[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Weather WorkStation

ted.davis@canremote.uucp (TED DAVIS) (11/17/89)

 The TV station which employs me requires a low-end workstation that
would be devoted to our Weathercast. The system ideally would be tied in
to a weather service with auto downloading of weather info. It hould
incorporate a  map generating facility as well as paint and animation.
Since it will be used by non-techinical people it should be simple and
straight-forward. My investigations have turned up a turnkey product

called WEATHERCONNECT which is mentioned in the v1.4 of AmigoTimes.
Unfortunately it would seem this company is either extinct or in court
trying to determine the rights to the product.
Does anyone know of some product or combination of products that would
serve these purposes. The Amiga will not be online but will act as a
front end for our dedicated graphics systems.
I sure would like to see Ami get a toe-hold in my company as I'm
convinced once there it will prove to be the thin edge of the wedge (to
mix metaphors)
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

In article <89111703310241@masnet.uucp> ted.davis@canremote.uucp (TED DAVIS) writes:
| The TV station which employs me requires a low-end workstation that
|would be devoted to our Weathercast. The system ideally would be tied in
|to a weather service with auto downloading of weather info. It hould
|incorporate a  map generating facility as well as paint and animation.
|Since it will be used by non-techinical people it should be simple and
|straight-forward. My investigations have turned up a turnkey product
|called WEATHERCONNECT which is mentioned in the v1.4 of AmigoTimes.
|Unfortunately it would seem this company is either extinct or in court
|trying to determine the rights to the product.
|Does anyone know of some product or combination of products that would
|serve these purposes. The Amiga will not be online but will act as a
|front end for our dedicated graphics systems.
|I sure would like to see Ami get a toe-hold in my company as I'm
|convinced once there it will prove to be the thin edge of the wedge (to
|mix metaphors)

WeatherConnect, Inc. is out of business (as of last week). They used to
license my DataConnect software (used for weather satellite download,
a.k.a Digi-Weather) and Gary Bonham's MapAnim software (to generate all
the local Weather maps with clouds, jet-streams, etc).  During the summer,
WeatherConnect tried to be bough out by a much larger company here in the
southland, Comparator Systems.  The deal fell through, and now we (Felsina
and SPARTA) are in active negotiations with Comparator Systems, which will
license our products directly. Our contract with WeatherConnect was terminated
last July. SPARTA's was not, but the liquidation of WeatherConnect, Inc. makes
it a fact. Comparator intends to market an A2500-based turnkey system, pretty
much like the old one, as soon as possible. There is also talk of making an
8-bit version, using one of the newly avaliable hi-res boards.  I'll let you
know when the Amiga-based weather hardware/software becomes available again.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

bn@attcc.UUCP (11/24/89)

/* Written  3:30 pm  Nov 16, 1989 by ted.davis@canremote.uucp in attcc.UUCP:comp.s.amiga */
/* ---------- "Re: Amiga Weather WorkStation" ---------- */

 The TV station which employs me requires a low-end workstation that
would be devoted to our Weathercast. The system ideally would be tied in
to a weather service with auto downloading of weather info. It hould
incorporate a  map generating facility as well as paint and animation.
Since it will be used by non-techinical people it should be simple and
straight-forward.

[some stuff deleted]

On page 96 of my C-A 'Buyer's guide to software and accessories' that came
with my Ami it talks about a product called Digi-Weather. It says:

"Digi-Weather downloads data and images from Accu-weather service allowing
the user to access to the hourly weather updates in broadcast quality
output"

This product is available from Oxxi Inc.

Also, on page 26 in the October issue of Compute's Amiga Resource it talks
about how Accu-Weather uses the Amiga to generate weather maps and graphics
and also says that they have a complete system "available to television
stations that allows the to receive broadcast-quality weather maps, forecasts,
and weather data from Accu-Weather. Currently over 30 stations use the
service."  It goes on to state that the entire system costs "under
$10,000, which is less then a third of the cost of other systems."

I suspect that Accu-Weather uses the above product from Oxxi in their package.

Hope that this info helps.
(disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Accu-Weather or Oxxi Inc.)

Bo Najdrovsky

UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

In article <19000021@attcc.UUCP> bn@attcc.UUCP writes:
> The TV station which employs me requires a low-end workstation that
>would be devoted to our Weathercast. The system ideally would be tied in
>to a weather service with auto downloading of weather info. It hould
>incorporate a  map generating facility as well as paint and animation.
>Since it will be used by non-techinical people it should be simple and
>straight-forward.
>On page 96 of my C-A 'Buyer's guide to software and accessories' that came
>with my Ami it talks about a product called Digi-Weather. It says:
>"Digi-Weather downloads data and images from Accu-weather service allowing
>the user to access to the hourly weather updates in broadcast quality
>output"
>
>This product is available from Oxxi Inc.

Oxxi originally tried to license the product from us (and indeed we let
them show it in beta form at some AMiEXPO), but then we ended up licensing it
to WeatherConnect, Inc. of CHicago , IL, at which time the name
was changed from Digi-Weather to DataConnect.  This last product allowed
access to WSI's and ESD'd databases besides Accu-Weather.  WeatherCOnnect is
now defunct, and we are negotiationg for a new publisher (together with
SPARTA that owned the right to the Map Generation and animation portion of
the software).
Stay tuned.