[comp.sys.amiga] wishful? I want to write an amiga disk on a SPARCstation

toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) (11/23/89)

myb100@csc.anu.oz writes:

>I'd like to know about this too - kermiting takes a _long_ time and is
>not CPU friendly. Also, how do you write the 720k disks in the first place ?
>Using a CrossDos type of program on both machines ?

I read them using the crossdos demo. The ones I've used I've formated on
the amiga using PCpatch from a fish disk (this is a program that patches
the CBM utilities for writing 5 1/4 inch IBM floppies to use the normal
amiga floppy drive).

Reading and writing on the SPARCstation was done using something called
mdtools which I think are from comp.sources.unix. They allow a unix system
to read and write IBM flopies (if they have a drive of course).
--
	Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz

myb100@csc.anu.oz (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov22.185304.23611@athena.mit.edu>, chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) writes:
> In article <1989Nov22.015959.1279@uniwa.uwa.oz> toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) writes:
>
>>I've had no problem with writing 720k disks on a SPARCstation for reading
>>on the amiga. I did originally format them on the amiga.
>>--
>>	Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz
>
> I didn't know the amiga could read 720k disks.  Do you have a special
> drive?  Did you have to use any special software?

I'd like to know about this too - kermiting takes a _long_ time and is
not CPU friendly. Also, how do you write the 720k disks in the first place ?
Using a CrossDos type of program on both machines ?

> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Send email and save bandwidth!

              ^^^^ ditto

NO - don't consider it wasted badwidth, there is at least one other interested
person out here.

> Adam Kao
> chekmate@athena.mit.edu

Markus Buchhorn
Mt Stromlo Observatory, Canberra, Australia
markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus