[comp.sys.amiga] wild copper demo

waynet%mongo@Sun.COM (Wayne Thompson) (11/12/89)

I am both amazed and appalled by this demo. Technically it is superb, however
the content renders it more than useless as an advertisment for my favorite
machine. The music is great... The (I just saw an F.U.) slide bye. Why
do you feel compelled to denigrate your talents in this manner??
Have any of you seen this particular demo? It's GOOD(technically) isn't it?
But, doesn't it drag the machine that it's presented on to new depths? Is it
just me?

Wayne

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (11/15/89)

In article <127753@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> waynet%mongo@Sun.COM (Wayne Thompson) writes:
>I am both amazed and appalled by this demo. Technically it is superb, however
>the content renders it more than useless as an advertisment for my favorite
>machine. The music is great... The (I just saw an F.U.) slide bye. Why
>do you feel compelled to denigrate your talents in this manner??
>Have any of you seen this particular demo? It's GOOD(technically) isn't it?
>But, doesn't it drag the machine that it's presented on to new depths? Is it
>just me?
>
>Wayne

Yes, this is a MARVELOUS demo.  It used to be one of my favorite ones to leave
running on the Amiga when I was with Software Etc.

How did I get away with using it?

Just increast the hight of the screen (via the screw on the monitor) until you
can't see the bottom.

Kludgy...yea. But I really love showing that off.
Did you know that if you let it run all the way (like 15 min or so) it get's
to an "interactive mode" where you can que through the various shapes and control their rotation on all three axis?

PD

--
My other .sig is a Porsche.  Boongawa.

wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (11/19/89)

Hello,
to be sure that we are talking about the same demo,
is it the one with the music going "I LOVE YOU" ?
because I have a wild copper demo that sounds like what several people
have discribed it to be. It has a star field coming at you, vector
traced messages .(first a question mark, the the wild copper logo, then
a few little pictures, like floppy disks , houses etc).
 and underneath there is a little scrolling message.

But here is the problem . Are there 2 versions ? the version I have has the
message way under the screen (like a lot of amiga demos written on pal machine
).

if it is the same demo, then , well, i have seen much better by some other
groups with some better music.

one of the best if you can get it is Fairlight/northstar megademo III.
(2 disks .) it has excellent graphics and excellent music.
a "must have at any cost"

				D.W

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (11/20/89)

I've got two demo's by Wild Copper and they are pretty good, but not as good
as the stuff that a group of programmer's calling themselves
Fairlight/Northstar crank out.  Not only do they amaze you with each new
demo, but their art is SUPERB.  I just saw Mark Riley's and two other guy's
entry to the Badge Killer Demo contest and I had to laugh.  The Europeans
were doing that stuff two years ago.  Now they do wild twisting effects,
shadowing, and things you'd never thought possible.  Really amazing stuff if
you can get your hands on it.  I wish that they would do a formal entry to
the BKDC.

GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET (11/20/89)

In article <6571@merlin.usc.edu>, wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) says:

>But here is the problem . Are there 2 versions ? the version I have has the
>message way under the screen (like a lot of amiga demos written on pal machine

There is a trick that they use to do that.  They use the copper (of course) to
get graphics below 255 vertical lines.  Actually in the NorthStar/Fairlight
megademo II (2) they tell you how to do it (i.e. what you have to add to the
end of your copper list to get that to work).  I'm not quite sure how you go
about viewing it though - would PAL help?

>one of the best if you can get it is Fairlight/northstar megademo III.
>(2 disks .) it has excellent graphics and excellent music.
>a "must have at any cost"
>
>                                D.W

Say, where did  you come by version III?  I imagine it's gotta be incredible
due to the fact that II is almost 2 years old now, and it is still a mind
blower.

     --Dominic

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (11/21/89)

We're up to 40 grand. Unbelievable. Shows you how  much  activity  we're
having. Does anyone know when comp.sys.amiga was started?

