[comp.sys.amiga] Microbotics and Maxtor

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (11/18/89)

     Nope....

thanks all for the messages asking if the Guru strikes the maxtor
 on the prepping step...

That ain't the problem.... the damn thing gurus right on the
binddrivers.... can't even get close to formatting it

nearest thing i can get is from Maxtor is that their drive takes a long
time to return a Ready from the drive after the Reset is asserted
by the hardframe... and the Hard frame driver isn't used to
having to wait for the drive to respond to the reset... so it Gurus...

I have a description into Microbotics of the difficulty,
and i'm hoping to hear from Joanne Dow with a fix...
(Joanne are you out there????)

(I really want to get this thing working.... a set of 10 machines
worth of sales are kinda dependent on getting this damn thing working)

IE: come ON now.... Maxtors aren't exactly a trivial brand of drive!!!!
JpC
Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.

Heisenberg might have been here...

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/19/89)

In article <8911180603.AA17118@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>thanks all for the messages asking if the Guru strikes the maxtor
> on the prepping step...
>
>That ain't the problem.... the damn thing gurus right on the
>binddrivers.... can't even get close to formatting it

It's a long shot, but just in case...   I once had a problem with
the system guru'ing when I did a binddrivers.  It turns out that I
had two different versions of the Microbotics hardframe driver in
the expansion drawer.  Apparently at one time the driver was called
something else, and when I got an upgrade I just copied the new driver
to the expansion drawer, but the old one was still there.  Removing
the old one cured the problem.  Sorry, don't remember the names of
the drivers.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

greg@noel.CTS.COM (J. Gregory Noel) (11/19/89)

Fred Fish (fnf@estinc.UUCP) writes:
>It's a long shot, but just in case...   I once had a problem with
>the system guru'ing when I did a binddrivers.  It turns out that I
>had two different versions of the Microbotics hardframe driver in
>the expansion drawer.  ....

I just checked -- there's only one copy of the driver in my Expansion drawer,
so that's not the problem with the 2090 hanging in BindDrivers.  (I've tried
a number of different driver versions, so it was a distinct possibility!)
It's something for Jonathan to check on his configuration, though...
--
J. Gregory Noel, UNIX Guru         greg@noel.cts.com  or  greg@noel.uucp

sullivan@nssg.enet.dec.com (11/20/89)

In article <8911180603.AA17118@jade.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes...
"
"That ain't the problem.... the damn thing gurus right on the
"binddrivers.... can't even get close to formatting it
"
"Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
"Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.

    I  have  run  into  this with the HardFrame when working to get a
Omti 3527 controller up with St506  drives.  May  nnot  be  the  same
thing,  but  the  cure for me was to zero the first 100 or so blocks.
There was *something* out there that was giving a GURU 4 until I  did
that and re-prepped the drive.

    If you have another hard drive, you might make sure that IT is at
SCSI address zero, rdprep it to say it has the highest address on the
bus,  and  then  power  down  and  put  the maxtor back on the bus as
address 1. This should give you a fighting chance to rdrep it.

    In my case I just used the C-Ltd controller in my other Amiga (on
the  same  SCSI bus) to mount a partition that consisted of the first
cylinder and did a long amigados format (did not  say  quick).  After
doing this I just RDprep'ed as above.

Hope this helps!

	Steven E. Sullivan

rps2@amoeba2.UUCP (Rick Stevens) (11/30/89)

In message <8911180603.AA17118@jade.berkeley.edu>,
                      CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>That ain't the problem.... the damn thing gurus right on the
>binddrivers.... can't even get close to formatting it
>
>nearest thing i can get is from Maxtor is that their drive takes a long
>time to return a Ready from the drive after the Reset is asserted
>by the hardframe... and the Hard frame driver isn't used to
>having to wait for the drive to respond to the reset... so it Gurus...

Yes, some Maxtors have problems with HardFrame. You've nailed the problem.

There is stuff in the mill re: handling this kind of bug (yes, it's a
Maxtor bug).

>I have a description into Microbotics of the difficulty,
>and i'm hoping to hear from Joanne Dow with a fix...
>(Joanne are you out there????)
>
>IE: come ON now.... Maxtors aren't exactly a trivial brand of drive!!!!
>JpC

Yes, Maxtor isn't exactly a trivial brand. The most common problem with
them is that the older beasts had some nasty stuff in their ROMs which
doesn't arbitrate the SCSI bus properly. Newer drives don't exhibit
_those_ problems, but the RESET bug still exists. It'd be nice if
Maxtor would fix their SCSI stuff. (No, this isn't a flame, but I'm
getting fairly tired of everyone blaming MicroBotics for other companies'
problems. Remember the flap about HardFrame and rev. 6 motherboards?)

I just find it facinating that HardFrame works just hunky with _fixed_
rev. 6.x motherboards and drives which conform to true SCSI. So let's
knock off the MicroBotics bashing, ok?

(Yes, I do some consulting for MicroBotics).

    ::EOF:: End Of Flame

| "Growing old ain't for sissies"  - Bette Davis    | [O O]  Rick   |
|                                                   |   ?   Stevens |
| ..uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!rps2             |   V           |
| ..uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2     +---------------|
| CIS: 75006,1355  -or-  75006.1355@compuserve.com                  |