[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA Interface

james.goldberg@canremote.uucp (JAMES GOLDBERG) (11/30/89)

Does anyone know how one would interface an Amiga with a communications
receiver in order to decode and show RTTY, Morse, Packet. etc.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

randy@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Randy Hammock) (12/05/89)

In article <89120107511498@masnet.uucp> james.goldberg@canremote.uucp (JAMES GOLDBERG) writes:
>Does anyone know how one would interface an Amiga with a communications
>receiver in order to decode and show RTTY, Morse, Packet. etc.

What you would have to do is use a TNC to provide the interface
between the radio and the Amiga.  Packet Radio (at 1200 baud) uses the
Bell 202 standard while at 300 baud, it uses the Bell 301 standard (I think).
TNC stands for Terminal Node Controller.  You can find ads for these devices
in most any Ham Radio magazine such as "QST" and "73 Magazine."  If you have
a bridge board, there are TNC board sthat plug directly into a PC slot.
Depending on what kind of packet activity you have, you may also need the
KA9Q TCP/IP software package (has been ported to the Amiga).  Most TNCs
provide RTTY capabilities and some may even provide morse code reading
capabilities as well.  Good luck!

--
AMIGA /// |   randy@jato.jpl.nasa.gov  Telos - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
     ///  | hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov    ** GALILEO launch in October 1989 **