[comp.sys.amiga] New newsgroup hierarchy

mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mike Shawaluk) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov24.072732.5206@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>We didn't do it for MSDOS or the Amiga or any of the other operating
>>systems, and this somehow hasn't caused any major problems, even though
>>the groups concerned with those systems are among the busiest on Usenet.
>>Why on Earth should we do it for VMS?
>Because, as several others have pointed out, VMSNET is _not just_
>a set of groups about VMS. It's also --- and this is very important ---
>a hierarchy controlled by DECUS' VMSNET group. This means it will
>_never_ be a part of the Usenet, in that it won't have the Usenet
>style, won't follow Usenet voting conventions, won't necessarily
>uphold the "no commercial speech" rules, etc.

As long as we're on the subject, and because I'm an Amiga owner, I noticed
that there are one or two Amiga-related newsgroups under VMSNET.  Thus, these
groups are sort of parallel existances of comp.sys.amiga.* (except that in my
recent reading, they seem to be a bit off the beaten path, since many if not
most of the posters there don't get comp.*).  Since my main site doesn't
(currently) get vmsnet.*, I don't see this material very regularly, but it
seems to me that creating an alternate news hierarchy shouldn't duplicate
existing newsgroups that aren't related to that hierarchy's purpose or scope.
That is, if there were a specific class of issues that dealt with the Amiga
and VAX/VMS systems, then maybe it would be okay to have one or more Amiga
groups under VMSNET.  But to me, it just looks like most of the posters only
have BITNET access (i.e., no Internet), and so they're in an isolated
subspace.  And with the (lack of) acceptance of VMSNET, it seems that they
will stay there.
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
"Rarely have we seen a mailer  ->  DOMAIN: mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com