[comp.sys.amiga] Euro DevCon

rouaix@margaux.uucp (Francois Rouaix) (11/24/89)

In article <36512@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>Something interesting has crossed my desk from C=. I just received
>the announcment of the European DevCon, to be held in Paris, in Feb.
>
>Enclosed is an agenda. Among the topics to be discussed is
>"Introduction to the A3000" and "The A3000 Expansion Bus".
>
>Hmmmm. Can't wait.
>                                                      *** mike smithwick ***

Yeah. This reminds me that this next DevCon was supposed to be a WORLD
Devcon, I mean I understood that from various reports on SF Devcon.
And then the announcement comes, and its only an European conference,
just like our last one in Frankfurt. The programme is nevertheless great,
but the question is: will YOU guys from the States come to Paris ?
(maybe this 3000 topic is just a bait for you anyway ;-))
The newly founded Software Winery (!) will be happy to meet you there.

--Francois

*- Francois Rouaix                 //       We are all prisoners here,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           of our own device             *
*- SYSOP of Sgt. Flam's Lonely Amigas Club. (33) (1) 39-55-84-59 (Videotex)  *
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own, not those of my employer.

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (11/27/89)

In article <318@seti.inria.fr> rouaix@margaux.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>In article <36512@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>>Enclosed is an agenda. Among the topics to be discussed is
>>"Introduction to the A3000" and "The A3000 Expansion Bus".

Hmmm, yeah, I suppose Commodore wouldn't like to pre-supplement our own
DevCon notes, huh? :) :)

>>Hmmmm. Can't wait.

For the computer!!!  Can't wait for the computer -- talk's cheap... :)
>>                                                      *** mike smithwick ***

>...just like our last one in Frankfurt. The programme is nevertheless great,
>but the question is: will YOU guys from the States come to Paris ?
>(maybe this 3000 topic is just a bait for you anyway ;-))

Yeah, and it is just about the only thing worth going for... The rest
of the conference is 1.4 -- which is something we [I] already heard about
in the last conference...

>The newly founded Software Winery (!) will be happy to meet you there.

How about info -- "We want information..."  :) :)

>--Francois

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/28/89)

in article <19949@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) says:
>>>"Introduction to the A3000" and "The A3000 Expansion Bus".

> Hmmm, yeah, I suppose Commodore wouldn't like to pre-supplement our own
> DevCon notes, huh? :) :)

I'm sure the A3000 notes will be made available to developers here in North America.  I
have some writing yet to do...

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/28/89)

From article <318@seti.inria.fr:, by rouaix@margaux.uucp (Francois Rouaix):
: Yeah. This reminds me that this next DevCon was supposed to be a WORLD
: Devcon, I mean I understood that from various reports on SF Devcon.
: And then the announcement comes, and its only an European conference,
: just like our last one in Frankfurt. The programme is nevertheless great,
: but the question is: will YOU guys from the States come to Paris ?
: (maybe this 3000 topic is just a bait for you anyway ;-))
: The newly founded Software Winery (!) will be happy to meet you there.

	I'd sure like to go... But it'll depend on how much money is involved.
Does anyone out there have a good estimate?

: --Francois
:
: *- Francois Rouaix                 //       We are all prisoners here,       *
: *- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           of our own device             *
: *- SYSOP of Sgt. Flam's Lonely Amigas Club. (33) (1) 39-55-84-59 (Videotex)  *
: Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own, not those of my employer.
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

koshy@abekrd.UUCP (Koshy Abraham) (11/29/89)

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:

>	I'd sure like to go... But it'll depend on how much money is involved.
>Does anyone out there have a good estimate?

Well I can't give an estimate of how much it will cost for people from the U.S.
but here in the U.K. the cost would as follows :

Conference fees                 - 280 pounds
Hotel room (special group rate) - 60 pounds per day/night
Travel expenses                 - 100 pounds ???
Personal expenses               - ? (Paris is an expensive place)

Hotel charges are for the Holiday Inn Paris where the conference is being held.

Maybe I should talk to my brother about arranging special rates for the hotel
to keep the cost down.

Regards,

Koshy.

--
Koshy Abraham               NET: koshy@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.  UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!{reading,pyrltd}!abekrd!koshy

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (12/01/89)

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:

>	I'd sure like to go... But it'll depend on how much money is involved.
>Does anyone out there have a good estimate?

                        Valentin's guide to Paris
                        -------------------------

The bulk of the cost are going to be the air fare and the conference fees.
Otherwise food, hotel and transportation are cheap.

Hotel room costs vary according to quality. The city certifies hotels as one,
two or three star hotels. Forget about the four and five, unless you have a
Platinum Visa card. You can get a decent two star hotel for 150-200 francs.
Add 20% if a second person shares a room with you. Add another 10% for rooms
with showers. Bathrooms are common for a floor. Don't be surprised, it's like
that all over Europe, except Russia where they have bathrooms in every room
but no toilet paper on the other hand.  :-)

If you can't afford the hotel in which the conference takes place, Don't
reserve for a hotel room in the U.S. in advance. As you arrive in Paris at
the airport (or train station) a tourist information booth can reserve one
for you. They'll charge you 20F for the service.

If you arrive during the afternoon or early in the evening, don't even do that.
Just get to the conference site and walk around the block. There are hotels
everywhere, particularly the two star type. Usually you can see several of them
in a row, side by side. Prices are posted on the entrance door, so compare
before walking in. Don't worry about not finding vacant hotels, you can always
walk another 50 yards to see if the next one still has rooms. And in February
that really won't be a problem.

The reception halls are very well kept, so don't be suprised if the room you get
has wall paper dangling. The Ceapo Inn might look wary, but its comfy and quiet
at night.

As you arrive at the airport, its going to cost you 20 francs to get to the
nearest subway station by bus. (20 minutes) The subway itself is about 5 francs.
The people in France talk like baseball players. BTW, a subway is a RER, and
IMHO it will get you there ASAP, OK?

Restaurants are like hotels. You can spend 80F or 300F on a meal, and both might
be equally delicious. You can get a treat for 150F. Pick out a busy boulevard
and stray out on a little road, you'll find good restaurants there. The better
hidden a restaurent is, the higher the taste/price ratio.

If this is your first time in Paris, you must also eat in the Eiffel tower.
There are two restaurants on the first floor, a fast-food and a classy. Contrary
to popular belief prices there are not sky-rockety, despite the tower's rocket
shape. And be a good sport, take the stairs up, that'll give you more appetite.

Don't drink coke, drink wine - it's cheaper. And party all night long, that's
what the wine is there for.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327