[comp.sys.amiga] Getting Amiga 2000

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/27/89)

Well, I've finally worked up enough cash to get an Amiga 2000.  I now
have several questions for those of you out there who already have
one:
  - What is the best autoboot SCSI?
  - How much is the 2630 card?  What does it come with for that price?
  - Does GVPs 030 card support clock rates of up to 50 MHz?  What
    about the 2630?  Ie, can I stick a 50 MHz 68030 in there and still
    have it run?
  - What is this nibble mode DRAM?  Are they giving some strange name to
    something we already know and then jacking up the price?  If so,
    can I buy the RAM board unpopulated?  Also, what about the 2630
    and RAM.
  - Where can I get my 2000 at the lowest cost?
  - When is the 3000 gonna arrive?
  - Does anybody have a SCSI hard drive in the 100 to 300 meg range that
    they would like to sell?
  - Also, could those of you with Multi-scan monitors, please tell me
    what type you are using and what cabling you have.  I would like
    to get a multi-scan to support the new ECS.  What new resolutions
    will the ECS support?  What multi-scan monitors are supported by
    C=?

I realize that some of these questions are preferential, but that's ok.
I want people's opinions.

                                Thanks, Ralph Seguin
Ralph Seguin
(313) 697-1048

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu
Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

In article <47166755.17c4e@robin.engin.umich.edu>
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Well, I've finally worked up enough cash to get an Amiga 2000.  I now
>have several questions for those of you out there who already have
>one:

Well a friend of mine just bought an Amiga 2000, and we are researching for
a hard drive controller so I may be able to help a bit.

>  - What is the best autoboot SCSI?
We are leaning toward the 2091 controller when it comes out. It's DMA, and
the deciding factor, I think, is that someone here on usenet said it comes
with sockets for 2 megs of memory (is this true?)
As far as drives go, I am not sure which brand is best. still looking into it.

>  - Where can I get my 2000 at the lowest cost?

The best price we have found is Computability (1-800-558-0003) for $1299
delivered. This was last week. The 2000 arrived two days ago. complete with
1.3 and the super agnus chip.

You have to watch out for mail order Amiga's now. For some reason, CBM has
decided that they don't want people to get Amiga's by mail order any more, and
many of the places that still sell them mail order are so called 'gray market'
and may not be waranteed by CBM. Computability assured me that they are
an authorized commodore dealer and they have a contract with CBM that will
allow them to sell mail order until March 1990, when it will have to be
re-negotiated. Darren, the guy I talked to was very helpful and actually
seemed knowledgeable about the Amiga, something my local dealers are not.
---------

************************ A Plea to CBM *********************************

 Why are you cutting down on mail order? Many people live where there are no
local amiga dealers. Do you expect them to drive hundreds of miles just to buy
an Amiga?  And many of us live where the local dealers are SCUM.

We have two local Amiga dealers, Computers n Such, and Mr. Horan's Computer
Lab. Both of these places have nothing ever in stock, charge way too much and
have sales people and a service department that know next to nothing about the
Amigas. I wouldn't take my Amiga to their service people if my life (or my
amiga's) depended on it. Totally incompetent.

So CBM: Please don't stop mail order. Right now it is my only alternative, and
the competition helps keep the local dealers in line. Once they know that we
can't get the Amiga cheaper thru the mail, they will jack up the prices here.
They already do that, Computers n Such was selling the Amiga 2000 for $1549
and everyone was buying them and telling them "that's a pretty good price" so
they raised the price to $1649. Swift, eh? Can you say GREEDY?

Don't give them another reason to raise the prices.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (12/05/89)

In article <47166755.17c4e@robin.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Well, I've finally worked up enough cash to get an Amiga 2000.  I now
>have several questions for those of you out there who already have
>one:

	I may not quite qualify but I just spent the last few months working
	on the same problems: I'll be getting mine in the next couple of weeks.
	I put a down payment at WOC on a 2000 and picked up a harddrive and
	controller. (How's that for doing things backwards? :-))

>  - What is the best autoboot SCSI?

	I was hoping to find the new 2091 at WoC but I had no such luck. I
	was originally planning to get the GVP drive with the sockets for 2M
	of RAM. However, after attending closely to Dave Haynie's comments
	on controllers, I decided that I really wanted a good quality DMA
	drive. The only candidate was the Microbotics Hardframe and I picked
	up one for CDN$360 (a little less than US list which is pretty good
	for Canada) If the 2091 was available I would have seriously
	considered it - especially if I could have found Dave to grill at
	the show ( I tried to find you Dave but I had no luck - thanks again
	for your commentary on DMA/non-DMA et al)

	My reason for avoiding the GVP controller was that I plan on making
	heavy use of the Amiga's multi-tasking.

	I also decided to get a kick-a** drive to go with it and picked up
	a 105Quantum with 11ms access time for CDN$1049. Again, this is
	(seemed) a real bargain since another place was asking 1300 for a 80Q.

>  - How much is the 2630 card?  What does it come with for that price?
	Don't know the price or speed but it has an '882 and a '851 and 2M
	of 32 bit RAM. The CBM board will support 2,4,6,8M arrangements
	while the GVP board will only support 4 or 8M arrangements.

>    ... can I stick a 50 MHz 68030 in there and still have it run?
	No but you can get the FPU up to 33MHz by replacing the crystal and
	chip.

>  - What is this nibble mode DRAM?
	Nothing too special - it just takes advantage of an '030 addressing
	scheme that gets one 32bit longword in ?3? T states and then the
	next 3x32bits in ?1? T state for an average of 0 waitstates instead
	of having to take 2 T states for each longword (4x2=8 -> 1 waitstate)

>Are they giving some strange name to
>    something we already know and then jacking up the price?
	No, I think that it is a legitimate design tweak but not something
	that can't be used on other 030 boards. I am not the best qualified
	to answer this question.

>If so,
>    can I buy the RAM board unpopulated?  Also, what about the 2630
>    and RAM.

	You can buy the GVP 030 board with no memory. You will get a pretty
	decent speedup. Of course, to really fly you need the 32bit RAM. I
	may very well buy the board and then wait 6-12 months for the price
	of memory to come down. I was quoted CDN$1700 for the board with no
	memory.

	Good luck,
Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
uunet!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers58!keithh%atreus or keithh@bnr.ca