[comp.sys.amiga] Constructive Mischief

plouff@levers.enet.dec.com (11/23/89)

Some recent postings here have lamented the lack of general recognition
for the Amiga name.  Some others have suggested taking part in Apple's
'Test Drive' program with the express intent of returning the systems,
thereby distorting the program's effectiveness.  This got me to
thinking...

Browse through almost any large-circulation computer or technical
magazine, and there will be the latest yuppie treats, offers of free
demo disks.  I see something I'd like for the Amiga about once every
week or two, only to be confronted with the depressing choice of

	[ ] IBM PC 5-1/4"  [ ] IBM PC 3-1/2"  [ ] Macintosh 800K

Some recent examples are automobile 'test drive' demos, image processing
software and (yeah, the guy's got no taste) free starter kits for
Prodigy.  Lately I've started sending the postage paid cards back with
the choice

	[X] Amiga 3-1/2"

penned in.

Nobody has called back yet, but when they do, they will hear things
like, "Amiga has such good graphics performance, I'm surprised it wasn't
your first or second choice," or, "such cost effective performance," or,
"such a flexible environment..."  You get the idea.

So I am advocating that readers of this newsgroup do the same.  Send
back cards and coupons for demos of things you would really buy for the
Amiga, or for yourself, with choice of disk format marked as Amiga.
Then reply to "We don't support that computer" statements with mild
disbelief that the people who are trying to sell you something could
overlook such an obvious choice.

Who knows?  A little positive action may go a long way in creating the
appearance of a vital Amiga community worth spending advertising dollars
to woo.  And in advertising, appearance is reality.

Wes Plouff
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%levers.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

LadyHawke@cup.portal.com (Classic - Concepts) (11/24/89)

   Well, I vote 3 thumbs down on the idea of exploiting the Mac try-out
program with no intent to buy and planning to take the machine back.
People's ethics (or lack thereof) continue to amaze me.
   However, the types of things you suggest (and which I've been doing for
sometime), I don't consider mischief at all--such as filling in the name
of my system (AMIGA) on surveys, questionnaires, reader service inquiries,
registration cards, etc.  I also make a point to ASK for Amiga products
when I visit stores that don't seem to have any.  Either I'm pleasantly
(or unpleasantly) surprised when they get pulled out of a dark corner, or
at least the store KNOWS there are Amiga customers coming in and being
disappointed and going away again without purchasing.
   And better yet, writing to Editors (did you see the line-up in Computer
Graphics World--completely devoted to the Amiga on the editor's page?)
and insisting that they have a responsibility to provide information relating
to your system--especially graphics magazines.  And then make sure the
information is correct (both yours and theirs).  We have a right to accurate
reporting, too.

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (11/28/89)

In article <24430@cup.portal.com> LadyHawke@cup.portal.com (Classic -
Concepts) writes:
>    Well, I vote 3 thumbs down on the idea of exploiting the Mac try-out
> program with no intent to buy and planning to take the machine back.
> People's ethics (or lack thereof) continue to amaze me.

Plus, consider the situation from the other point of view.  What would
happen if a bunch of Macintosh people started calling Commodore's 800
number and ordering Amiga information?  It seems to me that Commodore
would end up the loser in this kind of stunt.