[comp.sys.amiga] A590 on A1000?

In <7488@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
>A while back we had a series of postings where people who had gotten A590
>hard disks working on their A1000.   Could someone who's done this please
>send details?  Thanks.

Details: Plug it in (see note 1). Enjoy.

Note 1: You may have to modify the plastic opening over the expansion connector
on the A1000. You will have to povide support for the unit so it doesn't try to
rip the expansion connector off.

-larry

--
My name is OS/2, Mandius, Kludge of Kludges.
Look upon my works, ye CS majors, and gag.

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (11/18/89)

In <3256@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <810@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <7488@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
>>>A while back we had a series of postings where people who had gotten A590
>>>hard disks working on their A1000.   Could someone who's done this please
>>>send details?  Thanks.
>>
>>Details: Plug it in (see note 1). Enjoy.
>
>What about other A500 hard drives?  Like Supra or GVP?

Not familiar with these units, so I can't say for sure that they will work. If
they are properly designed, they will.

>I don't want to buy a cheezy 20 meg ST506 drive with my controller.
>I want a reasonably priced SCSI box that works on a 1000 and either
>comes with a decent imbedded SCSI drive, or else comes sans drive.

Well, you can call it cheesy if you want, thogh you might bear in mind that the
drive is not welded into place in this unit, and can be replaced with any 3.5"
SCSI drive you choose. It also has provision for 2 megs of memory. It is also
likely to be faster than the others. Pretty cheesy alright.

-larry

--

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (11/20/89)

In article <7488@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
> A while back we had a series of postings where people who had gotten A590
> hard disks working on their A1000.   Could someone who's done this please
> send details?  Thanks.

In a nutshell, here are the steps I followed to get my A590 to
work on my A1000:
  1)  Ground the PALs.  (May not be necessary.  It was for me, tho.)
  2) a. Unpack the A590
     b. Plug it in (backwards, of course, so you can see the
        configuration switches).
At this point, I kicked with 1.3 kickstart, and after a few
seconds, the A1000 booted from the A590 with 1.3.2.  It whines
a little, but so what.  It also floats about an inch high in the
air because the expansion connector on the A1000 is higher than
the one on the A500, so you may want to put something useless
under the A590.  A couple of Byte magazines should do nicely.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (11/21/89)

In article <810@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <7488@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
>>A while back we had a series of postings where people who had gotten A590
>>hard disks working on their A1000.   Could someone who's done this please
>>send details?  Thanks.
>
>Details: Plug it in (see note 1). Enjoy.

What about other A500 hard drives?  Like Supra or GVP?

I don't want to buy a cheezy 20 meg ST506 drive with my controller.
I want a reasonably priced SCSI box that works on a 1000 and either
comes with a decent imbedded SCSI drive, or else comes sans drive.

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (11/27/89)

In article <822@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3256@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
>>I don't want to buy a cheezy 20 meg ST506 drive with my controller.
>>I want a reasonably priced SCSI box that works on a 1000 and either
>>comes with a decent imbedded SCSI drive, or else comes sans drive.
>
>Well, you can call it cheesy if you want, thogh you might bear in mind that the
>drive is not welded into place in this unit, and can be replaced with any 3.5"
>SCSI drive you choose.

Why should I have to buy it if I don't want it?

>It also has provision for 2 megs of memory.

So do other controllers.  I like the controller.  I just want a better drive.

>It is also
>likely to be faster than the others. Pretty cheesy alright.

Show me some disk-perf results and I might believe you (even though I still
don't want the drive; 20 megs is just too small).  ST506 is slower than
SCSI most of the time.  I want > ST506 performance.  Why?  Because it is
available and affordable now.

Maybe cheesy was a strong word.  But maybe I don't want to be forced to
buy a drive that is below the standards I desire.  I pay the bucks; do my
desires count?

When I buy a new car I have the option of buying it without the manufacturer's
installed radio.  That's good, because I would rather install one of my own
choosing.  The one I choose will be superior to the manufacturer's, which
might be a decent radio in its own right.  But if they tried to force me to
buy theirs, I might call it cheesy in the midst of the discussion ;^).

Commodore makes a fine controller.  But I don't want to buy a drive that I
don't intend to use.  And I need the space inside the box for the drive
that I want to use with the controller.

In <3439@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <822@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <3256@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
>>> [ comments about the 'cheesy drive' in the A590 ]
>>  [ comments about replacing it with something better ]
>
>Why should I have to buy it if I don't want it?

Your choice.  You buy it or you don't.  It comes with a drive, which is CBM's
choice, so if you find that particularly offensive, you can excercise your
choice to buy another brand.

>>It also has provision for 2 megs of memory.
>
>So do other controllers.  I like the controller.  I just want a better drive.

Considering that the host adapter is probably one of the most significant
factors in a hard drive purchase, you may want to consider the alternatives.

>>It is also
>>likely to be faster than the others. Pretty cheesy alright.
>
>Show me some disk-perf results and I might believe you (even though I still
>don't want the drive; 20 megs is just too small).  ST506 is slower than
>SCSI most of the time.  I want > ST506 performance.  Why?  Because it is
>available and affordable now.

Some ST506 drives are slower than some SCSI drives. In fact, some SCSI drives
are just ST506 drives with a built-in controller. I agree about the size, but
read on...

>Maybe cheesy was a strong word.  But maybe I don't want to be forced to
>buy a drive that is below the standards I desire.  I pay the bucks; do my
>desires count?

Yes, your desires do count. They do not count in the case where the product is
not available in a particular configuration. I asked GVP if their '030
accelerator card was available without memory installed. The answer was a firm
'no'.  I guess I could complain on the nets about it, but it's their business,
and their choice.  I make the decision based upon the product as it can be
bought.

>When I buy a new car I have the option of buying it without the manufacturer's
>installed radio.  That's good, because I would rather install one of my own
>choosing.  The one I choose will be superior to the manufacturer's, which
>might be a decent radio in its own right.  But if they tried to force me to
>buy theirs, I might call it cheesy in the midst of the discussion ;^).

Sure, but do you have the option of purchasing it without the manufacturer's
wheels, seats, windshield, motor? It's hard to see how a windshield might have
a third party counterpart that's better, but it isn't too tough to imagine
having a better engine. Manufacturers sell packaged solutions, and you make
your choice.

>Commodore makes a fine controller.  But I don't want to buy a drive that I
>don't intend to use.  And I need the space inside the box for the drive
>that I want to use with the controller.

Couple things.... have you talked to your dealer? We have a dealer here locally
who is quite willing to sell the A590 with any 3.5" drive that you care to
name, as long as it will work. He sets a price, you choose. The drive that
comes with the A590 is figured as being like a trade-in (of a brand new drive).

Have you considered selling the drive that comes with it?

These are valid, reasonable choices in the face of the facts. If the
only configuration available is not to your liking, you do something about it
or take your business elsewhere.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -