[comp.sys.amiga] 2500UX and Multiple serial ports

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (11/17/89)

Hi,
	I'm looking into getting the ASGD Multiple serial port card
for my 2500.  My questions is whether or not it will work with Unix
SYS V r4 when it finally comes out for the amiga.  Any one have a
clue?  I would like to think it's possible, but I'm not sure how UNIX
will take over the machine.  Will it totally ignore all the regular
devices and go directly to the hardware?  Or will it continue to use
devs: ?  I'm assuming the former, if only for speed and to cut down on
headaches for the UNIX guys  :]

	This also brings up the question of the Flicker Fixer
Compatibility and other add on boards.  Will it just mean writing new
device drivers for UNIX to use these beasties?

	Thanks for the info!  Reply to me and I'll summarize.  Or
don't.  Your choice...

			John

--
John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | Club a Baby Seal for JESUS!
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   |

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (11/21/89)

In article <5685@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:

>[question about serial port board compatibility with unix]
>
>	This also brings up the question of the Flicker Fixer
>Compatibility and other add on boards.  Will it just mean writing new
>device drivers for UNIX to use these beasties?

In the case of flicker fixer, there's no problem. The CPU doesn't
know it's there so it works fine with unix, Amax or whatever.

--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/21/89)

in article <5685@wpi.wpi.edu>, john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) says:

> 	I'm looking into getting the ASGD Multiple serial port card
> for my 2500.  My questions is whether or not it will work with Unix
> SYS V r4 when it finally comes out for the amiga.  Any one have a
> clue?

With the proper UNIX device driver, any Amiga hardware device should work
just fine under AMIX.  The hardware, of course, isn't changing.  While I
don't know any specific plans on their part, I do know that some of the
folks at ASDG used to write UNIX device drivers before they got into all
this Amiga stuff.

> John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/23/89)

In Message <8667@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
|in article <5685@wpi.wpi.edu>, john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) says:
|
|> 	I'm looking into getting the ASGD Multiple serial port card
|> for my 2500.  My questions is whether or not it will work with Unix
|> SYS V r4 when it finally comes out for the amiga.  Any one have a
|> clue?
|
|With the proper UNIX device driver, any Amiga hardware device should work
|just fine under AMIX.  The hardware, of course, isn't changing.  While I
|don't know any specific plans on their part, I do know that some of the
|folks at ASDG used to write UNIX device drivers before they got into all
|this Amiga stuff.

  I spoke with Perry about this a few weeks back. He said that currently
  ASDG has no Amix driver (or 2500UX), but they do want to write one. He
  felt the hardware would work but had no real idea when a driver would
  be available.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (11/28/89)

> In Message <8667@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> |in article <5685@wpi.wpi.edu>, john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) says:

>   I spoke with Perry about this a few weeks back. He said that currently
>   ASDG has no Amix driver (or 2500UX), but they do want to write one. He
>   felt the hardware would work but had no real idea when a driver would
>   be available.
>
>     Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS

Thanks to Dan and Dave and all the others who answered my question.
In summary...

Flicker Fixer will work no prob.  Kinda expected it but...

The ASDG Multiple Serial Port board will work fine if someone writes
the unix device drivers needed.  No idea when this will happen,
although ASDG is said to want to write one.  Hurrah!

Now all we need is AMIX at a good price... read cheap!

Thanks again!!

--
John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | Club a Baby Seal for JESUS!
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   |
Worcester, MA 01609 | husc6!m2c!wpi!john |
	Yank, rip, snip, sew.  A Vasectomy in four easy steps!

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (11/29/89)

re: the ASGD Multiple serial port card

In article <10004.AA10004@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:

>  I spoke with Perry about this a few weeks back. He said that currently
>  ASDG has no Amix driver (or 2500UX), but they do want to write one. He
>  felt the hardware would work but had no real idea when a driver would
>  be available.

I sure wish you guys would leave ASDG alone long enough for them to
write a useable library for their GPIB card. :^)

Perry said he was going to try & do some work on it this fall and I'm
afraid he's gonna want to work on these more lucrative/interesting
projects instead of getting my GPIB library up to speed. So buzz off
for now! I'll tell you when he's finished and then you can start him up
again.

I've been limping along for 4 months now on some cludges I put together
to talk to GPIB instrumentation. I can't figure out how to service
interrupts correctly inside a library, much less handle timeouts, so
I'm still polling the byte in/out registers. Really takes over the
machine when you are talking to a slow GPIB device.

Any hints on interrupts/timers inside a library would be appreciated.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/02/89)

In Message <24281@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <10004.AA10004@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>
>>  I spoke with Perry about this a few weeks back. He said that currently
>>  ASDG has no Amix driver (or 2500UX), but they do want to write one. He
>>  felt the hardware would work but had no real idea when a driver would
>>  be available.
>
>I sure wish you guys would leave ASDG alone long enough for them to
>write a useable library for their GPIB card. :^)

 I called Perry on his lunch break as to not interrupt any work on a library
 for the GPIB card or ASDG ;-)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (12/03/89)

In article <10108.AA10108@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <24281@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>>I sure wish you guys would leave ASDG alone long enough for them to
>>write a useable library for their GPIB card. :^)
>
> I called Perry on his lunch break as to not interrupt any work on a library
> for the GPIB card or ASDG ;-)
>
> Sneakers

Ha, Thanks Much. I also called Perry Fri., but hopefully not on his
lunch hour. I had sent my changes to the library via EMail back to ASDG
last September, but I guess they didn't get through, so I sent them
again. Anyway, looks like you guys can start bothering Perry again.
Things have changed and I'm gonna try making it interrupt driven
again. Maybe I'll be smarter this time.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu