[comp.sys.amiga] Digiview

macdonald@dickns.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- CUP/ML -- DTN 223-3439) (12/12/87)

> I recently obtained an Amiga 2000 and one of the first items I bought for it was Digi
> View. However, when I got it the other night it said to just connect Digi-View to
> the parallel port which is a female connector just as Digi-View's. I had a male to
> male cable laying around and so I tried it, but I kept getting a Video source not
> present error. I'm sure that someone out there in netland must have gotten
> Digi-View to work on the 2000 so could you please help me. Is something other than
> a male-to-male connector needed? Is it possible that the length of the cord was
> long enough that Digi-View couldn't handle it? Or are there other changes to be
> made or is a new version of Digi-View out. I may have missed this topic since
> I had not been a regular reader, but if someone could please email me the solution
> I would be very appreciative. Please email also cause our net feed seems to be
> somewhat flaky at the moment. Thanks for any help.
>       Bill Dwyer

The error message you report is merely letting you know that you do not have
a video camera or other signal source connected to your DigiView interface.
You can have DigiView connected properly to your Amiga, but you'll still
receive the aforementioned error message if you invoke DigiView without
a video signal source connected to the interface.

The current version of DigiView is 2.0.

Paul

golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) (04/25/89)

In article <13852@louie.udel.EDU> joe@bryans.scc.com writes:
>words, after converting a GIF to IP with this file, you can import it into
                                  ^^                         ^^^^^^
>Digi-View (NOTE: Not Digi-Paint, but Digi-View the software used with the
>digitizer) and render it such as if you had just digitized a picture. Then

Okay, I know how to save RGB & IP files, and I can load RGB files, but
I've never figured out how to load in an IP file with DigiView.  I've
been using the Framegrabber, and wanted to manipulate the image using my
old (well, 3.0) DigiView software.  I have been saving the image as an
IP file to maintain the most color information, and after hours of
trying, I really don't think that DigiView can load even the IP files it
saves itself.

                                  Please tell me I'm wrong...

                                        Mike Golden

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (04/27/89)

In article <2711@cps3xx.UUCP>, golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) writes:
>In article <13852@louie.udel.EDU> joe@bryans.scc.com writes:
>>words, after converting a GIF to IP with this file, you can import it into
>                                  ^^                         ^^^^^^
>>Digi-View (NOTE: Not Digi-Paint, but Digi-View the software used with the
>>digitizer) and render it such as if you had just digitized a picture. Then
>
>Okay, I know how to save RGB & IP files, and I can load RGB files, but
>I've never figured out how to load in an IP file with DigiView.  I've
>been using the Framegrabber, and wanted to manipulate the image using my
>old (well, 3.0) DigiView software.  I have been saving the image as an
>IP file to maintain the most color information, and after hours of
>trying, I really don't think that DigiView can load even the IP files it
>saves itself.
>
>                                  Please tell me I'm wrong...
>
>                                        Mike Golden

I have the same problem, (PP&S Framegrabber) and I have grabbed many frames
in all kinds of different resolutions,  Picked Save IP from its menu, wait
for picture to get to my hard disk, fire up Digiview 3.0 say load same file
and _nothing_ happens.  I wonder if this is really supposed to work?

"Do you have any Venezualan Beaver cheese?"  -- The Cheese Shop, Monty Python
       I've often wondered why no one makes cheese from cat's milk?

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (11/25/89)

I've had a digiview for a long time now, and followed it through a few
revisions of it's software.  But ever since the beginning, I've been
bothered by a problem:

Setup:   A1000 w/1.5 megs, no HB, 68010

I don't own a camera, but I've used about 6, ranging mostly from sony
camcorders (home -> low end industrial), a few hitachi's too.  Never
a black and white on my digitizer (used it though).

My problem is that I set everything up square, on a home made copy-stand,
and digitize a test pattern.  Just squares and circles to set the aspects
up correctly for the camera I'm using.  But even though everything's square,
the digitization comes up at a 2 to 3 degree angle.  This is trouble, because
I usualy need to digitize B+W line-art, and I can't have one end of it
a pixel higher than the other end.

In the beginning, I tried compensating with the perspective tool in DpaintIII,
with anti-alias set to medium, or high, and a 1 degree angle of rotation.

While this worked, it wasn't satisfactory, because I lost plenty of detail.

I have created a widget at a bit of an angle, to mount papers against,
but it can slip, and the rotation seems to change with different cameras
just a tiny fraction.

Question:

Why does this happen?  Is it a problem associated only with the older
digi-views?  Or is it my choice in cameras?  Can the problem be corrected?

Would I be better off to go and buy a Digiview Gold, and the gender bender
thing?  Or will the bender create a loss in quality (I heard a rumor to that
effect).  Finally, are the new Digiviews really 'THAT' much better than my
older model?

Thanks for your time.

Paul Sop