[comp.sys.amiga] Badge Killer Demo's on Xanth

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) (11/17/89)

[]
        To the kind people at xanth, would you mind breaking up some
of the badge killer demo's into multiple smaller files?  the problem now
is that I can't ftp the larger demo's, because I don't have enough
storage in my account here at UNLV.  I'd like to see them broken up
into groups of about 500K each, so I can ftp one piece, then download
it, then get the next.

Eric J. Schwertfeger, UNLV  maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (11/18/89)

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:

>        To the kind people at xanth, would you mind breaking up some
>of the badge killer demo's into multiple smaller files?  the problem now
>is that I can't ftp the larger demo's, because I don't have enough
>storage in my account here at UNLV.  I'd like to see them broken up
>into groups of about 500K each, so I can ftp one piece, then download
>it, then get the next.

Here, here.  There are 2 zoo'ed files in Badge2 that are like 1.4 and
1.7 Mb (I don't recall names off hand).  Even if I spend the time to
download them (probably all night), then what do I do with them?  I
guess I better start cleaning out my harddrive 8^)

Mike

|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (11/22/89)

In article <1981@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) writes:
   >        To the kind people at xanth, would you mind breaking up some
   >of the badge killer demo's into multiple smaller files?  the problem now
   >is that I can't ftp the larger demo's, because I don't have enough
   >storage in my account here at UNLV.  I'd like to see them broken up
   >into groups of about 500K each, so I can ftp one piece, then download
   >it, then get the next.

   Here, here.  There are 2 zoo'ed files in Badge2 that are like 1.4 and
   1.7 Mb (I don't recall names off hand).  Even if I spend the time to
   download them (probably all night), then what do I do with them?  I
   guess I better start cleaning out my harddrive 8^)

[ I've been busy and havn't been responding to news, else I would have
  responded to the first message... ]

If you're ftping from a UNIX machine (I see that atanasoff is a VAX
running UNIX), get the UNIX Zoo from xanth and break the archive down
as you wish on your own machine...

Or, download the file into RAM: on your Amiga and unpack from there
(generally, if you don't have the memory for the .ZOO file in RAM:,
you probably aren't going to be able to run it anyway...)

	...tad

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) (11/22/89)

>If you're ftping from a UNIX machine (I see that atanasoff is a VAX
>running UNIX), get the UNIX Zoo from xanth and break the archive down
>as you wish on your own machine...
>
>Or, download the file into RAM: on your Amiga and unpack from there
>(generally, if you don't have the memory for the .ZOO file in RAM:,
>you probably aren't going to be able to run it anyway...)
>
>	...tad

	I'll repeat myself to make things perfectly clear.  I can't unzoo
it on my UNLV account, because my account is limited to 800K. In other
words, I have no place to ftp the file too.  Now is my problem understood?
In fact, of that 800K, DNET takes up 200K (after I deleted several files).
	I'm just asking for a little understanding, in that there are
people who's only access to UseNet comes from a Student account with
severe limitations.  And I'm lucky, because all of my transfer credits
make me considered a senior.  My friends in the same clases I take only
get 400K of disk space, because they are juniors.
	UNLV may have a good CS major, but it doesn't have decent
equipment.  In fact, until last year, we were still running on a
HARRIS (GAG!).  Well, I'm rambling now, but I think I've made my point.

In article <1054@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:
> Tad Guy writes:
> >If you're ftping from a UNIX machine (I see that atanasoff is a VAX
> >running UNIX), get the UNIX Zoo from xanth and break the archive down
> >as you wish on your own machine...
>
> I'll repeat myself to make things perfectly clear.  I can't unzoo it
> on my UNLV account, because my account is limited to 800K. In other
> words, I have no place to ftp the file too.  Now is my problem
> understood?  In fact, of that 800K, DNET takes up 200K (after I
> deleted several files).
>
> I'm just asking for a little understanding, in that there are people
> who's only access to UseNet comes from a Student account with severe
> limitations. ...

Hmm...

Let me make something clear to you: the files available via ftp from
xanth are provided as a courtesy.  You don't pay me for those files.
Thus, I'm under no obligation to you to present those files in a
particular format.

The complaints address for xanth is clearly listed in the /README.
Had you contacted me directly (or had your posting been less
aggressive), I would have been willing to work something out...

Have you tried using /tmp or /usr/tmp on your machine?
They should be quota-less...

	...tad

(I should point out that I have not received via mail any complaints
 about the presentation of the badge demos on xanth...)

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) (11/23/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Nov21210107@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>Let me make something clear to you: the files available via ftp from
>xanth are provided as a courtesy.  You don't pay me for those files.
>Thus, I'm under no obligation to you to present those files in a
>particular format.
>
>The complaints address for xanth is clearly listed in the /README.
>Had you contacted me directly (or had your posting been less
>aggressive), I would have been willing to work something out...
>
>Have you tried using /tmp or /usr/tmp on your machine?
>They should be quota-less...
>
>	...tad
>
>(I should point out that I have not received via mail any complaints
> about the presentation of the badge demos on xanth...)

	I think a public appology is in order.  I really should reread
messages before I post them.  This is the second time that I've come
across as aggressive or just as a sh*t-head, without meaning to.
	I was not, despite the content of the message, upset or
attempting to insult.  Cranky yes, but that's due to my cold.  I thought
I had found something that might cause other users problems, but was wrong.
I will try using /tmp, but appologies come first.
	Also, I had read the README file back when I first started ftp'ing,
but I've got a memory like a sieve, and had forgot all about the complaints
address.
	Also, I'm well aware that the ftp site at xanth, as well as ftp'ing
and UseNet in general, is a privledge, and provided as a courtesy (at my
level at least, since the site does pay for it).
	Finally, I'd like to appologize for taking up net-bandwidth with
this message, but I was brought up to believe that an appology for a public
incident should be as public as the incident itself.

Eric J. Schwertfeger, UNLV  maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (11/29/89)

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>In article <1054@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:
>> Tad Guy writes:
>> I'll repeat myself to make things perfectly clear.  I can't unzoo it
>> on my UNLV account, because my account is limited to 800K. In other
>> words, I have no place to ftp the file too.  Now is my problem
>> understood?  In fact, of that 800K, DNET takes up 200K (after I
>> deleted several files).
>>
>> I'm just asking for a little understanding, in that there are people
>> who's only access to UseNet comes from a Student account with severe
>> limitations. ...
>Hmm...
>Let me make something clear to you: the files available via ftp from
>xanth are provided as a courtesy.  You don't pay me for those files.
>Thus, I'm under no obligation to you to present those files in a
>particular format.

I agree 1000%.  Of course, for whatever reason, not *everyone* can
download stuff (especially huge demos) themselves.  But there are other
schemes available.

How about your local user group - do you have one?  If not, I am the
librarian for our group and I have all the demos (and much more).  You
can contact me if there is no one closer to you and I can send them for
a very nominal fee.

I, like Tad (please don't let me put words in your mouth) get pretty
pissed when people complain about stuff I do as a *volunteer*.  After
all, it's not like I am a grad student with anything else to do 8^)

To Tad and the rest of the volunteers out there, keep up the good work.
Most people (I think) really appreciate what you do!!!