[comp.sys.amiga] Help with A2090 and SCSI disk

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (11/26/89)

Help!  I am very confused and completely at a loss.  I am trying to get an
Imprimis 3.5 inch SCSI hard disk (I believe that the model name is "Swift"
and the number is I94351-160) to work with my A2090 controller.  I am
using 1.3 Workbench (34.28) and Kickstart (34.5).  Binddrivers works alright
and causes quite a bit of disk accesses.  I mount RES2: using the mountlist:

RES2:     Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 3
           Flags  = 0
           Surfaces  = 9
           BlocksPerTrack = 30
           Reserved = 0
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 1
           Buffers = 5
	   BufMemType = 0
#

The mount succeeds.  When I run prep, I tell it 9 surfaces, 30 blocks per
track, and 1072 cylinders.  I tell it that I want my first partition to run
from cylinder 2 through 4 (I have also tried the entire disk.).  I accept
the defaults for all else.  When it begins the prep itself, the disk does
about two head movements, and then nothing else happens -- at least not for
half an hour.  The disk is supposed to be 142 Mb, and I have tried many
variations on blocks per track, clyinders, and surfaces.  Please help.  I
have never had to deal with a SCSI drive, so feel free to point out what
should be obvious.  Thanks.

Stephe
{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     sjm@well.sf.ca.us
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

In <24665@cup.portal.com>, Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com writes:
> Reduce the number of Surfaces to a maximum of 7. There is apparently a
>limitation (bug?) in DOS which causes it to gag on larger values. You
>will have to increase the BlocksPerTrack an appropriate value so you
>can use the entire disk. Remember, SCSI accepts only block numbers, so
>the driver will simply multiply the number of surfaces by the number
>of blocks per track to get the entire size of the disk.

I have run drives with 8 and 11 heads with no problem whatsoever, on both the
2090, and the 2090A. Currently I am running a 3.5" Maxtor LXT100 wirh 8
surfaces, and a Micropolis 1355 ESDI drive with 8 surfaces on the 2090A with
it's ROMs removed. No problems with either one.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com (12/03/89)

 This has come up a few times before. Perhaps someone could put a note
in intro to comp.sys.amiga?

Rick_R_Kitts@portal.cup.com
rkitts@slacslc.BITNET