--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (11/21/89)

In article <89324.090503GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET> GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET writes:
>In article <6571@merlin.usc.edu>, wdao@castor.usc.edu (Walter Dao) says:
>>
>>But here is the problem . Are there 2 versions ? the version I have has the
>>message way under the screen (like a lot of amiga demos written on pal machine
>>
>There is a trick that they use to do that.  They use the copper (of course) to
>get graphics below 255 vertical lines.  Actually in the NorthStar/Fairlight
>megademo II (2) they tell you how to do it (i.e. what you have to add to the
>end of your copper list to get that to work).  I'm not quite sure how you go
>about viewing it though - would PAL help?

Yes PAL helps a lot....

>>one of the best if you can get it is Fairlight/northstar megademo III.
>>(2 disks .) it has excellent graphics and excellent music.
>>a "must have at any cost"
>>
>>                                D.W
>>
>Say, where did  you come by version III?  I imagine it's gotta be incredible
>due to the fact that II is almost 2 years old now, and it is still a mind
>blower.
>
>     --Dominic

Well I get them directly from one of the members in northstar
And they are good...

But have anyone seen RedSector megademo it is even more
amazing.

				Karl

<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
< Karl 'Kalle' Hultland    <$>                                               >
< Dept. of Comp. sci.      <$> d87-khd@sm.luth.se |                          >
< University of Lulea      <$> {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd     >
< Sweden                   <$>                                               >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
<      If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov20.041336.29604@i-core.UUCP> pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:
> I've got two demo's by Wild Copper and they are pretty good, but not
> as good as the stuff that a group of programmer's calling themselves
> Fairlight/Northstar crank out.

Or Ian-N-Mic...

> Not only do they amaze you with each new demo, but their art is
> SUPERB. ...Now they do wild twisting effects, shadowing, and things
> you'd never thought possible.  Really amazing stuff if you can get
> your hands on it.

Yeah, it's some great stuff.  Not just the graphics, but they have
good music as well...

If ``warp'' would read the disks, they would be available via ftp from
xanth, but I can't make a working .WRP from the disks (however,
diskcopy has no trouble copying the disks).

So, why can diskcopy duplicate the disk ok but WARP cannot?

	...tad

In article <2177@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:
> We're up to 40 grand. Unbelievable. Shows you how  much  activity  we're
> having. Does anyone know when comp.sys.amiga was started?

The article number in a newsgroup is host specific.
Your system administrator may know when you first began receiving c.s.a.

	...tad

warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) (11/22/89)

Could someone who has these demos send them to Bob
Page so that the rest of us can be amazed?

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/23/89)

pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:

|I've got two demo's by Wild Copper and they are pretty good, but not as good
|as the stuff that a group of programmer's calling themselves

[etc]

Quit teasing us, and post the things!
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (11/23/89)

Well I could send some of them.....
But how?
I have heard something about a 64k limit in email. I once sent a LARGE
zoo file via mail,but I don't like to do it again. ( it took so long
to split the .zuu file in several parts )

BTW. Do anyone know of/have the source to a unix command that does the split,
or is there a standard command to do that.

						Karl

<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
< Karl 'Kalle' Hultland    <$>                                               >
< Dept. of Comp. sci.      <$> d87-khd@sm.luth.se |                          >
< University of Lulea      <$> {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd     >
< Sweden                   <$>                                               >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
<      If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>

d88-jgn@sm.luth.se (d88-jgn) (11/24/89)

There's a secret message in the vector-graphics demo by the Wild
Copper crew. The demo where a female voice keep saying  "I love you".
If you press 'r' and then 'v' (still holding 'r' down) the scrolltext
will be replaced by a "little" flame...

|     Joakim Gran	|   The only good Humie'z a dead Humie. The only      |
| (d88-jgn@sm.luth.se)	|   thing better'n a dead Humie'z a dyin' Humie who   |
| 			|   tells yer where ter find 'is mates.               |
| From the northen part	|                                                     |
|     of Sweden.     	|                      .Morglum Necksnapper           |