[comp.sys.amiga] FAST modems / A2000 Serial Port

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (11/23/89)

[  Dear Mr. Lineeater.  There are lots of excess lines of verbiage coming out
of Congress.  I suggest that you move to Washington, D.C. in order to have
easy access to this almost unlimited source of fodder.  Of course, you will
probably get a major case of indigestion, but...]

Hello,
       someday soon, I would like to upgrade my modem to 9600 or faster.  (I
am using my A2000 as a USENET node.  Even with a very limited newsfeed, 2400
baud can be painfully slow sometimes.)  I have heard various contradictory
statements about how fast the built-in serial port can be usefully run.  I do
require multitasking to be useable, however.  (Some slowdown is acceptable, of
course.)  Since the software is, of course, critical, I will list the main
programs of interest.  These are uucico, uuPC, and (maybe) OnLine v2.1.  What
is the fastest speed that you have run these programs (under the above
conditions?)  Any comments?

                            Thanks,

--

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (11/28/89)

I believe 19.2 Kbaud is fine, but at 38.4 and 57.6 rates the serial.device
can't keep up.  The serial.device is, by all reports, going to undergo
a major streamlining in 1.4 and should no longer be a bottleneck.
I've hooked a Trailblazer up to Amy and had it work fine at 19.2,
although I didn't test it too hard.
--
	-Colin

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (11/28/89)

In article <18721@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) writes:

> I believe 19.2 Kbaud is fine, but at 38.4 and 57.6 rates the serial.device
> can't keep up.  The serial.device is, by all reports, going to undergo
> a major streamlining in 1.4 and should no longer be a bottleneck.
> I've hooked a Trailblazer up to Amy and had it work fine at 19.2,
> although I didn't test it too hard.
> --
> 	-Colin

I have been using my A1000 as a VT220 terminal (using Handshake) at
19.2 Kbps for over a year with no problems whatsoever.

mark
 hubey@pilot.njin.net  |  hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!njin!hubey

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (11/29/89)

In article <18721@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) writes:
> I believe 19.2 Kbaud is fine, but at 38.4 and 57.6 rates the serial.device
> can't keep up.  The serial.device is, by all reports, going to undergo
> a major streamlining in 1.4 and should no longer be a bottleneck.
> I've hooked a Trailblazer up to Amy and had it work fine at 19.2,
> although I didn't test it too hard.
> --
        Not owning a modem, not trusting the quality of the phone lines and
having several Mbytes worth of data to dump down to my amiga, prompted me to
bring my beastie in and plug it into MONET ( a proprietry terminal/printer/
mainframe network system here a Monash Uni ). All the downloading took place at
19.2Kbaud without any problems at all ( after I finally set Kermit to the
correct protocol that is 8-). I had a lot of data to get down, and also used
the amiga as a terminal for a while at 19.2Kbaud. This was on an A500 running
AD1.2 and as I said, the amiga had no problems with the speed I was using.

                           Alias: Gareth Bull
                 "The King is Dead. Long live the King."