[comp.sys.amiga] Trouble with Mv

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/18/89)

I just picked up the Mv program from uihub (out of the fish libraries).
"Great," I thought, "I'll finally have a decent mv command for amy!"  Read
the docs; it's a cleverly designed multi-functional program.  The docs
stated that if you managed to get it to guru, let Mr. Hoogerbeets (sp?) know.
Well, the first time I ran the sucker, I tried to do this:

	mv mv bin:

where 'mv' is in the current directory on dh2:, and bin: is assign'd to be
dh0:bin.   Sure enough, on the first and subsequent tries, I got the guru.
Arrggh!!  Mr.  Hoogerbeets, I know you're out there somewhere;  I've seen
your name on the net before.  Have you fixed this bug?  Is there a later
version??  I really don't have time to fix the code myself!

This program is too cool to be useless...  Especially since the AmigaDOS
rename program is such a joke...

Sigh.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (11/20/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 18-Nov-89 Trouble with Mv Jeff
> Bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE (1131)

> I just picked up the Mv program from uihub (out of the fish libraries).
> "Great," I thought, "I'll finally have a decent mv command for amy!"
> Read

There's an excellent MV program that comes with ARP 1.3.  I've had no
problems with it.

w-edwinh@microsoft.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (11/21/89)

In article <8911180001.AA12505@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
> mv mv bin:
>Sure enough, on the first and subsequent tries, I got the guru.

Version 1.0 had stack problems, which I didn't notice since I program
with a stack of 16K. This has been fixed in version 1.1 (fish 219).
You could get the newer version or just bump your stack up a bit...

Version 1.2 is the latest version. Compiles under both Lattice
and Manx, bunch of new features and is slightly smaller. I can mail it
to anyone who wants it.

Version 1.3 is being worked on. It will have delayed write, for single
floppy users. It will be some time in the making, however, seeing as I
don't have my Ami with me for the term, and I am programming with an
"AmigaDOS emulation" package for unix. 8-)

Edwin

alh@hprnd.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (11/23/89)

> I just picked up the Mv program from uihub (out of the fish libraries).
> "Great," I thought, "I'll finally have a decent mv command for amy!"  Read

The ARP 1.3 'move' command works great.  It suports "*" and will move across
different disks (unlike C-Shell's 'mv').

---
   Al Harrington
      ARPA: alh@hprmo.HP.COM
      UUCP: ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh

      ** My comments do not reflect the views of my employer **

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/27/89)

> Hi, I use mv/cp/rm all the time and have not experienced the problem you
> mentioned. Is this the only test you ran (mv mv bin:)? I suspect that you
> may have discovered some very subtle bug involving "deletion of self".

No; the test I ran (the one causing trouble, anyway) is that of moving a
file into a directory on another volume.  This is what gurus, every time.
Unfortunately, I seem to do a lot of these kind of mv's in UNIX, so I'd
probably end up guruing (sp?) my Amiga unwittingly all too frequently.

Assume:
	bin:	==	dh0:bin		(dir)
	mv (file) is in the current directory, on dh2:
Then:
	mv mv bin:	(use mv to move itself to another directory)
	<<< GURU >>>

	[ colorful description of enraged user deleted ]

That was the situation I was trying to convey.  By the way Mark, thank's for
authoring MRBackup.  It is wonderful, although, as you say, kinda slow.

	Jeff