be -Unaware- of the Agnus
>
> You really should have looked at the source code - it takes only 2 minutes.
>
> Actually, the last line should be "graphics.library is -Unaware- of the
> presence of the 1-meg Agnus Chip".  Remember, there is a lot more to the
> new Agnus than just accessing more chip ram.  For instance, it is no
> longer limited to 1024x1024 pixel blits.  The new Agnus can do a 32Kx32K
> blit, but you need a newer graphics.library to take advantage of that.
> --
> Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
> McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
> PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
> San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (11/19/89)

G'day from down under,

In article <810@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> In article <9932.AA9932@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein)
> writes:
.
. [the context does not lead to my question]
.
> longer limited to 1024x1024 pixel blits.  The new Agnus can do a 32Kx32K
> blit, but you need a newer graphics.library to take advantage of that.
> --
> Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
> McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
> PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
> San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

Excuse me but you did say 32Kx32K for a blit op no? How is this so, I mean why
is such a large blit capacity offerred? Am I correct in my interpretation that
1 Giga pixels may be operated on by the blitter at one time? How is this abil-
ity expected to be used?

My my, these are only questions here...and nary a byte added to the signal of
this discussion.  My apologies to all but I really do not understand what the
new Agnus chip will be capable of doing with this feature.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo (alias Anjin_San)
Gratuitous Paul Hoganism: "Toss another Mac on the barbie will ya..."

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/21/89)

In Message <810@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <9932.AA9932@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>:Hardware Present:
>:  Super Agnus Chip (NTCS)
>:  Normal Denise Chip
>:Operating System is -Unaware- of the Presence of the Super Agnus Chip
>: I beg to differ because:
>:  #2: If I use the Avail command it shows 809648 Chip and 4555176 Fast, so
>:      im not sure how the Operating System could be -Unaware- of the Agnus
>
>Actually, the last line should be "graphics.library is -Unaware- of the
>presence of the 1-meg Agnus Chip".  Remember, there is a lot more to the
>new Agnus than just accessing more chip ram.  For instance, it is no

 Duh.... I tested Alpha 16 (36.3) of 1.4 and this is the latest I have. Also
 the fact that it listed my Denise chip as not being the new version makes me
 decide to pass on this utility. (Just my own $.02)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/21/89)

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

>Excuse me but you did say 32Kx32K for a blit op no? How is this so, I mean why
>is such a large blit capacity offerred? Am I correct in my interpretation that
>1 Giga pixels may be operated on by the blitter at one time? How is this abil-
>ity expected to be used?

OK, 1 Giga pixels would be too much for use on a display, but when you
try too render for high resolution devices (i.e. photo typesetting)
you get up to 10k x 10k pixels on a page. And even a usual laser printer
with 300 dpi offers 3k x 4k pixels. That exceeds the limits of the old
Agnus.
Thanks those who wrote the printer.device, it can handle large bitplanes.
Now (with a new graphics.library) we can easily render it using system
code and blitter speed. Unfortunately, I don't think that we can emulate
these capabilities with the older Agnus.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (11/23/89)

>U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:
>
>>Excuse me but you did say 32Kx32K for a blit op no? How is this so, I mean why
>>is such a large blit capacity offerred? Am I correct in my interpretation that
>>1 Giga pixels may be operated on by the blitter at one time? How is this abil-
>>ity expected to be used?
>
>OK, 1 Giga pixels would be too much for use on a display, but when you
>try too render for high resolution devices (i.e. photo typesetting)
>you get up to 10k x 10k pixels on a page. And even a usual laser printer
>with 300 dpi offers 3k x 4k pixels. That exceeds the limits of the old
>Agnus.
>Thanks those who wrote the printer.device, it can handle large bitplanes.
>Now (with a new graphics.library) we can easily render it using system
>code and blitter speed. Unfortunately, I don't think that we can emulate
>these capabilities with the older Agnus.

Probably the best use of the new blit size is in placing screen bit planes
side by side instead of vertically in memory.  Using this scheme it will be
possible to scroll screens without any noticeable colour separation, and
without duplicate buffering the screen.  (Magical isn't it?  Of course the
font library will have to be updated to support modulo 4096 lines, and to
find horizontally separated bitplanes correctly...)

My question for 1.4?  Has this already been implemented for the default
boot screen?  If not, will it be supported in any manner for 1.4?
-ss