[comp.sys.amiga] Mac RAMs in an Amiga 500

ma23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marcus Augustus Alzona) (12/05/89)

Is there any way to use old Mac RAM chips (256k SIMMS, I think) in an
Amiga 500?  Does any RAM expander board currently support them?

Marcus Caesar Augustus Alexander Laurence Hamelin Alzona
ma23+@andrew.cmu.edu

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (12/06/89)

Marcus Augustus Alzona writes:
>Is there any way to use old Mac RAM chips (256k SIMMS, I think) in an
>Amiga 500?  Does any RAM expander board currently support them?

Microbotics makes the 8-Up! board for the A2000 that will take 256k or
1M SIMMs.  Although, they have stopped making these boards because they
were only getting about 2 request per month for them.  They do not have
any, but you still might be able to find one at a dealer or used.  If
you find one, you will need to get some hardware that lets you use A2000
cards.  These will hold a total of 2Mb using 256k SIMMs.

Also, IVS makes a SIMMs memory expansion for their Trumpcard 500.  The
problems here are that you first have to buy the Trumpcard SCSI
controller and the case for the A500.  Then, IVS won't sell the memory
expansion boards unpopulated!!!  They will hold a total of 1Mb using
the 256k SIMMs but you have to buy it with at least 512k.

These are the only two solutions that I have found.  I have a friend who
is sitting on about 100Mb of 256k SIMMs.  We would *LOVE* to get them
into our Amigas.  We have decided to wire-wrap our own memory boards.  I
hope we don't blow up our Amigas! ;-)

I you find a better alternate, *PLEASE* let me know.

Stephen Holmstead
...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen                      //
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division          \X/  Amiga Forever!

"I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy."
	-- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.