[comp.sys.amiga] Looking for Icon Editor

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (11/25/89)

The other day, my brother and I were comparing notes about Amiga programs and
found we didn't have any good Icon Editor between us.  Having been on the
various networks and BBSes, we found that surprising.  So how do people go
about creating those incredibly large, alternate image icons?  Did we miss a
program in the Fish library?

David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mt. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (11/26/89)

From article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.89Nov24184221@uunet.UU.NET>, by cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson):
> The other day, my brother and I were comparing notes about Amiga programs and
> found we didn't have any good Icon Editor between us.  Having been on the
> various networks and BBSes, we found that surprising.  So how do people go
> about creating those incredibly large, alternate image icons?  Did we miss a
> program in the Fish library?

Use your favorite paint program to create the icon.  Then use BRUSH2ICON to
convert it to a .info file.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar 7420) (11/26/89)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.89Nov24184221@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>The other day, my brother and I were comparing notes about Amiga programs and
>found we didn't have any good Icon Editor between us.  Having been on the
>various networks and BBSes, we found that surprising.  So how do people go
>about creating those incredibly large, alternate image icons?  Did we miss a
>program in the Fish library?

There are several ways to produce some good, effective animated icons.
One of the best is a little program called IconAssembler, which takes an
IFF image (usually a brush from DPAINT), and converts it to an icon.
You can animate this using the MergeIcon program supplied by CBM.

There is also a program I have somewhere in my collection (I think it is
on one of the TBAG disks) that is an improved version of IconEd, and
adds line drawing and all of the things needed to produce decent icons
quickly.

While I am discussing icons, wouldn't it be nice if we could specify
more than two images, and thus have a real animation.  It would require
changes to intuitions gadget handling, but it could be very effective.
Unfortunately, it would also mean that some people could produce full
disk icons.....   Oh well.

If anybody cannot find these utilities, please mail me and I will see
what I can do.

Signature: Who cares?  Who reads them anyway.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (11/27/89)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.89Nov24184221@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>So how do people go
>about creating those incredibly large, alternate image icons?  Did we miss a
>program in the Fish library?

	Yes.  The programs IMAGE-ED (Fish Disk 242) and ICONMERGER (Fish
Disk 182) are wonderful.  IMAGE-ED allows you to draw your own images and
save them as icons, or C source code, or whatever.  ICONMERGER reads two IFF
brushes and turns them into a single alternate-image icon.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (11/28/89)

In article <3402@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.89Nov24184221@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>>So how do people go
>>about creating those incredibly large, alternate image icons?  Did we miss a
>>program in the Fish library?
>
>	Yes.  The programs IMAGE-ED (Fish Disk 242) and ICONMERGER (Fish

  It always suprises me when there's a all-in-one program about that does
everything that people ask for, and nobody knows about it.

  For icons, that program is IconMaster, by John Scheib.

It was on an Amnews disk (second issue, about the time WoC was in
California), but was released into the Public Domain aftetr the issue
had been out thhdree months.  At least, that's what the doc file
on the Amnews disk said.

Abilities it has:

1) Complete, any-size icon editing with scrolling window.
2) A complete set of drawing tools )line, circle, arc, etc.)
3) Ability to use any Amiga font in your icons
4) Ability to load in IFF brushes into both primary and alternate images
5) Ability to do any icon type, even change icon types on the fly.
6) Ability to set all icon ToolTypes, Tools, and flags within the program.
7) Allows you to modify existing icons as well as create new ones.
8) Uses the ARP FileRequester to set what you're creating an icon for.
9) Allows you to save either icon+flags or flags only, making it a
   poor man's Info command

  If anyone wants it, mail before Dec 15th and will mail it back out to
ya.  (Losing me account around the 15th....does anyone know of a
public USENET tie-in in Southern California/LA/Long Beach area?)

John

--
0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-0
|   There once was a signature here, but I dunno where it went.   |

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/29/89)

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:

>  It always suprises me when there's a all-in-one program about that does
>everything that people ask for, and nobody knows about it.

>  For icons, that program is IconMaster, by John Scheib.
>
>It was on an Amnews disk (second issue, about the time WoC was in
>California), but was released into the Public Domain aftetr the issue
>had been out thhdree months.  At least, that's what the doc file
>on the Amnews disk said.

I second this recommendation, at least as far as the quality of the program is
concerned.  I think the original poster was interested in _BIG_ icons, however.
Even IconMaster might have a hard time with some of the monstrosities out there.

I believe John maintains copyright and intends it to be shareware (according to
the docs included with it).  He also did UtiliMaster.  Both are professional
quality programs at a _CHEAP_  suggested contribution ($10).

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (bleys) (11/29/89)

There is an excellent icon editor available from John Scheib at 3805 Fairway
Circle, Las Vegas, NV, 89108.  The file that I've got says that he's asking
for anywhere from $10 to $25.  The expensive one will handle 8/16 color
icons.  I've seen this program in action, and if you're an iconifier, it's
great!