From: nolra@ux1.lbl.gov (Arlon Hunt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.misc
Subject: PC vs. Mac:  Which One?
Date: 1 Dec 89 00:09:38 GMT
Sender: usenet@helios.ee.lbl.gov

After all these years of relying on VAX mainframes for all of my computer
needs, my wife and I are finally considering the purchase of a home
computer for purposes which I'll outline below (I know, I know, we're
behind the times, OK?).  However, the question is, should we go for a
PC-based system, or a Mac?

PLEASE E-MAIL YOUR SUGGESTIONS TO ME (after reading our requirements below)
RATHER THAN POSTING TO THIS NEWSGROUP.  I DON'T WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
STARTING A PC vs. MAC WAR.

Our requirements:

     a)  Business use.  My wife is a programming contractor (she's leaning
         towards a PC-based system since she may use the computer as a
         terminal to remotely login to IBM mainframe computers), and we also
         have a couple of other businesses on the side requiring record
         keeping.  I may form a company to make three-dimensional topographic
         maps using computerized data, driving a precision plotter.  Thus,
         I'll need to do a lot of floating point number-crunching.

     b)  Games.  We enjoy high quality games, and have two boys who also
         enjoy computer games (they already have a Nintendo).  We definitely
         want a high resolution color-graphics capability.

     c)  Word processing and desk-top publishing.  We would like to produce
         high quality publications for our business ideas, incorporating
         graphs and images into the publications.

I'd also like comments regarding upgradability, cost, options, etc.  (I've
got a hunch that Mac's aren't quite as flexible in these regards since there
are no Mac-clones (true?) )

----------------------------end of article---------------------------------

I have sent this individual some mail describing the Amiga.  It thought it
might be useful if others sent him good stuff about our favorite machine.
Just make sure you do it a professional way (i.e. No "Mac's Suck" messages).
Tell him how the Amiga fits the bill in all the categories that he lists
and give him some good, solid examples that he can check up on.  One thing
I did was send him a current price list :-)

                                               -Mike

Mike Conca, Computer Science Dept.   *  conca@handel.cs.colostate.edu
Colorado State University            *  conca@129.82.102.32
                 'Back off man - I understand computers!'