[comp.sys.amiga] 1084S Woes

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (12/03/89)

(Yes, this post IS important enough to send to everyone!)

In article <632@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, dulm@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Darrell Ulm) says:

> Way back in the beginning of Sepember, my 1084S monitor fried.
> Basically commodore does not care.  They do not make the 1084S
> anymore so why bother servicing customers who own one?

Commodore never DID make it.  All Commodore monitors are manufactured
by other companies for Commodore.  The 1084S, for example, was made
by Magnavox, I believe.

> I call the repair center and they tell me "another month or so,
> commodore still has not ordered any of the parts."

Not true either.  If any Commodore service center orders parts,
Commodore will ship them if they have them.  In this case, if there
is a holdup, it would have to be a delay in Magnavox sending the
parts to Commodore.  C= obviously can't manufacture parts itself
for a monitor it never manufactured in the first place.

Also: Did you ask the service center exactly what part was needed?
If they are willing to tell you, inquire about it at other service
centers to see if they too have problems getting the part.
I have heard of cases where the center blamed C= when they actually
never ordered the parts in the first place, for any one of a multitude
of reasons.  I'm not saying that's necessarily what happened in this
case, but please check into it.  If your center won't tell you what
part they are waiting for, it would sound suspicious....

> So here is what we have.  I am 350$ poorer without a monitor and
> Commodore is 350 richer without a conscience.

You really think C= made all $350 off of you?  I think it's likely
the store that sold you the monitor made more than C=.
More importantly, please don't be so naive to think that C= LIKES
bad publicity like this.  They are doing everything in their power
to get the parts from Magnavox ASAP - anything else would be stupid.

> No wonder they can afford big ads, they
> skimp on warranties and important things like that.

If you check throughout the industry, you will find that such other
"skimpy" companies like Apple and Atari also offer 90 day warranties.
It's not as if C= is wimping out in comparison to its competition.

> I have heard that the 1084S has had problems, if so commodore must
> pay to have it fixed.

Wrong.  If the 1084S had problems, Magnavox would have to pay.  They
made the thing, after all.

>Does there cutomer service listen?  No.

Well, obviously I listen.  However, you incorrectly assume that
customer service is somehow able to walk up to Magnavox and demand
the part to fix your monitor.  We'd really like to help you, but we
honestly don't have the power to.  :-I

>I love the amiga.  It is the best machine anywhere for the price.
>It is fun,  and very flexible.  But the manufacturer is basically
>breaking consumer laws to further their own progress.  That is wrong.

I won't deny that you have been mistreated--of that there is no doubt.
However, I also claim that C= has been mistreated by a monitor
manufacturer who won't ship the parts needed.  C= is caught in the
middle, losing profits AND getting bad rep. at the same time.

                                                       Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630  ||   Remote Commodore Customer        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705    ||   Service Representative           ||
|| State College, PA 16801       -------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1             ||
||      or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                   QLink: KurtTappe   ||

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (12/06/89)

In article <89337.002405JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET> JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
>Commodore never DID make it.  All Commodore monitors are manufactured
>by other companies for Commodore.  The 1084S, for example, was made
>by Magnavox, I believe.

Weren't there 2 models of 1084S - the 1084Sd and the 1084St (? on that one)
The d being made by Deiwu (spelling probably wrong) and the t by Toshiba?

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #10: Linear Momentum.  Unit: The CowHit (CH): |
| Box 2308          | 1 CH = the linear momentum of the average cow.         |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = m*x/[m(c)*l(c)*t(c)]                            |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (12/06/89)

In article <89337.002405JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET> JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
>(Yes, this post IS important enough to send to everyone!)
>In article <632@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, dulm@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Darrell Ulm) says:
>
>If you check throughout the industry, you will find that such other
>"skimpy" companies like Apple and Atari also offer 90 day warranties.
>It's not as if C= is wimping out in comparison to its competition.

I would hesitate to call Atari a big player in the PC market.  Better
to compare Commodore to IBM or Compaq, if that's the *kind* or reputation
that Commodore would like to have.  No?

>> I have heard that the 1084S has had problems, if so commodore must
>> pay to have it fixed.
>Wrong.  If the 1084S had problems, Magnavox would have to pay.  They
>made the thing, after all.

But he bought it from Commodore.  If he wants money back, he should
work through the vendor, or Commodore.  Surely you can't be suggesting
that he call *Magnavox* with this problem!  That's for Commodore to do.
I don't think you've made a good point here at all.  (I can imagine the
people at Magnavox now: "Well, sir, the part that went bad actually
wasn't made by us.  We buy it from Sony.  Why don't you call them?  :-)