[comp.sys.amiga] Commodores cutomer service is the pits...

dulm@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Darrell Ulm) (12/01/89)

   Way back in the beginning of Sepember, my 1084S monitor fried about
4 months after the warranty I bought it (thats right, the generous
3 month warranty was up by only 1 month).  So I take it to my commodore
repaiar service center, but it is still not fixed and may not be if
commodore does not order the parts needed.  Basically commodore does
not care.  They do not make the 1084S anymore so why bother servicing
customers who own one?  You cant make money that way!  Every month
I call the repair center and they tell me "another month or so,
commodore still has not ordered any of the parts."  So here is what
we have.  I am 350$ poorer without a monitor and commodore is 350
richer without a conscience.  No wonder they can afford big ads, they
skimp on warranties and important things like that.

   I have heard that the 1084S has had problems, if so commodore must
pay to have it fixed.  There was no recall, but about half of those
monitors power supplied were shipped bad.  By law they must service my
monitor free or supply me with an equivalent model.  Does there cutomer
service listen?  No.  Does the repair center listen?  No.

  Well no one should break the law, I suspect others have had similar
problems with the 1084s.  If I am not rembursed withing the next month
(that makes 4 months in the shop) with a monitor of a refund,  I will
attempt in a very big way to bring the company to its knees.  Yes,
a big anti media campain.  Sue them.  Bring them to justice.  I
love the amiga.  It is the best machine anywhere for the price.  It
is fun,  and very flexible.  But the manufacturer is basically
breaking consumer laws to further their own progress.  That is wrong.
They are absolutely the worst computer company I have ever dealt with.
If they really want to change thier image, then they must let people
they are reliable.  That is why bussinesses do not touch the amiga.

Any one who has had similar problems and have not gotten any thing
done about it, write back and give me your postal address so I can
get thighs rolling if commodore does not produce.

Thnks for listen to me whine, but you would too if someone stole 350
dollars from you

			darrell ulm

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (12/01/89)

Well Darrell, are you trying to say something?  I don't know of any problems
with the 1084S monitor specifically.  I've had my Amiga system for about 5
months now and I have NO problems.  I've had my Commodore 64 for over 3 years
now and I didn't have any problems with that either and I know that they WERE
built poorly and broke down quite easily.(a friend of mine replaced his
6 TIMES during that same period)  The problem might be with the repair center
and you might want to try some other place instead of relying answers from ONE
source.  Besides, Commdore didn't even make the 1084's, it was Magnavox and
as far as I know, it is a reliable company.  I suggest that you look at some
other service centers before you start any legal actions because you will
probably not succeed.  And I don't think Commodore is ignoring the customer
service part because they just announced that they will increase the number
of service people at their West Chester headquarters.(they will approximately
double their customer service staff)

                                                    Sun...

P.S.  No, I don't work for Commodore and I am just trying to give some advice
before you waste your money on legal fees.

dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil (Roger Dixon) (12/02/89)

    What I think Darrell is trying to say is that regardless of who slapped
the silicon together (my 1084S was made by Phillips), it still carries the
C= brandname, and thus they are responsible for the quality.  My 1084S blew
up in August and is also still in the shop waiting parts.  It took the service
center 3 or 4 calls to CBM before they got a confirmation that Commodore
will cover the cost (I've had it over a year, but there was a period when
the 1084S was shipped with bad parts from what the service center told me),
and they still are getting "parts are backordered" from CBM.  Four or more
months to get common blowing parts is a bit long IMHO.  I know of a couple
of other friends who had problems with their Amiga system itself that got
simliar delays in repairs.  The bottom line is, if you sell them, then give
your customers timely support.

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/03/89)

Before you take legal action, it might be a good idea to write a letter to
the customer service people, and send a copy with a cover letter to
Coopean's office.
They'd be a LOT more helpful if it was in writing.  Telephone calls they can
just deny...

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (12/05/89)

In article <8ZRVUvq00WB8QmQFte@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) writes:
>Well Darrell, are you trying to say something?  I don't know of any problems
>with the 1084S monitor specifically.  I've had my Amiga system for about 5
>months now and I have NO problems.  I've had my Commodore 64 for over 3 years

Well, I don't know about the 1084S, but I've had my 1084 for a year and 10
months, and the only work done on it is a high-voltage adjustment that I'm
having done in 2 weeks...

| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #9: Pressure.  Unit: the CowPush (CP):        |
| Box 2308          | 1 CP = the pressure exerted by the average cow.        |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = [A(c)*m*x*[t(c)]^2]/[A*m(c)*l(c)]               |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |