[comp.sys.amiga] Leaving the lights on

benji@pnet01.cts.com (Brad Pennock) (11/19/89)

There has been alot of talk about leaving your Ami on 24 hours a day to help
extend its life, a very persuasive argument I might add.  What I am wondering
is what do I do about my 1084S monitor?  Should I leave it on too (have the
screen blanked of course)?  Some friends told me that turning the monitor on
and off while my 500 is running will send a surge through the video port that
is also detrimental to the computer.  Does leaving the monitor on all the time
increase its life as would leaving my computer on all the time?  Thanks!

      | _
   ---*(_) Brad A. Pennock
      |    SDSU Aerospace Engineering Undergrad & Future Astronaut
           Amiga computer junkie too! "Wanna fly Falcon? I dare ya!"

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!benji
ARPA: crash!pnet01!benji@nosc.mil
INET: benji@pnet01.cts.com
HOME: 4660 Oregon St.#5, San Diego, CA 92116, Earth

In article <727@crash.cts.com> benji@pnet01.cts.com (Brad Pennock) writes:
>is what do I do about my 1084S monitor?  Should I leave it on too (have the
>screen blanked of course)?  Some friends told me that turning the monitor on
>and off while my 500 is running will send a surge through the video port that

I don't know why, but my A1000 has crashed (on more than 1 occasion)
when I have powercycled my A1080. I don't know if it crashed
when I turned in off or back on though.

So I would say, yes it is detrimental.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/23/89)

In article <5434@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
|[...]
|I don't know why, but my A1000 has crashed (on more than 1 occasion)
|when I have powercycled my A1080. I don't know if it crashed
|when I turned in off or back on though.
|
|So I would say, yes it is detrimental.

	Odd. I turn off my 1080 monitor regularly to
	save wear'n'tear on the CRT. I never have had
	any effect that I noticed on my A1000. Perhaps
	you have an AC power problem of some sort?

Cheers,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu